Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
New Camper

Sunset trail issues

We have a 2014 sunset trail 300bh. This trailer has been a nightmare. After a few months of having trailer it went back to dealer because of noise in the floor when you stepped in certain spots. turned out some of the welds on the crossmembers broke. we got trailer back in the spring just to find the roof leaked. the caulking on roof seam split open and water ran in behind front panel. sealed up crack so we could use it for the season. at the end of the summer the main slide stripped the gears on one side. had new slide mechanism replaced. thank god for extended warranty. the dealer replaced the complete frontend of our trailer inside and out under warranty. this has been a big disappointment. trailer is just over a year old. When I picked up trailer last week dealer told me they don't carry these trailers anymore because of all the major issues they have had. hope this helps anyone looking at buying one of these pieces of crap.
killaby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
Site Team

I'm sorry to hear of your problems with your rig.
If you ever find one that doesn't need or require maintenance, please let us know. I think we all would buy one.
Best of wishes to you.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Sorry to hear about your troubles...I just took delivery yesterday and after PDI, only had one item to take care of (pinched wire from the electric tongue jack). Brought her home, set up and looked at everything again. I am nervous about something going wrong or not working, but have full expectations that preventive maintenance will be the key of future happiness.

I hope you find something else!
Old 04-22-2015, 04:09 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Frosty 42, you said it.......................preventative maintenance is the key!! Inspect, then inspect again at regular intervals.
Igmire01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:52 AM   #5
New Camper

I would agree about maintenance. The only thing is these problems started when the trailer was less than one year old. never read anywhere in the manual about replacing the caulking on roof as soon as you pick up trailer from dealership. i am a mechanic by trade and know about preventative maintenance and also know about poor quality. my friend has a rv repair business and when i asked him about what trailer to buy he said they are all junk, it just depends on how big a piece of junk.
killaby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:06 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to Thieryy
Hello killaby1,

We have a SF270bh since 2012 and never had any problem with. Each year I check all the joins and verify everything before the fisrt use.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I fail to see the logic in saying the lack of preventative maintenance would cause cracked welds in the framing, or stripped slide mechanism.
Maybe a little compassion for the op would be in order before posting. He has spent a lot of money for a product thay obviously has some issues beyond his control.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

It seems like hit or miss here. My current ST has had minor problems and now it's up to me to keep it the best I can. I have a schedule planned for maintenance and most likely I will trade it in for a new one before it gets too old. I have yet to meet someone with a worry free RV. But I will say Killaby1 had some bad luck with that trailer. Can't blame you for being mad.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
Site Team

Kilaby1. Were the issues fixed under the original warranty?? or did you have to use the extended warranty? Did you have any out of pocket expenses? Seems to me, it should not have cost you a penny.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:46 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

You have experienced only a part of what we have with a product from Redwood/Crossroads/Thor....

Ours is going back to them for good... it took almost two years, a traded-in rv, payments, time, attorney fees.... and even after the fighting lost about $30k....

As long as they can sell whatever they build and make a profit... there is no incentive to make them right...
Old 04-23-2015, 07:27 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

killaby1,

I hear your pains. We have a 2013 300BH and similar issues with the front cap that were fixed under warranty (water came in around the market lights).

Here's my 2 cents,

First, the weld issue is completely unacceptable and you should be upset.

Second, keeping the roof water-tight is on the owner as soon as you get it off the lot, so I'm not going to beat up Crossroads on that. Yes, the design on that cap is ..well..not the best. You need to get up there every few months and hit it with lap sealant and life will be good.

Thirdly, I truly believe dealers have been at odds with Crossroads because of the direct servicing for parts and warranty work. It's taking $ out of their pockets and that is probably why CR is doing any direct to customer warranty servicing anymore.There are lower quality brands out there the dealers are happy to carry and do the warranty work to keep their coffers full.

You can get rid of the trailer but you are not going to find a double bunkhouse with two slides under #6500 with all the stuff they pack in the ST. Not sure if anyone else has hit the market in the past 6 months since I last checked, but the 300BH is the lightest trailer of its layout out there.

Not to cast shadows on other manufacturers, but walk through other ultralites like a KZ Sportsman or Amerilight Gulstream ultralite. Crossroads has a better product IMHO.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #12
New Camper

Don't buy one

We purchased our first RV, a 2015 Sunset Trail 5th wheel in November 2014. From the day it arrived at the dealer we have found one thing after another. When we stopped at the dealer to have the hitch installed, it was the same day the unit arrived from the manufacturer. The first thing I noticed was the outdoor fold down table, part of the outdoor kitchen was not there. When I asked our salesman about it, he said the unit didn't come with one. When we walked over to the 2014 model on the lot, I showed him where it should of been. Once back to the office he started asking others in the office about what other changes may have been made. He said the manufacturer sometimes makes changes to the unit's without notifying the dealers. This is completely insane considering we had only put the order in 4 weeks prior and were told of what changes to expect, this was not one of them. So once we picked it up the troubles began.

In the five months of owning it we have two of three slides leak, four LED lights that are completely out or blinking, rusted front landing gear (delivered that way), the bedroom heat ducting ripped in half by a group of wires, sending all the heat straight into the storage area, the kitchen island panel pops out even after being re-stapled by the dealer, condensation in cold weather in our closet, the floor squeaks in the bathroom, which could be a weld issue. The living room slide floor is warped and the dining chairs slope about a quarter inch. Not to mention the floor is separating from the slide on the back allowing rain water to saturate the wood and soak the carpet. There are also several pieces of trim separating from the walls and two of the three tank sensors are incorrect.

We live in it full time and have not had a chance to address the issues with a service center yet. When I contacted Crossroads directly about the poor quality and photos of each issue, they responded with a "what do you want us to do" and "take it to a certified Crossroads service center". This clearly is not a preventative maintenance issue, this is a quality control issue which Crossroads was not interested in hearing.
pfogleboch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

I agree with you johnboytoo, as long as push the units out the door they are happy. No quality control.. After all the different troubles with ours and back to crossroads. I consulted a lawyer He told me as long as they are trying to fix the unit,there is not much you can do. The first year i had mine, Dealer and crossroads had it more than i did. I asked for compensation from crossroads . They only replaced my mattresses. While it was out there all fall and part of winter the battery froze and they would not put me in another . Lawyer stated it would cost me more than what i would get out of it. I am just hoping it is corrected now. I will keep up on maitenance and go from there. Good luck to you
wayne bair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:37 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

mine was a 2014! in oct. took in for heater work after that was fixed we measured it for a cover they noticed a crack on outside. we got to looking and found 11 more . contacted crossroads (mod edit) said it was out of warranty. The cracks have gotten way worse even though i have had it covered . I traded it in and have lost a lot of money(mod edit) . thats my 2 cents
Old 02-12-2016, 08:40 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Well I'm hoping I wont be in any trouble with our 2014 300BH, had no issues last summer been sitting since Sept. I'll be looking it over very carefully in may.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:42 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

I've had my 250RB for almost 5 months now I guess. Lived in it for 2 months at a job and then pulled it 1000 miles to Florida for 2 weeks and then back. Just got back Wednesday.

The only problem I've had so far is a few of the led awning lights have went out and the spare tire cover acts like it wants to fly off when I'm going down the highway.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:26 AM   #17
Site Team

Like every other manufacturer, there are going to be lemons. I had one that was made by Monoco, which I thought was a top of the line manufacturer.
Show me a manufacturer that doesn't make a lemon now and then. You think the camper is greener on the other side of the fence?? Check out the other manufacturer forums or actually walk through a campground and look.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 02-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
I've had my 250RB for almost 5 months now I guess. Lived in it for 2 months at a job and then pulled it 1000 miles to Florida for 2 weeks and then back. Just got back Wednesday.

The only problem I've had so far is a few of the led awning lights have went out and the spare tire cover acts like it wants to fly off when I'm going down the highway.
We just bought a 2016 250RB and hoping ours is trouble free. I'm a little concerned about the LED lights at the end of the awning like most are near the camper. I'm curious if you have noticed any other small issues. Keep us posted.
kgie1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:20 PM   #19
Site Team

I'm on my 3rd set of LED awning lights. All covered by my warranty. IF they go again, I will buy my own and place them on the side of the RV under the awning. That way, they could be on even when the awning is closed.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #20
Site Team

A few years ago, before Virginia had a lemon law for automobiles, there was a Volvo that I would occasionally see driving around Richmond with A big lemon painted on the front doors on both sides. You find them in anything made by humans. I can't tell you how many times we have had to send servers back to Dell because they arrived D.O.A.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote