Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Unhappy Slide/Roof Issue

We purchased our 2014 Sunset Trail ST32RL in November. We love the layout and the features. We did run into one problem with the Schewintek slide - something I actually anticipated after reading this forum. The kitchen slide gets stuck (not every time) when I move the slide in. This happens on the tongue end of the slide when I've brought the slide in about 3-6". I reverse the slide (all the way out) and bring it in...so far it has come in every time like that.

Today as I was checking over the unit I noticed on the top of that slide, on the end where it gets stuck, there is a 2.5" tear in the roof on the slide, parallel to the wall. I can only assume in has something to do with the slide getting stuck. I've also noticed a couple drops of water here and there (literally just a couple drops) around that area after the last torrential rain we had two nights ago. It seems to be coming down the power cord going to the motor.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is having the same issue. I have an appointment to take it 170 miles back to the dealer Monday December 30...at least (hopefully) we can get this taken care of before spring and the camping season!!
derekrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I should mention, this is our fourth unit (second new) and the only one I've ever had warranty work done to!
Old 12-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

The tear in the roof membrane needs to be fixed immediately and it sounds like the roof is making contact with the slide opening (maybe a loose screw) and that is causing the problem. I don't have the Schwintek system, but one cause of water leakage is with the aluminum side tracks. They are flat on top and therefore can collect water. If the trailer is sloped at all (which almost always happens), then water can run along the top of the track, past the slide seal and then drip down inside the trailer somewhere. The tracks should have been designed with a sloped top instead. One fix is to make a small water diverter using caulk right at the slide seal. Good luck.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Hi Dayle,
Good suggestion with the water diverter...I'll break out the caulk gun (again) when I get it back from having the warranty work done. I'll say did have to go over the whole trailer carefully and patch up the factory caulk work -- particularly around the slides.

I took a close look this morning after my initial post and found an area beneath the kitchen slide where the swipe seal on the underneath is not laying right -- where the seal makes a curve and the seal isn't cut well enough for it to lay right...I'd say almost the size of a quarter. That could also be where water came down and came in.

As far as the roof...I'm lucky it is on a slide and I can retract it and keep it 'safe' but it will be repaired soon by camping world of Roanoke where we purchased the unit. At first I thought perhaps it was a screw as well -- but it is parallel with the outside wall of the unit, and I'd expect if it were a screw that it would go the opposite way.

At any rate, we make the trek, all 170 miles, to Roanoke on Monday to drop it off. I've also asked them to repair a strut that holds up the outdoor entertainment system door. The plate where the strut attaches to the door was installed on an angle and it has started to pull away, striping the screw holes. I've also asked them to tighten up the stationary tv antenna...it seems to wiggle in the wind.

Even with these issues, I'm very happy with the unit. I'll be excited to actually camp in it come April.

Thanks again for the suggestion -- have a Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to Susan
Roanoke Va.???
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Yep, Roanoke, Virginia.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Pretty sure that is the trailer we looked at. We ended up buying out of state. Actually headed to the Roanoke camping world now. We need them to take a pic of out TV cabinet and order one. I think you can go to any Thor dealer for warranty work.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

We are really looking forward to camping in ours!!
Yes, any thor dealer...Roanoke is actually closest one to us. Re-calculated...only 140 miles and we are headed there Monday.

What issue are you having with the TV cabinet?
Old 12-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

The round hole is splintered all the way around. Poor workmanship. No big deal. We just left camping world and headed to Fredericksburg Koa. Camp a couple of days, work a couple of days then head to Williamsburg I think. We will give the unit a test out. The awning was sticking a little, will check that out also. Was the latch on the right hand side of the lounge chair fixed when you looked at your camper?
Old 12-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Somewhat fixed, yes, but something we are going to have them look at again when we take it back down.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Good luck! I love the lay out of this trailer also!
Old 12-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekrit View Post
...The plate where the strut attaches to the door was installed on an angle and it has started to pull away, striping the screw holes...
The strut on our outdoor kitchen completely pulled out. Crossroads (at the factory) replaced the entire door unit rather than attempting a repair because they said the screws had missed the reinforcement in the door. It works great now. BTW, if the strut pulls out and you are inside the trailer, it is a very scary noise.

Good luck and happy camping.
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
We just left camping world and headed to Fredericksburg Koa.
Please let us know what you think about this campground as it got the KOA Campground of the Year Award in November. Nice for our state. Where are you camping in Williamsburg?

Happy travels. (But working on the road?)
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
Old 12-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BODERRVING View Post
The strut on our outdoor kitchen completely pulled out. Crossroads (at the factory) replaced the entire door unit rather than attempting a repair because they said the screws had missed the reinforcement in the door. It works great now. BTW, if the strut pulls out and you are inside the trailer, it is a very scary noise.

Good luck and happy camping.
I'll bet it is quite a scary noise! We take the camper back to Roanoke tomorrow to drop it for it's warranty work. We had some very heavy rain today and I noticed some water pooled on the top of the dinette/recliner slide against the swipe seal. I will have that looked at too. I don't think it would be much of a problem most of the time, but the heavy rain mixed with the fact that I hooked the camper to the truck and it is now not parked level it was a noticeable problem...something to add to the growing list of things for the good folks at Camping World to take a look at!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

We also bought about 3 hours from our home, and found that even though a dealer close to home does not sell the Reserve by Crossroads he was an authorized dealer, called Crossroads and asked permission to have warrant work done there and called the dealership with the name and number of the contact at crossroads, no problem and only 15 minutes away. Makes warranty work much easier to take care of.
and sway bars.
kcandsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Great!

Had a great time at the Fredericksburg KOA and felt safe about leaving it there for a few days. The bath hose was immaculate! American heritage in Williamsburg is nice also. The KOA is closed and Anvil campground looked very nice and clean but was located between a rail road track and a highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BODERRVING View Post
Please let us know what you think about this campground as it got the KOA Campground of the Year Award in November. Nice for our state. Where are you camping in Williamsburg?

Happy travels. (But working on the road?)
Old 01-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
...located between a rail road track and a highway.
Wow, that would be terrible. That is why I do a Google Earth search on parks. It is amazing where they build some of them. Glad you like the KOA in Fredericksburg.

Home to Floyd now?
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
Old 01-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Leave Monday a.m. for home.

Tags
roof, schwinteck