Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2014, 12:27 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Shore Power Problem

Just thought I'd update you on a problem I encountered today with my new trailer.

As background, I have RV storage at my house, so it is always plugged into 15amp shore power when at home. I've also had it out the 2 previous weekends with no issues at all.

We pulled into our campsite this evening, set up, and plugged into the 30amp shore power. My wife noticed an electrical smell coming from near the converter. Didn't pay too much attention to it until we noticed smoke coming from the pantry above the converter. I took out a couple drawers, and determined the smoke was coming from the main junction box where shore power comes in ahead of the converter. It was smoking badly. I disconnected the shore power, and it stopped smoking. With shore power disconnected, I opened the junction box to find a number of wire nuts were melting away at wire connections. I'm not sure what caused this; I tested the shore power, and it was indeed only 30amps. I suspect something came loose in the junction box and shorted...

Anyway, luckily we were only an hour away from home, so we packed back up. Trailer is in the driveway; no shore power, and I'll be taking it back to the dealer in the morning. Annoying considering it was only week number 3 with the trailer
Old 05-24-2014, 06:43 AM   #2
Site Team

I would suspect the wire nuts were not tightened enough. You should be able to cut the wires off just before them. Then strip the wire back, twist a new wire nut on. I always tape the wires and wire nut securely together afterwards. It seems to stop that loosening business.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:48 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Again , I recommend you shoot of an email with pics to CR, not just the dealer ,as they will probably not notify CR that they didn't tighten the wire nuts properly.
CR and the assemblers have to know of this potential fire hazard.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote