Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Sunset trail 29ss reserve or not?

Our 2015 29ss came without the reserve decal on the front and has had a lot of fit and finish issues, damaged trim, panels not fitting, windows wont open etc.
Our dealer has dealt with some of it under warranty but some is just too small to bother with but annoying just the same. Dealer ordered a decal for us but wont install it. I am wondering if it is a "second" that the dealer picked up from Crossroads and sold to us and thats why they wont put the reserve decal on. Has anyone else had this issue or heard of such a thing? Is there such a thing as an ST29SS that is not a reserve? Crossroads website doesn't show one but it makes me wonder.
Baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:42 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I have a 2013 ST29SS Reserve. Back when I was looking to buy one there were ST29SS that were not Reserves. The Reserves had the front molded cap while the Non-Reserve just had a flat fiberglass nose.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Reserve sticker or not, you there are easily identifiable differences between the reserves and the non-reserves. That's what really matters.

1) Do you have solid counter tops?
2) Do you have Power Stab Jacks?
3) Do you have an electric fireplace?

If yes, yes, and yes..you have a Reserve.

Yes, stab jacks were an option for non-reserve models, but the other features are not in any way upgradeable from the factory.

The notion that it is a somehow an reject or seconds from the factory is a stretch. These units roll off assembly line with issues. Its a cold hard fact of RV ownership unfortunately. If you want fit and finish, I think you are going to be hard pressed to find an ultralite travel trailer that is that well crafted. These trailers are mass assembled and remember, they take a beating going down the road. My shower on my new 2016 was water tight. 1000 miles later, I have a leaking door.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_34 Aug. 31 13.09.jpg (304.9 KB, 9 views)

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:19 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
Reserve sticker or not, you there are easily identifiable differences between the reserves and the non-reserves. That's what really matters.

1) Do you have solid counter tops?
2) Do you have Power Stab Jacks?
3) Do you have an electric fireplace?

If yes, yes, and yes..you have a Reserve.

Yes, stab jacks were an option for non-reserve models, but the other features are not in any way upgradeable from the factory.

The notion that it is a somehow an reject or seconds from the factory is a stretch. These units roll off assembly line with issues. Its a cold hard fact of RV ownership unfortunately. If you want fit and finish, I think you are going to be hard pressed to find an ultralite travel trailer that is that well crafted. These trailers are mass assembled and remember, they take a beating going down the road. My shower on my new 2016 was water tight. 1000 miles later, I have a leaking door.

I have the countertops etc, and believe as you say that it is a reserve as I believe all 29ss were reserves in 2015. Just really disappointed that the fit and finish is so poor as we traded a KZ sportsmen 5er which had no issues other than it was too small when we had another family with us!
Baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:29 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
I have the countertops etc, and believe as you say that it is a reserve as I believe all 29ss were reserves in 2015. Just really disappointed that the fit and finish is so poor as we traded a KZ sportsmen 5er which had no issues other than it was too small when we had another family with us!
The difference is you had a 5er and probably not a lite ultralight design model. I'm sure others can jump in on this, but I've found that 5ers have higher grade components and build structure since they're not pushing the envelope for weight in their design and construction. With the exception of the few lite 5ers made (Crossroads makes a few) Comparing build quality on a 5er to an lite or ultralite travel trailer is an Apples vs. Oranges discussion. Manufacturers will "downgrade" components for the sake of weight and that in turn affects fit and finish. Just my experience and opinion. Many of us look past the issue since we can pull a lot of trailer without moving to a 3/4 or 1 ton TV.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote