Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Sometimes when I am pulling in the slide on my 25rb it will make a strange noise for about the first foot of it going in. Then it stops for the rest of of the pull in. It almost sounds like the rubber sticking to the side of the trailer but I have watched the rubbers all the way around and nothing seems to be sticking. It also doesn't do this all the time and it doesn't do it when the slide is going out. Anyone else have this problem or suggestions,

Thanks

BrianEdited by: Badwin
Badwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
Site Team

You might try cleaning the wipers/seals if they are dirty, and then apply some silicone. They will slip along on the sides a lot easier after that.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Along the bottom of the slide is a beveled plastic edge and then plastic edging along the sides. When the slide is beginning to retract, it takes more power to lift the slide up over the main floor, so that could be the source of the noise. That will not cause any noise when the slide is being extended, only while retracting. Also, the side edging has a tendency to develop cracks near the front edge and those will produce some noise. Just some different possibilities.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks guys I will look at the the bottom and clean the seals

Brian
Badwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

My slide does the same. I have found that it is the top 'wiper' seal. When you extend the slide it is pulled in to an 'angled out' position... When you begin to retract the slide it remains in that 'angled out' orientation for the first several inches until it manages to catch on the roof of the slide. Then, I'll hear it dragging(funny noise) and 'pop' as it flip to the 'angled in' position. If you bring the slide in about a foot and look over top of the trim, from the inside, you should see the wiper seal.
2006 Ford F-250 6.0L

logicsrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:04 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

My slides make some God awful sounds, scares me every time I extend or retract. Creaking and groaning. I have applied slide lubricant, but have not lubricated the seals. Still pretty new so I will work with it and see if it gets any better.

Just in case one of these slides get stuck in the out position, what do you do to get them back in ?

Ready to Rumble
cwalther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
New Camper

We just purchased 2014 250rb and were told to apply " white lithium grease", a lite coating on gears only. Once a year. Bought a tube at home depo, hope that helps you.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:52 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherlady4
We just purchased 2014 250rb and were told to apply " white lithium grease", a lite coating on gears only. Once a year. Bought a tube at home depo, hope that helps you.

You may want to check with Crossroads on this and read your manual. I have never heard of grease recommended. Just cleaning and maybe a dry lube. By the way congrats on your purchase!
Old 10-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

fisherlady4-
White lithium grease is a dirt and grit magnet. Please don't use that on your gears. My owners manual based on a Lippert slide says not to use any lubricant. Check your slide's manufacturer for their recommendation. I use white lithium on my hitch ball and Equal-I-Zer hitch head moving parts but clean it off regularly.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I can tell you that our bedroom slide made awful noises. We thought we were doomed , something major. The tech did tell us once a year or so to grease the gears... now check with Crossroads, all I know is that it fixed the noise.... thankfully. Wish they would have told us that , we did not see it in a manuel
Old 10-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

oh to clarify the bedroom slide stands alone from the other 3, those never made noise and he didn't say anything about greasing those.