Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Slide not working proplery

We have a 2012 Sunset Trail Reserve (25' I believe) and have been having issues with the slide since getting it out of storage from the winter season. The slide isn't going out evenly, and because of this, when we started home from camping this past weekend (first trip of the summer), the slide would only come in 4-5" on one side, the motor on the other side sounded like it was starting up but would stop and then the whole thing would stop. I managed to find a video online to show us how to override the system, and then when it did start pulling the slide in, it was so crooked, it started hitting the mantle of the fireplace/tv. My husband had to go outside and push on that side so it would come in enough to close and not hit the mantle. What could be the issue and how do we fix it without having to pay the dealership $75/hour to do it. HELP please. Thanks.
fastcatkerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

There is no easy way to fix it. The motors on both sides are data motors, that have a controller that is hidden someplace in the trailer. We have a 2012 that had the same problem until the slide came out and dug into the floor. It seems to be a design problem with the slide travel is more than half the width of the trailer. They solved this later by making a slide on either side that went out half the distance.
I went to Crossroads, which ignored me because it was out of warranty, and then the manufacturer of the hardware, that had an excuse that made me sick. I had the unit repaired as i could not use it with the slide manually pushed back in by three people so i had it fixed. It took 4 months and $2600, and I have to hold my breath every time it opens and closes. I have been an electrical and mechanical engineer for over 55 years, and what I see for the money we spend makes me sick. I am afraid you will have to go to the experts to get your slide fixed.
papabear9695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:41 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Is the slide a Schwintec slide...If so go on You Tube and type in Schwintec RV slide systems...there should be tutorial on how to synk your slide motors...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:29 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear9695 View Post
There is no easy way to fix it. The motors on both sides are data motors, that have a controller that is hidden someplace in the trailer. We have a 2012 that had the same problem until the slide came out and dug into the floor. It seems to be a design problem with the slide travel is more than half the width of the trailer. They solved this later by making a slide on either side that went out half the distance.
I went to Crossroads, which ignored me because it was out of warranty, and then the manufacturer of the hardware, that had an excuse that made me sick. I had the unit repaired as i could not use it with the slide manually pushed back in by three people so i had it fixed. It took 4 months and $2600, and I have to hold my breath every time it opens and closes. I have been an electrical and mechanical engineer for over 55 years, and what I see for the money we spend makes me sick. I am afraid you will have to go to the experts to get your slide fixed.
Oh No, I hope we don't have the same issue as that. We did a manual override per a video I found online from Lippert, and it did come in eventually, with my husband guiding one side so it didn't hit the mantle. When we got home, it went out just fine, I'm not looking forward to bringing it back in again, but hopefully after synching them, and maybe adjusting them underneith it'll work better. This is the first time we have had any issues with the slide, hopefully we can get it resolved. We will have this camper at least 3 more years till its paid off, lol.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Fast
You did not confirm that your slides were Schwintec, I just assumed they are, so with that being said, you might want to also search this forum, if I remember correctly there was a thread about a month ago that address syncing the slide motors...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #6
Gone Traveling

To start, look up the procedure to lubricate the motors with a silicone spray, after sitting all winter they may gotten condensation, dust or whatever in them. Others will say don't lubricate, but it was recommended by the factory techs to me & after 5 years of fulltime use have not had any slide issues. ONLY use a silicone spray, no grease, NO regular WD40 (WD40 does have a silicone spray which is OK). In fact the silicone spray is the only lubricant you'll need on a rv, use it on doors, windows, steps, everything, regular WD40 is a dirt/dust magnet to be used on rusted .bolts.
Then to sync them, if they're Schwintech, have the slide "in", extend it 3" to 5" then retract while holding the button 4-5 seconds after the slide stops moving, do this 4 or 5 times in a row being sure to hold the button each time, then extend the slide fully & again & always hold the button up to 5 seconds after it stops moving. ALWAYS continue to hold the button for about 5 seconds after the slide stops whether going in or out, this helps keeps the motors synced.
My guess is if the slide worked properly when you stored it, the lubrication & the sync will probably fix your issue.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:33 PM   #8
New Camper

I ended up buying a motor on eBay and fixing it myself with some help from internet , it wasn’t that bad to fix if you have some mechanic ability , don’t think it cost me even $200. To fix it. Look up manufacturer of slide they had info on their site.
Badfl97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

If you have Lippert system then you will have 4 cables and one motor check to see if all the cables are tight. If one is very loose it broke and that is your problem if they are all tight then the gearbox is likely to blame. I replaced my gearbox last fall on a 2015 25ft tutorials are online for both. If you are mechanically inclined then its pretty easy. Otherwise get quotes
Smokinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:38 PM   #10
New Camper

Slide

Had same problem with my 289qb had to get it adjusted by dealer, worked great after that

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcatkerry View Post
We have a 2012 Sunset Trail Reserve (25' I believe) and have been having issues with the slide since getting it out of storage from the winter season. The slide isn't going out evenly, and because of this, when we started home from camping this past weekend (first trip of the summer), the slide would only come in 4-5" on one side, the motor on the other side sounded like it was starting up but would stop and then the whole thing would stop. I managed to find a video online to show us how to override the system, and then when it did start pulling the slide in, it was so crooked, it started hitting the mantle of the fireplace/tv. My husband had to go outside and push on that side so it would come in enough to close and not hit the mantle. What could be the issue and how do we fix it without having to pay the dealership $75/hour to do it. HELP please. Thanks.
Mopl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:56 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Slide issues

We had so many issues with our Lippert slide out and stabilizers. Our 2012 Sunset Reserve had issues from day 1. Our slide was rebuilt 2 times and it still came in uneven and ripped up our flooring.

A private mechanic replace the roller system with two 6” rollers & stabilize the drive shafts on either side of the slide. (In the walls)

We will never buy another trailer with Lippert components
pennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #12
New Camper

Ive had the same problems check the plug in connection on the side that is not coming in. there is a plug in at the top behind the casing and mine came unplugged and no dealer could figure it out I kept looking (for 3 wks) was getting ready to get rid of the camper until I noticed it didnt look the same as the other side and notice it unplugged. Plugged it in and worked. this spring same thing happened it would not go out evenly and it stopped went and checked and it was unplugged again I am going to use electric tape and tape it
formalgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:21 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Our mechanic figured out the plug issue and like you suggested, he taped it together. The slide was still tearing up the floor and it took almost 2 years after dealers and Camping World could not stop the gouging issue to find someone that could fix it.
pennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #14
New Camper

I had the same problem

The company who makes the slide said to my technician that crossroads had made the opening a little larger resulting in this problem he ordered a new frame now it works with ease call Lippert the manufacturer of the slide they'll tell you what I mean good luck
Tim Prinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:00 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Slide issues as well....

We are currently experiencing a major issue with our lippert in wall slide system in our 2012 crossroads sunset trail 25RB. It hasn't worked properly since we purchased it second hand 2 years ago, however the place we bought it from told us it was working normally, even though we had a feeling it wasn't. Well last weekend our fears of it not working well were confirmed when we tried to come home from a trip and the slide wouldn't come in, nothing worked, not the manual override, not unplugging it and pushing it in, nothing. It was stuck (jammed) half way in and we ended up leaving it at the campground until we could go back (over an hour away) and try again. 2 days later we did go back and were able to get it in all the way and get it home. After trying a few things the lippert technician suggested, it still wouldn't work, so we took it to an RV tech other than where we bought it from. He couldn't get it unjammed, even after removing the motors, and had to take the entire system apart (going to cost a pretty penny in labour charges for sure). He tells us the system was never installed properly in the first place, and we now have to replace the entire rack system and tracks. The tracks were installed crooked which meant every time the slide was used, it was binding, and finally last weekend it jammed. Going to cost us over $1500 by the time it's all said and done, and I think Crossroads should come clean for some of the charges, at least for the parts required, since it wasn't put together right in the first place. Not a happy camper, especially since we are suppose to leave on vacation next Friday, and right now our camper slide is in pieces.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:16 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Lippert slideout system, and exercise in futility

We also have a 2012 28 foot unit with 2 slide outs. The small one in the bedroom area still works. The large one, that extends over 4 feet, the dinning area has been and will always be the major problem.
Our unit jumped out of the tracks and dug into the floor.
We waited 5 months for the parts and the people at Camping World with help from a Lippert rep to fix our unit. The repair cost was just under $2000.
The Crossroads factory had no response as a 2012 is out of warranty.
The Lippert factory that makes many different items for our RV had no response that made sense either.
The new 2016 + units have shorter extensions, as that seems to handle the problem.
I have been a electrical/mechanical engineer for over 55 years, and buying any RV is a Buyer Beware situation. It took 3 years to find out that my upholstery was not made to withstand the temperature of a closed unit in the summer, and I had to replace all of it for more $$$. The upholstery is from another division of the same Lippert company.
Everybody looks the other way.
There should be a class action suit against the manufacturers and suppliers or this will continue.
papabear9695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear9695 View Post
We also have a 2012 28 foot unit with 2 slide outs. The small one in the bedroom area still works. The large one, that extends over 4 feet, the dinning area has been and will always be the major problem.
Our unit jumped out of the tracks and dug into the floor.
We waited 5 months for the parts and the people at Camping World with help from a Lippert rep to fix our unit. The repair cost was just under $2000.
The Crossroads factory had no response as a 2012 is out of warranty.
The Lippert factory that makes many different items for our RV had no response that made sense either.
The new 2016 + units have shorter extensions, as that seems to handle the problem.
I have been a electrical/mechanical engineer for over 55 years, and buying any RV is a Buyer Beware situation. It took 3 years to find out that my upholstery was not made to withstand the temperature of a closed unit in the summer, and I had to replace all of it for more $$$. The upholstery is from another division of the same Lippert company.
Everybody looks the other way.
There should be a class action suit against the manufacturers and suppliers or this will continue.

I agree on the class action, its ridiculous that this keeps happening over and over. Luckily ours didn't dig into the floor, but its still gonna cost us greatly to get it fixed. We're suppose to leave for a week to travel with our son on his first big camping trip, but I don't think we'll have the money to go after all these repairs. Its so sad. Another summer ruined by a camper we are paying good money for.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcatkerry View Post
The tracks were installed crooked which meant every time the slide was used, it was binding, and finally last weekend it jammed. Going to cost us over $1500 by the time it's all said and done, and I think Crossroads should come clean for some of the charges, at least for the parts required, since it wasn't put together right in the first place. Not a happy camper, especially since we are suppose to leave on vacation next Friday, and right now our camper slide is in pieces.
I've had a number of slide problems with my 2013 Crossroads Reserve 32RL 5th Wheel. I too was told by the second repair facility that Crossroads sent me to that the opening the side of the trailer was not square, nor was the main slide itself. The repair facility said that the slide was too heavy for the Lippert slide mechanism to handle. Next, the kitchen side went out. Turns out the slide was pinching the walls of the trailer, binding up and throwing the slide out of alignment, thus shutting down the movement of the slide. Upon inspection, our RV repair facility found that the slide tracks had broken teeth on both the motors and the racks. Fortunately, our extended warranty covered most of the $1,800 repair. Once again, I was told that the kitchen side slide was too heavy and not in alignment with the opening on the passenger side of the trailer.

So what can you say, CR did a poor job of engineering these trailers?! I owned a Forest River Wildwood 5th wheel for 15 years and never once had a problem the hydraulics slides mechanisms. My trailer has been in the repair shop 5 times due to slide issues. Enough said.
2013 Sunset Trail 32RL 5th Wheel (no longer own)
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #19
New Camper

we have a 2015 RL32 sunset with a hopping kitchen slide. Called the dealer, crossroads and BAL slides with no help.lubed it with BAL stated lube Zep-45 at 20.00 per can . no help, still hopps going in and out
Old 09-16-2018, 05:24 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

I have 2012 30re, had to get some one to push it, it takes 5-10 tries, no manual override. Took it in for the 3rd time, now they say slide is too heavy for frame and the wall supports coming off the frame are bent (the wall is dropping) the wall by the fridge is bowing from this. The newer models have now fixed this with a thicker gauge supports. Extended warranty refuses to cover this. I had it in the first year I bought it, they said it was fine, now they say $5000 plus to fix, need to straighten frame, replace supports and replace slides. Just the 2 of us , so never had that much weight on the slide out, if 200lbs, wife is 170lbs. I expected buying a new tailer would last a lot longer. We have had a list of problems, replacing stabilizer motor, front jack(as they are not water proof, micro wave started on fire the first time we used it, tv never worked when we 1st got it home, front cover had rock chips on it when we bought it, front cover was falling off they had to replace every 2nd screw, chair was torn, they plywood under the rubber roof was not glued or fastened down and is pushing up the rubber roof, the back window was falling out they put the wrong one in, among other things.
riderfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide issues, slide motor, slide uneven