Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
New Camper

Slide Out Floor Is Raised up when extended out

Ok I just bought my first Sunset Trail 254RB Camper. I have owned two other campers which had a slide out so I'm know how they work. The floor on the slide out on my new camper, when it is fully extended out, is still raised up just like it is when it is pulled into the camper. I called customer service and they said that it is normal and that is how they are made. First off, I would think that the plywood floor will break and cause problems over time. Also I have tripped on this several times. Can someone tell me if this is normal?
rcastle659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

We have a 250RB which is basically the same thing but the slide isn't flush with the floor on ours.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
New Camper

If you step on the edge of the slide out floor does it move or is it solid? I understand that it will be raised some.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

When extended and you step on the slide floor it's solid at least on the 250RB. I was able to see the new 254RB at the RV show earlier in the month and had a solid slide floor on it like ours.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcastle659 View Post
Ok I just bought my first Sunset Trail 254RB Camper. I have owned two other campers which had a slide out so I'm know how they work. The floor on the slide out on my new camper, when it is fully extended out, is still raised up just like it is when it is pulled into the camper. I called customer service and they said that it is normal and that is how they are made. First off, I would think that the plywood floor will break and cause problems over time. Also I have tripped on this several times. Can someone tell me if this is normal?
I don't know what they consider normal, but mine is not raised up when the slide is extended. The leading metal lip sits down on the floor. In my opinion, the leading lip (inside lip) should sit down on the main floor when the slide is extended. That's what supports the slide floor.
There has been many instances posted here on the forum about people walking on and using the slide when it's in the in position and pulling the walls loose from the floor because of it.
I would think your slide should be adjusted so it settles down when extended.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:59 AM   #6
Site Team

My kitchen slide is raised above the floor, but only about 5" sticks out. We avoid stepping on it. The dining slide is flush.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
New Camper

Thank you, kgie1217, Lloyd and mark5w for your input. Being that the floor moves is a sure indication that there is a problem. I'll be making an appointment with my dealership.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:43 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Best way to find out is on their lot....
check the rv's that are for sale like yours

flush floors were not prevalent for a LONG time, and then only upper end coaches, then 5'ers, then etc... got them...

so depends if yours has a flush floor... our coach actually rides up and over a set of large 'plastic' looking runners when it comes in....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SlideRampPic.JPG (67.4 KB, 14 views)

Tags
floor, raised up, slide out