Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2018, 05:42 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Sliding Windows

The sliding Windows are becoming increasingly difficult to open and close. I would like to remove them to clean and lubricate the channels with silicone. However, I cannot figure out how to remove them. Any suggestions??
2014 Ram Hemi Outdoorsman 3:92RE
2013 ST Reserve 30RE
p4lrjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:04 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Your probably going to have to remove the rubber gaskets around the windows and then their held in with screws. This removes the entire window. But I would check with someone else to see if they will come apart after that which I’m not sure of. Not sure I would do this just to clean. It’s a lot of work and if their not leaking I wouldn’t remove them.But if you do, then I would recommend to replace with new gaskets because the old gaskets become stiff and very hard to replace. I’ve replaced gaskets on two units. It’s not easy but can be done. I found even with then new gaskets it was easier to soak them in warm soapy water before putting the gaskets in. I purchased new gaskets through HEHR Windows and spoke to Ed (*1 (800) 637-8938‬).

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:06 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I've carefully sprayed some lube in the channels with the windows in place. I used a rag and straight screwdriver to clean them as well as possible first.

John & Cindy
Central Pennsylvania

2015 CrossRoads Z-1 208FL
JEH412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEH412 View Post
I've carefully sprayed some lube in the channels with the windows in place. I used a rag and straight screwdriver to clean them as well as possible first.
Agree! Clean up as best you can & use a silicone spray lube or Pledge furniture polish, dirt doesn't stick to either of these.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:28 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

No Silicone!

I would never use silicone on rubber or vinyl areas. Silicone reacts with rubber, and hardens it. It dries out vinyl.
I would either use a product specified for the purpose, or dry lubricant. I use dry lube in my daily job to lube sliding areas where wet lubes would clog because of the dirty environment.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
Site Team

Never heard of silicone ruining rubber weatherstripping. Been using it for the past 50 years and have never experienced any deterioration.

From Motor Week online:
Quote:
Something else that most people, well, they just completely ignore, the rubber weather stripping around the doors and the hatch and so on. They have to all be lubricated using silicone spray. Now the neatest way to do this is just simply to spray it on to a rag and then wipe the weather stripping with the rag. That keeps it neat and doesn’t get it all over the paint and everything.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:32 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Not sure on your model, but our Reserve the air compressor and blow gun sure didn't hurt the efficiency of my sliding windows. Something that I added to my TO-DO LIST for every 2'nd year. Blowing out the tracks made quite a difference. I would be very leery of adding anything to the track that could possibly or even remotely promote dust adhesion. Aside from compressed air my only other choice would be thoroughly washing with water