Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2016, 07:06 AM   #1
New Camper

SUPER NERVOUS! 2016 ST 270bh

Hello everyone! I just joined this site because I am doing everything I can to learn as much as I can before we go and pick up our camper. We are picking up a 2016 Sunset Trail 270bh.

It does not help that I just read 100's of horror stories about Sunset Trails! I know to take them with a grain of salt, but I am still nervous that everything is going to fall apart.

It's February and how can we make sure everything is working before we take it home? I mean, clearly they wont be able to tell if the AC is actually blowing cold air, because it's already cold..... or the fridge working correctly.....and certainly they must not fill the grey and black tanks with water to show how to empty them and use the flush.. and see that it's working? Hot water heater... etc. The list goes on!!

I'm just hoping we made the right choice and everything will be ok.
ruppelclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I have had no problems with my 2016 250rb.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:58 AM   #3
Site Team

You will hear horror stories on every forum about every brand. You are right in taking them with a grain of salt.

You didn't state when you were picking up the new trailer. I think there is a couple options for you to consider.

Every delivery and PDI that I have ever been involved in, has been done inside the dealer facility. In the cold weather I wouldn't accept any thing else. There are not to many dealers now days that are unable to do it that way, and, still perform a full PDI for the customer. If your dealer can't or won't do the full PDI inside a heated building, you might consider putting off picking up your unit until the weather is warmer.

In my opinion, you would be making a big mistake to take delivery of that unit without having everything explained and shown to you in full detail.

Another thing is to get a copy a PDI and follow it to the letter. I suggest either sending or dropping off a copy of the PDI for your dealer so they know you are expecting and maybe set aside the adequate amount of time. If you don't have a PDI list, you can download one from the documents section of the forum, or you can get one here.
Doug's RV Checklist Page

Good luck and congrats on the up coming trailer.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

no major problems

there are lemons in everything. I have a Sunset Trail that I love.we have had a few minor things that needed fixing but have had no major problems, knock on wood. its been a year now, so we shall see. we did purchase the extended warranty, but hope to not need it. good luck --------------------------- 2015 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST 270bh 2015 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4
baddfeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #5
New Camper

So the dealer just called.... (we are picking this up IN A FEW HOURS).....and they said the fridge is bad in our unit, so they are swapping our unit with another one on the lot?!? So now we have to get the new VIN numbers to the bank... etc and for insurance.... what a headache!
Is this a bad sign already or WHAT!?
Old 02-19-2016, 08:17 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Make sure it has as much stuff on it as the other one.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Lloyd's comments are very good. I just want to add a couple of things.

1. When your PDI is complete, do NOT sign the delivery documents until all of the PDI issues have been resolved. The dealer tried to pressure us a bit to sign on the day of the PDI but don't let them. At this point, the dealer still owns the RV which gives the dealer incentive to fix any issues to your standards so that you will accept the unit.

2. If you can't wait for warmer weather to do the PDI, ensure that the dealer re-winterizes the RV. You want no water in your plumbing system during a Wisconsin winter. And don't let them forget to winterize the outdoor shower.

Enjoy your new RV.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:21 AM   #8
New Camper

I sure hope so, we are really looking forward to all of this! :-)
Old 02-19-2016, 08:23 AM   #9
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCowboy View Post
Lloyd's comments are very good. I just want to add a couple of things.

1. When your PDI is complete, do NOT sign the delivery documents until all of the PDI issues have been resolved. The dealer tried to pressure us a bit to sign on the day of the PDI but don't let them. At this point, the dealer still owns the RV which gives the dealer incentive to fix any issues to your standards so that you will accept the unit.

2. If you can't wait for warmer weather to do the PDI, ensure that the dealer re-winterizes the RV. You want no water in your plumbing system during a Wisconsin winter. And don't let them forget to winterize the outdoor shower.

Enjoy your new RV.
When they do a PDI, do they fill tanks such as water tanks..and grey tanks... and ensure they work? Etc?
Old 02-19-2016, 08:24 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppelclan View Post
So the dealer just called.... (we are picking this up IN A FEW HOURS).....and they said the fridge is bad in our unit, so they are swapping our unit with another one on the lot?!? So now we have to get the new VIN numbers to the bank... etc and for insurance.... what a headache!
Is this a bad sign already or WHAT!?
You are back to square one with this RV. Switching the entire unit means a completely new PDI.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:26 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

It is a big purchase and can be nerve racking wondering and worrying about making a bad choice, but it sounds like your dealer is doing a good job prepping and checking the unit.

I don't think it is a bad sign or any indication of any other larger issues with the rig. Try to have fun, and enjoy the new rig!
Old 02-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #12
New Camper

Just a note.. we haven't had any PDI yet.. it will be today when we pick up the trailer. So even though we are switching to a different unit... we never even saw the first one. (we picked this camper out at a camping show... and ordered one)
Old 02-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppelclan View Post
When they do a PDI, do they fill tanks such as water tanks..and grey tanks... and ensure they work? Etc?
They don't typically fill the tanks completely, but yes, they should have some water in the fresh tank so you can test the pump and plumbing fixtures.

I agree that since you are in Wisconsin you should have them drain and re-winterize your system.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Make sure they winterized it.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #15
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandkim View Post
Make sure they winterized it.
I am assuming they have to dewinterize it... to do the PDI.. and then rewinterize it. How long does it take to winterize a trailer?
Old 02-19-2016, 09:43 AM   #16
Site Team

About 10 to 15 min.

Go over your list on the one you ordered and make sure the different trailer has all of those items you ordered.

And do a good, complete PDI---before accepting it.

If this is your first ever RV you might consider video taping the PDI, because you are not going to remember every thing
Old 02-19-2016, 09:46 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

ruppel
This is why I always tell new buyers on this forum to take delivery in the spring...If you ordered this unit and the refrigerator is bad the deal is off in my opinion...I would wait until I could do a complete PDI before I sign on the dotted line...Especially because something tells me the other unit they have in stock is not the same model as the one you ordered...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #18
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
About 10 to 15 min.

Go over your list on the one you ordered and make sure the different trailer has all of those items you ordered.

And do a good, complete PDI---before accepting it.
I printed the PDI checklist from the link above from Doug's RV checklist page, so that should help. At least it will keep us reminded of things we might otherwise forget.

And yes... I'm going to make sure it is exactly the same. I better not find that it's a different color scheme or I'll lose my mind!
Old 02-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
ruppel
This is why I always tell new buyers on this forum to take delivery in the spring...If you ordered this unit and the refrigerator is bad the deal is off in my opinion...I would wait until I could do a complete PDI before I sign on the dotted line...Especially because something tells me the other unit they have in stock is not the same model as the one you ordered...

Tommy makes some very good points.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:23 AM   #20
New Camper

So the PDI went pretty well. And just pretty well. Right off the bat, we pulled in and seen our camper parked outside...plugged in... etc. So we were under the assumption that our camper PDI would be done outside and I was immediately concerned about that. But then I just told myself... it's NOT A BIG DEAL.... AND GO WITH THE FLOW. The whole walk through went pretty good and we only found very minor things which they repaired right away. Things such as a piece of trim under bottom bunk mattress popped up on the corner, the strap that kept the pocket door strapped shut was broken, and one of the blinds was too tight. Very minor things. All good. We left pretty satisfied with the whole thing for the most part. We did really want them to go through the black water tanks and how to properly empty them, but like we feared might happen....they already prepped and then rewinterized it. Again.. we didn't want to be super fussy... and he told me they filled up the tanks up into the shower, and up into the toilet.. and all that good stuff. So we just trused them!
One more thing that we are unsure of.... is the water pump... and when we dewinterize it... what valves and what need to be shut and on... and whatever. He really breezed through that part... and we felt like we understood, but looking back, we don't.
Then, the PDI person said "NEVER DRINK WATER FROM YOUR CAMPER!! BRING BOTTLED WATER.. THE MICROBES THAT WILL GROW IN YOUR CAMPER CAN KILL YOU!!!!!"
I was like (moderator edit)?? So then a little bit later when there was a gal who was walking us through all the chemicals that we should add....etc (black tank and such).. I asked her if it was safe to drink the water and she said... "OF COURSE!!"
So, not really impressed with the mixed up info, but I'm sure we'll get it figured out in no time!! :-)