Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
New Camper

Im in the market for the ST 31BHS. I currently have a 2007 Yukon XL Denali. Its rated for 7900 per the internet.

I have heard the internet weight on the trailers varies from whats actually on the trailer so wanted to see if any other 31BHS owners have and what they tow with.

Do you think I will be safe or am I pushing it too much. I will load the trailer with just dishes, clothes, and some various items like lounge chairs etc. No water etc.

Your input would be most appreciated.

Jack
trkins33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

I have a CT31RL and dry is 6620 per sticker on unit, and pulling with a 2003 Chev. 4 x 4 Quad Steer and it's rated at 8200 lbs. Have been in mts up to 8500 ft and it does work hard to pull, but does the job. My concerns are brakes a little light and trans temp is something you must watch. I installed a guage and on long climbs temp gets to 240 degrees on trans. I am thinking about adding another cooler to the trans. Hope this helps you. Robbie
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Didnt we go over this already? LOL

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I think you may be pushing it, depending on how much gear and people weight you add. You can do it, don't get me wrong, but how safe? I made 3 trips with my 02 that has > 130k miles on it. I have 5 kids and lots of 'stuff' and I did it, but struggled a few times. I have now been out with our new 3/4 and it's night and day. I hit some of the same route that we were out with the old truck and this one handled it with aplomb. Sometimes it stayed in 4th when the other would have been in 3rd; other times it used the same gear but just seamed to handle it much easier and with plenty of power to spare.

Stopping though - I'm not sure I notice much difference. I've always tried to leave plenty of space and slowed down early. I had to stand on the brakes once, and I had no problems taking off some speed and keeping it straight without fear of hitting anything! The old truck was rated for 7400. That didn't leave me a lot of head room for anything much!

My 29SS has a sticker that rated me dry at > 6200; my truck is rated at 9300 (4:10 + Dana 60 axle) so I'm hoping to have options for kayaks and/or bikes without any issues!

Prev.: '05 GMC Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer
CenterLine HD (original)
1 wife, 5 kids, 1 rescue lab-mix
FezUSA is offline   Reply With Quote