Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I am new to the CrossRoads world this year. My wife an I had accidental twins which have us 4 kids under 4 years old! So, we sold our pop up and after months of searching paid cash for a 2007 31' QB Sunsetter! We got a great deal off ebay and love it!
I noticed that many of the screw heads are already rusty so here's my solution. I went to the hardware and bought stainless shutter screws with white heads. They only carry 20 at a time. So, every 7 days(when the order comes in) I buy 20 more and will replace over 200 screws!
Just thought someone else would want the tip.
PS. I have to got to the hitch shop to see what my 03 quad cab 1500 ram can do to not squat so bad.

Edited by: CampDad10

2 Boys/2 Girls

Galesburg, MI
CampDad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to BooinGa

I have just installed a Roadmaster Active Suspension for squat on my F150. I will test it this Memorial Weekend. I hope it makes a huge difference. I will let you know.

Call Roadmaster direct sales to purchase. They have the "do it yourself kit" so you don't have to dismantle your leaf spring U-bolts

Upgraded my hitch last year to a "Equalizer" LOVE IT! Absolutely stopped sway! Part #</span>90-00-1000

Best price was at www.rvwholesalers.com

Boo

Edited by: BooinGa

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/b0012/GaBoo3.png
BooinGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:56 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Hey, thanks for the info.I actually was given the equalizer bars with the hitch when I bought the trailer. It sagged quite a bit so the seller tightened the chains a little more. It helped, but it still sags. My local hitch shop said to bring it in all hooked up and he would help me see if the equalizer bars could be adjusted to help. He said that if i needed more help they sell the Road Master Active suspension and that it would be a total of $300 installed. Is that a good deal?
We take our "maiden voyage on memorial day along the coast of lake Michigan. I am an educator so we will be camping for several weeks this summer!

2 Boys/2 Girls

Galesburg, MI
Old 05-07-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

$300 is a good deal. I paid $289 + shipping to GA for mine. I also used a whole Saturday afternoon installing and adjusting. Installed price at my local shop was $475, which is why I did the do it yourself kit.

I started with a Reese hitch with the chains and "brake-pad type" bar. I had a good bit of sway with that system when big trucks passed me or windy days. I stayed nervous, so I really did my homework before I purchased the Equalizer brand hitch. It is an outstanding project for sway, but I do think the Reese was a better product for sag. Thus, enter the RMA Suspension. I am anxious to try the new set up out.

I really want a F250 or 2500 Duramax, but I can't afford that now. I opted to pay the $500 for a better hitch and $300 for suspension help instead of $30,000 to upgrade the truck.

Worth a try....

Old 05-07-2010, 02:11 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I hear ya on not paying more. We are big believers in being debt free. We paid cash for the dodge after looking for a year. It was a necessity with having 4 kids to tow along.
Anyway, my first tie ever pulling anything that big was when we picked up the camper in WI and had to drive through downtown Chicago to get home. It never swayed, and never had any other issues.
We have not bought anything to stock the trailer. We need things like a grill, appliances, etc.
What kind of indoor/outdoor carpet do you use?
If you have any other tips I welcome them!

2 Boys/2 Girls

Galesburg, MI
Old 05-07-2010, 02:54 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Go ahead, Buy that bigger truck, See how fast it over takes that little, Tinny , Tiny way too small camper lol. Thats how it all gets started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooinGa
$300 is a good deal. I paid $289 + shipping to GA for mine. I also used a whole Saturday afternoon installing and adjusting. Installed price at my local shop was $475, which is why I did the do it yourself kit.

I started with a Reese hitch with the chains and "brake-pad type" bar. I had a good bit of sway with that system when big trucks passed me or windy days. I stayed nervous, so I really did my homework before I purchased the Equalizer brand hitch. It is an outstanding project for sway, but I do think the Reese was a better product for sag. Thus, enter the RMA Suspension. I am anxious to try the new set up out.

I really want a F250 or 2500 Duramax, but I can't afford that now. I opted to pay the $500 for a better hitch and $300 for suspension help instead of $30,000 to upgrade the truck.

Worth a try....

gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:48 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I just have a Weber Smokey Joe charcoal grill that we take along.
Bought a precut indoor outdoor rug for $15 at Lowes
I store all my stuff in plastic tubs and roll my water hoses into a milk crate. That works great for them, and keeps the mud and dirt out of the holds.

gotoguy, we pulled my camper to Illinois last year with my brothers Duramax. It was awesome! I do wish I had the money to upgrade.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:21 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Visit lots of garage sales you will be suprised at what you can find there. Some people are getting out of camping or tailgating you can find grills coolers blankets plates and the list goes on. The dollar store is a good spot for inexspensive flat wear and pot and pans

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I go to Goodwill and St. Vincent de Paul stores for most of the camper needs. Dishes for a dime, sheets for 50 cents, etc. Then, when you want a change, take back what you have and get a new supply.
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:18 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I love my Coleman Roadtrip grill, with it's interchangeable griddles, I do all of the cooking on it, can have a griddle on one side grill on the other, or the thingie that allows a pan on it, my wife insists I cook omelets with my omelet pan at least once each outing. The grill has a pan that you pour some water into that contains the greasemaking it easy to keep it very clean. I use a hose that conects it to my propane tanks, so no extra tanks, no expensive throw-away canisters to fill landfills.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Thanks guys! Tom, where did you get the propane hook up? I was gonna get one of those grills for that purpose. I want light weight stuff for cooking etc. So, I wasn't sure goodwill would work. i can check though. I LOVE all the storage in this trailer! Since my last "rv" was a pop up I'm feeling spoiled now!

2 Boys/2 Girls

Galesburg, MI
Old 05-08-2010, 01:17 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

The grill is really important as for my wife and myself the meals are a big part of camping. We work different hours and only have several mealsa week together. But when camping we have all of them. I too, am an educator (as both ofour children are), my wife works evenings so our schedules don't work very well. The Coleman is one of the best things I've bought, besides my Cruiser. It's real versatile. Not very large and I store it in a large duffle, so I like to keep it somewhat clean. To hook it up I bought a Tee, male/female to connect between the tank and the connector from the regulator, has a third port for the hose that connects to the grill, the grill end of the hose has an end that looks like the top of the portable cannisters. Get a 12 or 15 foot hose, you don't want to cook right next to the trailer. Spent maybe 30 or 35 bucks at Farm and Fleet for the T and hose. Had to readjust the tank a bit and I used teflon tape. The one issue is if the first tank runs out the switch over eliminates the connector, but I rarely let the tanks run that low and can merely switch positions of the tank. Sorry I sound so enthusiastic, but I'm sitting here planning Memo Day and a 3 week trip inJuly down southincluding picking up the Grandson heading to the Outerbanks for a week. Summers off are worth all of the grief from students, parents, and our society as a whole. My 3 weeker will end at the factory rally and let me personallyinvite you to it. Went 2 years ago and met some great people, now I can put faces together with names and comments.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:43 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Well, as far as grief from the job...I am an administrator and 90% of my job is to discipline kids as the teachers refer them. Then there's the drama, bullying, character ed etc etc! Antway, my wife is a full time mom so we get all summer together! We aren't planning too long of a car ride this summer as I have a 5,3 and twin 1.5 year olds!! So, the car ride would drive me nuts. We are going near Mackinac City for a week, South Haven for Mem Day,up north again for 4 days in July, and somewhere ytbd in Aug.
I'll look for one of those grills. I need to buy a tv for rainy day dvd watching too.

2 Boys/2 Girls

Galesburg, MI
Old 05-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDad10
We have not bought anything to stock the trailer. We need things like a grill, appliances, etc.
What kind of indoor/outdoor carpet do you use?
If you have any other tips I welcome them!

If you search and research you'll begin to see what's a good price and what's not.

For a grill we use a Weber Q100 and a portable 10# propane tank. I like the freedom of being able to move the grill as needed per the site. Other appliances we have is an electric skillet and a ice maker to keep the drinks cold. I have found the ice maker the most convenient and most used thing pumping out about 30lbs of ice a day. Sure saves a lot of trips and $$$ on buying ice.

Indoor /outdoor carpet we use an awning mat from Camping World. It's rubberized so it dries fast with little holes in it to minimize the dirt build up. If does get dirty a power washer cleans it right up. It also was well worth the money and it folds up nicely into about a 3x3 square about 6" high. Here's the link on the mat.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...sure-mat/12842

A couple of things to consider for the basics:
Additional 30ft 30amp power cord
Additional 25ft water hose
A water filter of some sort, I use the inline filters hooked to the water hose that cost less than $20.00ea. One filter last us all summer for our weekend trips.
Small tool box with basic tools

Edited by: salda01

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

I went to that link and saw that they only had it in green. I was hoping to get a big one, and they only had that one in green. So, we would like one in brown and 8'x20'
We'll look around and see what's out there.

2 Boys/2 Girls

Galesburg, MI
Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Our local Goodwill store often carries new camping mats for 6 x 9 for $19.00 and 9 x 12 for $24.00
They work great, light weight and easily cleaned.
kcandsting is offline   Reply With Quote