Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2016, 07:15 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Rust Spots in Kitchen Sink

We took our 250RB to the dealer yesterday to fix some minor warranty issues. Some problems which we have seen others have (black tank valve stuck, A/C unit not cooling trailer down properly, toilet leak). However, another issue I brought to their attention to solve was minor rust spots in the kitchen sink. This is after three outings and not leaving water stand in sink after normal use. I should have taken pictures to post, but we were rushed yesterday to get home (dealer 2 hours from home). We will have to wait for the dealers thoughts on all our issues since they are 2 weeks behind schedule. Has anyone else seen the small rust spots in their kitchen sink?

GBZY
---------------
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
GBZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I have the same camper as you and after 4 camping trips I have not experienced rusting of the sink. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Picked up our 250 RB yesterday from the dealer. They took the sink out and polished the tiny rust spots out. Looks good. Offered no explanation for why the rust spots were in the sink. Especially on a stainless steel sink. Hopefully, the other spots don't appear. We have only used the RV 3 times.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #4
Site Team

There are different qualities of stainless steel. I'm sure they don't use the best.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:34 PM   #5
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBZY View Post
Picked up our 250 RB yesterday from the dealer. They took the sink out and polished the tiny rust spots out. Looks good. Offered no explanation for why the rust spots were in the sink. Especially on a stainless steel sink. Hopefully, the other spots don't appear. We have only used the RV 3 times.
Cheaper grades of stainless has lower levels of nickel and chrome. Also be cautious on your cleaners. Ammonia and other chemical can attack cheaper grades and cause the carbon precipitates in the stainless to rust.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
aerojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
Site Team

Plus bleach based products can also stain the sink to dark color streaks.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the extra advice on products "not" to use in the kitchen sink Currently, we use Seventh Generation Natural Dish Liquid, when washing the dishes, which is USDA Certified Biobased Product (95%) Natural Dish Liquid clinically proven hypoallergenic, a Dish washing liquid with no dyes or synthetic fragrances. Basically, the ingredients are plant-derived.

GBZY
---------------
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi