Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Problem with a swinger slide on 30 foot dinning room slide
No problem 15 51.72%
Had one problem 8 27.59%
Had it to the dealer more then once 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #21
Weekend Camper

Crossroads rep has been responsive. Forty five days later the problem is still not solved. Trailer is still in shop. Talk is cheap.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #22
Weekend Camper

When the dealer could not fix I raised a stink and made the factory pick it. I can only hope they can fix it.
Djkell001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:10 AM   #23
Weekend Camper

I hope you get it back promptly. After six weeks, I am still waiting for parts to arrive.

My paranoia abounds. Even if they fix it, how long will it be until the system fails again. Seems to be an ongoing problem.

Good luck.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #24
Full Time Camper

Having problems with mine again - back in for repairs - more damage this time to the top gear rail in front.

Looks like it has came out of "alignment" and the drive gear has been chewing up the rail.

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #25
Weekend Camper

<a href="http://youtu.be/ymt1Uesf0Pc" target="_blank">

Has anyone used the manual override shown in this video?

http://youtu.be/ymt1Uesf0Pc</A>
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #26
Full Time Camper

My controller is located under the bed - can't get to it while the slide is operating.
My problem is that the slide has been stuck in - the front motor can not be accessed like the back when the slide is in.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:27 AM   #27
Weekend Camper

It astounds me that Crossroads didn't put the "controller" with the instrument cluster rather than the inaccessable places they use. On my trailer, you would have to be a 40lb contortionist with perfect vision and a flashlight to see the flashing controller lights to diagnose the problem.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #28
Weekend Camper

We have a 2012 ST28FL and we are having problems with our slide going and and out, the controller on ours is under the sink in front of the hot water heater, we havenumerousissues with our camper and it is going back to the dealer onOctober10. AND THEY BETTER FIX THEM RIGHT THIS TIME!!
andreah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #29
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreah
We have a 2012 ST28FL and we are having problems with our slide going and and out, the controller on ours is under the sink in front of the hot water heater, we havenumerousissues with our camper and it is going back to the dealer onOctober10. AND THEY BETTER FIX THEM RIGHT THIS TIME!!

Have you been in contact with a CrossRoads Rep.? They are very helpful with developing a repair plan.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #30
Weekend Camper

They called me and told me mine was fixed. They said the rubber seal on the outside was rubbing and getting in the gear. Ther was a notch In the rubber seal at the lower rail. Definitely possible that it clogged the works. I am a little skeptical that it is fixed when I pick it up I will run it in and out a few times. I have to pick it up at the factory hopefully this weekend .
Djkell001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #31
Weekend Camper

;od luck. Mine is still at the dealers after a three week wait to get it to the them in the first place. They have now had my trailer for four weeks as of today. The Crossroads rep said it is fixed but apparently the dealership hasn't got the message. Lot of talk.Crossroads hasa defective slide system but seem unwilling to offer a solution (after market retro fit). Maybe its cheaper for them to deal with complaints than solve the issue with the slides.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:32 AM   #32
Weekend Camper

I have had numerous contacts with the rep. After seven weeks, my trailer is still not fixed. No big deal to them or the dealer. It has been 104 days since I took possession of the #@$@$ trailer. It workd for 43 days. In other words, it has not been functional for about 59% of the time.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:59 AM   #33
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkell001
They called me and told me mine was fixed. They said the rubber seal on the outside was rubbing and getting in the gear. Ther was a notch In the rubber seal at the lower rail. Definitely possible that it clogged the works. I am a little skeptical that it is fixed when I pick it up I will run it in and out a few times. I have to pick it up at the factory hopefully this weekend .

A piece of debris may have caused my issue too. Found this in the top of the gear rail.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #34
Weekend Camper

Well, I phoned the dealer and they told me that they had meant to call me but hadn't gotten around to it yet. They said the trailer was fixed.

When I arrived at the dealership today, I asked them to show me how the slide out worked, to make sure it had been repaired. The second time they put the slide out out, it would not come back in. The tech tried to use the electrical bypass (Crossroads calls it manual overide) to no avail. First of all he couldn't see the display on the panel because of where Crossroads has it hidden, secondly when he tried the bypass----it failed.

The trailer has now been broke since mid July. It has been at the dealers for repair since Aug 15th and it remains there today. They had no idea as to when they would or could get it fixed---but they are going to try real hard. I guess if your Crossroads product sits at the dealership for two years and the warranty elapses, you are stuck with one of the biggest financial mistakes of your life.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #35
Full Time Camper

Having owned two Crossroads fifth wheels with the "old" style slide mechanism, maybe it is time for Crossroads to seriously evalute whether they should continue to use this Swintek slide system. Seems like we are seeing more and more problems and more and more unhappy owners. It seems to be a rather tempremental system that requires a lot of attention.Sometimes you just have to say enough is enough and move on. JMHO.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #36
Full Time Camper

Maybe the new 12 Point Promise program will take care of all the issues like this one that seem to be popping up lately on the forum. I guess I look at it differently, build a quality unit before it leaves the factory and you won't need a 12 Point Promise. It is sure not the Crossroads of old.....

"The 12-Point Promise Program provides a comprehensive platform for all aspects of owner satisfaction from delivery to maintenance to service. It will also benefit existing customers as CrossRoads dealers are better prepared to service their needs. Complete information on the 12-Point Promise will be rolled-out at the upcoming Thor Open House Sept. 18 through 20 at the RV Hall of Fame in Elkhart, Ind."

Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #37
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemac377

Having owned two Crossroads fifth wheels with the "old" style slide mechanism, maybe it is time for Crossroads to seriously evalute whether they should continue to use this Swintek slide system. Seems like we are seeing more and more problems and more and more unhappy owners. It seems to be a rather tempremental system that requires a lot of attention.Sometimes you just have to say enough is enough and move on. JMHO.

I'm not sure if the problem is with the Swintek system or just a lack of knowledge/experience with this new system. I know that the Prime Time Crusader has used this same system for all of it's SO's since the unit was first introduced several yrs ago. I visited the Forest River forum and viewed the Prime Time sub forum. There don't seem to be any complaints about the Swintek system, at least not the type being reported here. There were two complaints of burned out motors, apparently due to the control panel switch sticking and leaving the motor running continuously. There are other brands/models using this system as well, maybe more research and communicating with other owners would be of some help.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:04 AM   #38
Weekend Camper

I did a netsearch. As I recall, Forrest River, Jayco, Crossroads, &amp; Winnebego (spelling?) also experienced someproblems. In a conversation with a service rep, she said there were quite a few problems with the system &amp; also stated that Crossroads seemed to have the majority of them. This commentcame from only one dealer. In my opinion, the issue is probably size of the slide out. The motors aren't big enough for the job.

Also, in my opinion, having to dis-engage the motors (requiring a step ladder to access) to put the slide out back in is nuts. The cost of having a service tech come out to your camp site 150 miles away at $85 an hour plus mileage to dis-engage the motors and make the unit travel ready is crazy.

Actual camping with the trailer is like playing Russian Roulete. You hope that the system doesn't get stuck so you can get you and your family back home without having to abandon the trailer. In my opinion, that poses a significant safety concern.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:18 AM   #39
Full Time Camper

I think the slide system will probably work but the design of the bed unit needs to be improved in order to prevent the issue. Our bed frame drags in and out as it moves - the motors hardly have the power to make it go in and out - once most of the bed is out it move good and once the bed gets more than a third of the way in it "crawls" and hardly makes it to fully in to seat the seals.Wish I had made a video and passed it on to the CR rep.I have seen this on the RV.net fifth wheel forum:

CR has a TSB that details how to remove the center outside

rollers and install 4 new rollers INSIDE under the bed. 2 rollers at the

sidewall area and 2 rollers at the foot board of the bed frame. Also, they

relocate the slide controller to the LF outside storage to make access to it.Passed it on to the rep. that is helping to solve our problem.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:17 AM   #40
Weekend Camper

I have found the swintek slide operates much better with "full power". I either move the slide while plugged in or connected to the TV with the motor running. This slide can be sluggish when operating on the one battery that came with the unit, even if the battery is fully charged the slide is sluggish.
Sportsfan949 is offline   Reply With Quote