Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
New Camper

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the wonderful world of travel trailering and I am very close to making my first purchase. I am looking at a 2012 Sunset Trail Reserve 26BH and was wondering everyone's opinion. Thanks so much in advance for your feedback.

Best,

John
Glockfanjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I can't speak to the Reserve Package. We have a ST24BH this is our 3rd TT. Starting our third season with it with no problems. I few minor issues here and there but nothing big. All TT will have some issues after all being pulled down the the highway at 60mph.

Our Sunset Trail has served us well. We camp mostly in the National Forests of NM and CO. It has a high ground clearance, good size tanks, heated underbelly which allows us to camp in the fall and early spring. We spend 2 weeks in Yellowstone this fall got down to 20f.Very comfortable.Easy to tow(we tow with a 06 F150).

Look around and pick the best floorplan to meet your needs. I don't think you can go wrong If you land on a Sunset Trail.

Welcome to Crossroads forum.

2010 ST24BH
ritterjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:14 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Really enjoy our 30BH. Will embark on our fifth season with it in a month or two. Have several 5,000 mile trips of two months duration under our belt. Never get tired of the trailer or see a need/desire to change to any other rig. That might change after we see so many 5ers at the Texas Rally? . Only problems we've had were in the first six months. Microwave started having a mind of it's own and wouldn't shut off. Bathroom sink faucet leaked. NOT Crossroads fault. Dealer replaced under warranty and everything fine since.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

We bought our 2012 26BH Reserve at last years RV show, and used it extensively last summer (to the tune of 8,000kms). Had a great time with it. We love the layout, finishes, and the overall quality of the unit.

That being said, we had 2 (major-ish) problems with the unit. About halfway through the summer last year, the tongue jack siezed. I managed to get the trailer hooked up using the stab jacks and a hydraulic jack, and did eventually convince the tongue jack to retract. It was replaced under warranty, but it took a couple weeks to get the part in.

While it was in for that, I mentioned to the service tech that I had been noticing a large amount of wheel flex during maneuvering with the trailer. They took measurements and determined that the axles, rims, and tires all needed to be replaced. Again, this was done under warranty, but it took several (5-6) weeks to get the new axles and rims in from Lippert. I was unimpressed, but at the end of the day I now have 2 5200lb axles under the unit, vs. the 2 3700lb axles I had before. I'm not using this as an excuse to load the trailer up (the unit was not re-stickered with a new GVWR), but having "heavier duty" axles certainly doesn't make me upset. Overall my dealer handled the situation well, and was very professional about the service.

Overall impressions are that we love this trailer, and would not hesitate buying another ST or CR product. We did go to the RV show again this year, and found nothing that we like as much (in terms of floorplan and interior finish/quality) in the price range that the ST26BH w/ Reserve Pkg offered. So far, a satisfied CrossRoads and ST owner here.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to wincrasher

I'm picking up my new 25RB this weekend. I was impressed with the apparent quality and the nice finishes in this unit compared to other brands (for the money). My dealer is solid, I've bought from him before, so I have no worries about warranty. 2 year warranty is fantastic.Edited by: wincrasher
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
New Camper

Update!!! After reading many forum posts and doing my own comparisons I decide not o purchase the Sunset Trail. After everything I ended up purchasing my other choice of TT and went with a Rockwood 2702ss loaded. I wanted to thank all those who responded.

Thanks
John
Glockfanjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
New Camper

I've been looking at the new 2012 ST30RK as a new floorplan with the rear kitchen, does anyone have any experience with this floorplan or one like it? I'm concerned that the rear kitchen might cause it to be rearend heavy and cause a sway. Dose the "secure stance" axle width help with this? Also this "secure stance" looks like it could be difficult on the tires when parking it? Opinions needed, thanks
Owen4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to wincrasher
I looked at one of those, but have no experience towing it.

I would suspect that you are right. Also consider that alot of your "stuff" is going in those cabinets potentially making a bad situation worse. Perhaps some of that is mitigated by placement of the waste and water tanks, but may not help as most folks don't travel with those loaded.

You generally get a big kitchen on those kind of floorplans though, so I can see the appeal.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I bought my ST30RK in November and we love. And as for the rear kitchen and sway, no problem. Already have made a trip to North Carolina a couple trips into Georgia and a couple of trips in our state ( fl ). As for parking,well it's long. Put a long bed 4 door f250 on the front of it like i have and you will have, well let's just say it can be challenging. But again we love it.

Edited by: Big smokey
Big smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:05 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen4it
I've been looking at the new 2012 ST30RK as a new floorplan with the rear kitchen, does anyone have any experience with this floorplan or one like it? I'm concerned that the rear kitchen might cause it to be rearend heavy and cause a sway. Dose the "secure stance" axle width help with this? Also this "secure stance" looks like it could be difficult on the tires when parking it? Opinions needed, thanks

Regarding the "Secure Stance"...IMO they really do help eliminate sway and track quite well. As for the added stress during tight turns, the way I look at it, 99% of my towing is normal highway driving and only 1% is tight manouvering during parking (and gas stops). Besides, triple axle toy haulers have been stressing the fore and aft axles for quite a while now and they are further apart than ours.

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:39 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

We bought a Sunset Trail 26BH Reserve Pkg, excellent trailer, really satisfied with it...to bad you chose the Rockwood...you will be missing out on an excellent trailer!

2011 F-150 4x4 ECOBOOST SuperCrew 3.5L V63.73

Rockland,Ontario

https://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/...1;ny/test2.jpg

Yanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

I just purchased a 2013 sunset Trail reserve 25RB. should have in in a few weeks . Was originally looking at a 2013 Jayco whitehawk 26dsrb...they have roughly the same layout. but upon seeing a sunset Trail , I changed my mind....hope it was a good move as I have heard alot about the slide mechanism and jacks messing up.

My new one comes with a Carefree awning instaed of the a&e/Dometic ...have to get used to the scissor type ..

harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Had a Flagstaff, nice unit (same as Rockwood, different colors). No where nearthe quality of our Sunset Trail. However, I believe it is better to buy based on the dealer and trailer than the trailer alone. If your dealer is not set up to handle your problems ..and you WILL have them.. you will never be happy.
Kelleysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley
I just purchased a 2013 sunset Trail reserve 25RB. should have in in a few weeks . Was originally looking at a 2013 Jayco whitehawk 26dsrb...they have roughly the same layout. but upon seeing a sunset Trail , I changed my mind....hope it was a good move as I have heard alot about the slide mechanism and jacks messing up.
My new one comes with a Carefree awning instaed of the a&e/Dometic ...have to get used to the scissor type ..
I looked at the same Jayco. Also looked at the Keystone Passport. Bought the 25RB once I seen it. So far I love it.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
New Camper

I have a 2014 32RL my dealer showed me how to resync the motor on the slides. They said after the slide is all the way out or in hold the switch for an additional 5-10 seconds then double click the switch twice.

I have had the kitchen slide not want to move the front end when it has set open for a while or when that side of the trailer is low. I go in and out a couple of times sync in the out position and it will come in. Once I had to have the wife run the switch and I had to lean on the end to get it to move. That was the time it was way out of level and probably shouldn't have opened it in the first place.

raym is offline   Reply With Quote