Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I bought my 2013 Sunset Trails Reserve 30RE at the beginning of June of 2012. I've had it just over a year now and so far I'm happy with it but I have had a few issues that I thought I'd share and it anyone has any advice please chime it:

Kitchen drawers fly open during travel causing drawer slides to come apart. Replaced 2 so far under warranty but it took so long to get an appointment with a local dealer that I may just replace two more that have come apart since.

Water pump quit working; Camping World replaced under warranty.

Awing gutter leak (right on top of the outside 110 outlet); Took it to a local dealer to have it fixed but all they did was smear some caulking on the gutter joint where the leak occurs and it leaked more than ever during out last trip.

Black tank drain valve leaking; Every time I remove the cover from the sanitary drain pipe about a quart of liquid spills out on the ground. Took it to the same local deal mentioned above and of course after it sat on their lot for a couple of weeks with water in the tank they never saw the leak I described. It occurred again during my most recent trip though so it's back to the dealer again.

Exterior Shower leak; Haven't had this in for service yet as I just found it when I turned the shower on for the first time. After investigating I found what looks to be a knife cut (not a crack) in the plastic pipe between the hot and cold water outlet that then runs to the shower head. I could very easily fix this myself if I had the part but I'll most likely have it fixed under warranty when I take it in to get all of the other stuff fixed.

Top of front fiberglass cap is beginning to oxidize and turn white;Looks like the factory didn't get enough gel-coat at the very top of the front fiberglass cap because it began fading out after only a year. Not sure if this is going to be covered by the factory warranty but I purchased aPlatinum Protection Warranty from Camping World when I bought myTrailer andhopefully it will be covered. If not I guess I'll invest in a buffer and apply one of the many products designed to remove fiberglass oxidation and apply a protective gel coat. Has anyone else experienced oxidation of their front fiberglass cap?

All in all these aren'thuge issues that I'm sure can be resolved but since I bought myTrailer in at aCamping World several states away I have toget warranty service froma local dealer and they don't seem to get in much of a hurry to get me in or to get mytrailer back to me. I think I waited a couple of monthsto get in last time and then theykeptmy trailer for another 3 weeks. I don't think I'll ever buy another camper from anyone except a local dealer and it won't be this one either.

So how do these issues compare to what everyone else has experienced with their Sunset Trails Trailers?

https://i819.photobucket.com/albums/z...ailsCamper.jpghttps://ptarthur.com/Sunsettrailscamper.jpg
ptarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Hello Paul,I purchased a 2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 33 BD back in May. It has been sitting at the dealer for the last week and a half waiting foe approval from Crossraoads to fix the front cap for oxidation. The unit is not even a year old and the front cap is showing signs of fading. I really don't know why it is taking so long for Crossroads to approve the repairs. I have a great dealer, bought 3 campers from them the last 12 years and never had a problem from the last 3 manufactures ears to repair any warranty work. Why it is taking so long for Crossroads so long to approve repairs on a 2014 RV is beyond me.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Let me mention when I dropped it off there were 2 other Sunset Trails sitting there with oxidation on the front caps. They looked terrible.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

My water pump started leaking also after 3 weeks . replaced it under warranty with a Shur flo instead of the off brand they used. Had to do it myself as we were in the middle of a trip .

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

cap

well I was wondering about the front cap on my 2014 33BD when I bought (July 2013). we are fortunate to have a shop large enough to keep it inside except when we are camping. we normally use it 2-3 times a month from April to Oct. 2,3,and 4 day weekends with an occasional couple weeks thrown in there. I guess I will just have to keep a good coat of wax on it and hope for the best. i will say this for our family this rig is the ONE and it does turn a lot of heads. thanks to CR for a great color scheme
ajakarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

We are about to buy the same unit and I see that you pull with a 2011 ecoboost. We have a 2013 F150 Eco with MaxTow and wondered how your truck does pulling this trailer?

Regards
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptarthur View Post
I bought my 2013 Sunset Trails Reserve 30RE at the beginning of June of 2012. I've had it just over a year now and so far I'm happy with it but I have had a few issues that I thought I'd share and it anyone has any advice please chime it:

Kitchen drawers fly open during travel causing drawer slides to come apart. Replaced 2 so far under warranty but it took so long to get an appointment with a local dealer that I may just replace two more that have come apart since.

Water pump quit working; Camping World replaced under warranty.

Awing gutter leak (right on top of the outside 110 outlet); Took it to a local dealer to have it fixed but all they did was smear some caulking on the gutter joint where the leak occurs and it leaked more than ever during out last trip.

Black tank drain valve leaking; Every time I remove the cover from the sanitary drain pipe about a quart of liquid spills out on the ground. Took it to the same local deal mentioned above and of course after it sat on their lot for a couple of weeks with water in the tank they never saw the leak I described. It occurred again during my most recent trip though so it's back to the dealer again.

Exterior Shower leak; Haven't had this in for service yet as I just found it when I turned the shower on for the first time. After investigating I found what looks to be a knife cut (not a crack) in the plastic pipe between the hot and cold water outlet that then runs to the shower head. I could very easily fix this myself if I had the part but I'll most likely have it fixed under warranty when I take it in to get all of the other stuff fixed.

Top of front fiberglass cap is beginning to oxidize and turn white;Looks like the factory didn't get enough gel-coat at the very top of the front fiberglass cap because it began fading out after only a year. Not sure if this is going to be covered by the factory warranty but I purchased aPlatinum Protection Warranty from Camping World when I bought myTrailer andhopefully it will be covered. If not I guess I'll invest in a buffer and apply one of the many products designed to remove fiberglass oxidation and apply a protective gel coat. Has anyone else experienced oxidation of their front fiberglass cap?

All in all these aren'thuge issues that I'm sure can be resolved but since I bought myTrailer in at aCamping World several states away I have toget warranty service froma local dealer and they don't seem to get in much of a hurry to get me in or to get mytrailer back to me. I think I waited a couple of monthsto get in last time and then theykeptmy trailer for another 3 weeks. I don't think I'll ever buy another camper from anyone except a local dealer and it won't be this one either.

So how do these issues compare to what everyone else has experienced with their Sunset Trails Trailers?
Firestone Work-Rite
Kipor IG2000p
crowsnestflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #7
New Camper

I have the Sunset Trail Reserve Trailer with bunkhouse, 2012. After the first year, I too had issues with the fading on the front cap. I went to a very recognizable fiberglass collision repair dealer. He told me he had already repaired about 15 caps and had spoke to the factory as to why the gel coat was fading. He insists it is how the cap is manufactured...not enough or total lack of UV protector in the resin in the process. He asked if my cap was leaking or not, which did not. So he recommended that we sand down the cap and replace the gel coat with a high quality auto paint to match. I went back to dealer and plead my case. They did not negate his opinion. My cap was soon afterwards repainted and repaired at no cost to me.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Can't disagree with the Irish...We don't have a Sunset, but if your cap doesn't leak, I would pursue the paint option. Anything to prevent opening up these units and the potential problems associated with it is a good solution.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
New Camper

Send a message via AIM to BnBCampin
I just got my 32FR back from a dealership near my house where they repainted the cap just inside my 2 year warranty. The dealer I purchased it from about 2 years ago kept telling me that I needed to buff it out and keep it waxed. I worked myself to death and lost the battle big time. We were wandering the Tampa RV show and my wife happened to mention the issue to a Crossroads rep at the event and he said that should be warranty work. We took it to our local Crossroads dealer and like magic, it was repainted at no cost to me! Ours lives at the end of our driveway with the cap facing South so we had to stare at it everytime we drove down our driveway. Now, it looks brand new again with automotive paint and clear coat! Thanks Lazydays!
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ 6.4 Hemi
BnBCampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Good news!!
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #11
New Camper

I have the exact same problem with my 2013 32FR. Front cap looks horrible after 1 year of ownership. I've never had it in for service. I just emailed the salesman at Camping World who sold it to us, so he can discuss with service dept. Hopefully they take care of it under warranty.
BigDogKona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

An update; After taking my Sunset Trail to a local RV dealer and making arrangements with Crossroads to authorize them to do the warranty work, I ended up with an entire new front cap. The dealer service department had originally made plans to just repaint the front cap but they told me that Crossroads insisted on replacement (which was more expensive by the way). So thanks Crossroads, I now have a shiny new front cap, sure hope it stays that way. The dealer did also repair the awning rail leak but for some unexplained reason they did not fix the other items I requested be repaired such as the broken drawer slides in the kitchen. I was told by the service department that Crossroads declined to authorize the additional repairs but when I sent an email to Crossroads myself they indicated that the dealer never requested authorization for the other repairs. I decided not to go back to that same dealer again because they kept my camper for four months last time and I have plans for using it this summer. The problem now is that my warranty runs out in a couple of weeks so I think I'll just try and tackle the drawer slides myself but I'm not sure about how to get the right parts. Does anyone know if individuals can order parts from Crossroads?

https://i819.photobucket.com/albums/z...ailsCamper.jpghttps://ptarthur.com/Sunsettrailscamper.jpg
Old 05-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Hit up cross roads for the parts yourself - maybe they will just ship them to you directly.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Glad things worked out for you.

We purchased a 2010 Sunset Trail Ultralite ST27FB with a 7-yr extended warranty. We're having delamination issues that resulted in leakage and water damage to the floor in the front bedroom and front entrance. The warranty company went bankrupt. Now we have NO COVERAGE!

Luck of the draw, I guess.

But I am happy for you.

Happy Trails to You.
iuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuki;79622[SIZE=2
]Glad things worked out for you.

We purchased a 2010 Sunset Trail Ultralite ST27FB with a 7-yr extended warranty. We're having delamination issues that resulted in leakage and water damage to the floor in the front bedroom and front entrance. The warranty company went bankrupt. Now we have NO COVERAGE!

Luck of the draw, I guess.

But I am happy for you.

Happy Trails to You.
[/SIZE]
I know what you are going through. Had the same problem with a Monoco McKenzie Starwood. Monoco went belly up a year after I purchased the rv.
Of course the extended 5 year warranty was now useless.

Without going into detail we named the 5 wheel the "Big ole Rolling Turd II.

Problems, problems, and more problems.

Fix ALL the problems myself. Then went to an RV in Hershey, PA and traded it in. I did get a good trade in allowance for it. With all the repairs I did it was almost like new, except for a small delam section in front side.

So, If you can fix it your self, you can re earn the lost value when you trade it in.

BTW it took me all summer to redo the RV.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
[/SIZE]
I know what you are going through. Had the same problem with a Monoco McKenzie Starwood. Monoco went belly up a year after I purchased the rv.
Of course the extended 5 year warranty was now useless.

Without going into detail we named the 5 wheel the "Big ole Rolling Turd II.

Problems, problems, and more problems.

Fix ALL the problems myself. Then went to an RV in Hershey, PA and traded it in. I did get a good trade in allowance for it. With all the repairs I did it was almost like new, except for a small delam section in front side.

So, If you can fix it your self, you can re earn the lost value when you trade it in.

BTW it took me all summer to redo the RV.
Glad it worked out for you. After fixing our Sunset Trail, I know we won't be able to get enough to cover what we owe on it. Then, we're done RVing. Can't afford to take any more chances with RV issues and getting underwater every time we trade it in.

Happy that everything went well for you.

Enjoy your travels.
iuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuki View Post
Glad it worked out for you. After fixing our Sunset Trail, I know we won't be able to get enough to cover what we owe on it. Then, we're done RVing. Can't afford to take any more chances with RV issues and getting underwater every time we trade it in.

Happy that everything went well for you.

Enjoy your travels.
If you get it all fixed up you may as well use it and enjoy it.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Here's an update on mine;

What's wrong with this picture:
[IMG]http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/z...r/frontcap.jpg[IMG]

I can't believe I didn't notice this when I picked up my camper after the front cap was replaced under warranty but apparently whoever applied the decal really messed it up bad. Not only is the "V" missing from Reserve and no space between By Crossroads, the entire decal is crooked. The top right running light lens was also missing but I've already replaced that myself. I'm really disappointed in this dealer's service department and told them so over the phone. They told me to send them a picture and they would get back to me. This is particularly frustrating since they kept my camper for over three months to get this work done.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptarthur View Post
Here's an update on mine;

What's wrong with this picture:
[IMG]http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/z...r/frontcap.jpg[IMG]

IMHO what is wrong is they put any of that logo back!

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond
2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
MEHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEHoffman View Post
IMHO what is wrong is they put any of that logo back!
Don't know why they don't have that in color? As far as the application, they left a space for the V, which tells me they knew it was missing. I would have thought that the decal would have been a continuous sheet. Either way, there is no excuse for that.

Mine is supposed to go in this fall to have cap repainted. Not sure if I want it put back on or not. Also not sure if I want it repainted in the Chocolate either.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote