Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:00 PM   #41
Full Time Camper

jlongsta is your TV a gaser or diesel?
Faribault MN
Old 02-27-2015, 11:43 PM   #42
New Camper

Our TV is a 2012 Ford F250 with 6.2L gas. Looking to upgrade TT to Crossroads Longhorn edition 31Sb or 33Bh. Im a little worried about jumping to the 33Bh it's dry weight is around 8300lbs.... 31Sb is 7600lbs. Don't tow a lot in the mountians maybe every 2 years but don't want to struggle when I do. Had F150 with 5.4L towing 5500Lbs from Cheyene Wy. to Rocksprings Wy. and only must 45mph with a head wind you talk about a long drive.....
Old 02-28-2015, 08:39 AM   #43
Full Time Camper

Strike this- inside your drivers door will be a tire loading sticker that states "occupants and cargo not to exceed x lbs". Take that number and subtract the weight of your family, pets, and gear that will be in the truck when towing. This is your available payload. (More accurate would be to weigh the vehicle and subtract from gvwr and gcwr but this will help with poor man's calculations). What is this new payload number? Your loaded tongue weight should be less than this number.

Dry weights of trailers don't really tell you much as they don't typically include the weight of propane, batteries or dealer add-ons. I typically tell people to calculate using tt gvwr but if it has a very large cargo capacity that may not be realistic either. Do you know the approximate weight of how stuff you have in your tt? On average people tend to add 1000-1500 lbs to a tt. Ideal tongue weight would be 13-15% of your loaded trailer weight. I'm going through all of this because not all 3/4 tons or even f250s are rated the same. Some have a fairly large payload whereas others like my old f250 have a small payload (my diesel only had 1500 lbs of payload). A gasser will have a higher payload than a diesel but the gasser will work harder going up the hills than the diesel. In all likelihood you will probably be fine with these numbers but don't expect a gasser to still be at highway speed at the top of a long steep upgrade.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
Old 02-28-2015, 02:49 PM   #44
Family Vacation Member

LeBo our F250 is gasoline.

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
Old 02-28-2015, 03:03 PM   #45
Full Time Camper

Jill or Mark. Are you referring to the engine braking you get when in the tow haul mode or something else. Going thru my owners manual now.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 02-28-2015, 04:08 PM   #46
Family Vacation Member

Range Select and Manual Shift Functions

If a Super Duty driver wants custom control over the 6R140, they can switch from full automatic or tow/haul modes into Progressive Range Select or Manual modes. Range Select is activated via a toggle on the shift lever that allows the customer to reduce the range of available gears while in Drive. When the customer “taps” down into Range Select mode, the display shows the available gears and highlights the current gear state. This feature allows the driver to limit use of upper gears when heavily loaded or while towing on grades. It’s especially helpful in terrain that includes constant hills when towing.

In manual mode, the driver can select the exact gear they desire, as long as they don’t go over redline. The display will show the selected gear, and the control system will lock the torque converter and hold that gear for a full manual transmission feel. Manual mode is Ford’s way of making up for the loss of a standard ZF six-speed manual transmission, which goes away for 2011.

2013 F250
Old 03-01-2015, 07:09 AM   #47
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
Jill or Mark. Are you referring to the engine braking you get when in the tow haul mode or something else. Going thru my owners manual now.
I have a button on the column shifter for haul mode. I also have a thumb switch to shift up or down manually. Great is bad weather.

I also didnt mention I have a factory trailer sway control setting. It sense the trailer hopping around and adjusts power and braking.

I've never had to use. I have a ProPride hitch so never had it kick in.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
Old 03-01-2015, 07:16 AM   #48
Family Vacation Member

We have the sway control on our truck too. We also have a great weight distribution/sway control hitch. So far all seems to work well towing in a variety of conditions including Kansas wind which is blowing most of the time!

2013 F250
Old 03-01-2015, 07:35 AM   #49
Full Time Camper

I can speak for the built in factory sway control. It activated on me twice. Once going over a bridge when I got hit with a heavy crosswind and the second time when a sever thunderstorm blew in. Before I could even get nervous the truck automatically applied trailer breaks and displayed a warning "trailer sway, slow down" I can tell you it slowed the whole truck down and the trailer popped right back in line. Excellent system! I should mention this was with my F150 hauling the ST28BH a 32 ft trailer. My 350 also has this feature, just hasn't activated yet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
Old 03-01-2015, 11:09 AM   #50
Full Time Camper

Sadly, the OP hasn't posted here in two weeks. Would like to know what she decided. This is a classic story, about how people want to hear their SUV will pull that trailer. The Armada does have impressive towing capacity for its size, but this would be stretching it. (And that is assuming a Nissan-installed WDH) I agree with all the posters, that the truth should be told; if she doesn't hear it here, who will tell her? I hope she is OK. I know, I was one of those "my little truck can handle it" guys, and I got away with it. White knuckles, downhills, 60mph max, etc. I've since got a bigger truck. But looking back, I was foolhardy!
Dalzell SC
Old 03-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #51
Site Team

By the amount of response from the OP it looks like this thread has served it's purpose for her.
I think it's time to put it to rest.
Closed Thread