Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
New Camper

Send a message via AIM to jbartuch
I have a Sunset trail ST30BH. I pull it with a half ton chevy truck.The trailer hasa tonge weight of 875 lbs. The dealer that I bought the trailer from sold me a 1000lb weight distibution hitch and told me that with this hitchI should have no problems. Yes it pulls down the road as good as I can expect a 30 foot trailer behind a half ton pickup, however even with the 1000lb hitch the rear end of the truck still drops. Is there a solution like a better hitching system or is there an adjustment that I don't know about, or is this just what happens even with a weight distribution hitch.

Please help

Jeff Bartuch
jbartuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

In short I believe you need a larger truck. The GVWR of your trailer is 7875lbs. At the least it sounds like you need a good overload system for the rear axle of your 1/2 ton truck. The problem you will have down the road is the rear bearings on the half ton. What is the wheel base of your truck? If you have a short box standard cab you will have problems with a 31'7" trailer. A longer wheel base will handle the long trailer better. A trip to the local truck scales will also help sort out what is needed. This will help in getting the weight distribution so you do not overload one of the axles on the truck. Be sure the trailer is ready for you camping trip. Water tanks full and most of yourcamping accessoriesloaded in the trailer. I do like the floor plan of your ST30BH. When we were looking for a 5th wheel there were not very many that had the entertainment center directly across from the couch like your ST30BH. Some reason I do not like to watch a TV turning my head 90 degrees. Good luck getting your system to do like you want.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

You might want to try air bags in the rear

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:17 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

While I don't have direct experience, all weight distribution hitches are adjustable. You need to find someone locally that can help. But what will help is to get everything weighed. First get the truck weighted solo, front axle and rear axle, then repeat with the WD set as it is now. You will know how much of the hitch weight is going on each axle of the truck and therefore how much additional adjustment is needed.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:40 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

This video and it might help. . .

Grandchildren

Not Enough Time
RCDCTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Don't know all your weights but you should have about 13% of the trailer weight (loaded for camping) on the hitch. I towed a 30BH (not crossroads product) for years with a 1/2 ton suburban. It also squatted at first, then I tightened up the chains a link or two till the suburban and trailer were level. If the TV sags then at least two things will happen...you will get WAY too much bounce, your front tires will become light and steering may be at risk especially in the rain. You should get HD shocks and a GOOD sway bar (or two). RCFLYER makes some good points. I had to replace my rear axle bearings at 75K. Good luck.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

We have 27 RB and pull it with F150 supercab 4X4. It tows really well and it's a short bed. I've never weighed the setup but it seems to be fine. We have the Podigy controller which is better than the Voyager we did have. I have pulled with the 4 wheeler in the truck bed and that made the truck sag.
Happy camping.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham
I have a 30BH and tow it with a Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab short bed. I have no problems with sag. Like Stan said, it may just be a matter or tightening the chains a little bit. I have towed about 3,000 miles with this setup and no problems. Prior to that I towed with a Chevy Silverado extended cab short bed and it was also fine with just the weight distribution hitch.

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
New Camper

Send a message via AIM to jbartuch
AFTER A LOT OF ADJUSTING, I HAVE NOTICED A BIG IMPROVEMENT, IT STILL SAGS ABOUT AN 1 1/2 INCHES THOUGH, BUT MUCH BETTER THAN BEFORE. THAT WAS WITH A FULL TANK OF FRESH WATER ON THE CAMPER AND A LOADED COOLER IN THE BED OF THE PICKUP. WITH THAT 1 1/2 INCHES OF SAG THE FRONT AND REAR OF THE TRUCK ARE EQUAL. DOES THAT SOUND LIKE IT WOULD BE ACCEPTIBLE TO TOW OR INSTEAD OF 1000LB BARS SHOULD I LOOK AT 1200 LB BARS.
jbartuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #10
New Camper

I have the 31ft. Sunset Trail and pull it with a 2007 chev half ton.

I have the Max trailer pak so I do have a heavier duty axelso I dont think

I will have bearing probs down the road. I installed the firestone air bags

and they work great, and were not to bad to install. It still drops about

2 inches which is fine. I could set the air bags so it wouldnt move at all

but the truck and trailer are level as it is. I have the equilizer hitch with

1200 lb bars. I recommend the Firestone air bags!
Seamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:52 AM   #11
New Camper

We own a 2007 Sunset trail ST31QB and until this year I towed it with my 2006 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton. I too had the sag in the rear. I installed airbags in the rear by AIRLIFT. There is a compressor that goes under the hood with a gauge in the cab to adjust as you need. It took care of our sag. The nice thing was that if you don't pack the trailer exactly the same every time the air bags allow for adjustment. We ran this set up for two years, over 3500 mileswith great results. The biggest issue was not driving more then 6-8 hours at a time and keeping the speed to 60 worked best. We had an opportunity to upgrade to a 2007 Sierra 2500HD diesel and it is absolutely a better set up. The 1/2 ton is at it's towing limit which scared my wife a little. This helped with the upgrade to the diesel.Hope this helped.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:11 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Hi! We've been towing our 30ST for three years now. First 2 yrs were with an 05 f150 &amp; currently an 09F150. Clearly the new truck with the max tow package &amp; 3.73 gears make a difference, but the 05F150 wasn't too bad either but only had the 3.55 gears. Little slow on the hills. With the hitch setup, the DH worked on the new truck for a few hours at the scales to get this one right for how we load &amp; such. I'm quite comfortable with it and that's saying a lot cause i'm more particular than he is....LOL. We have the reese dual cam &amp; 1200 bars. So it's doable, just have to know your limits.

Owen & Ethan

Shaggy
tmstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

I pull a ST29RL with a 1/2 ton suburban. I have a Reese equalizer set up with swaybar. It has the stirrup/bar combo, not just the chain/bar. I had to go one link higher on chain when it is loaded for use but I sit pretty level. I do have newer springs [my guy put truck spring as replacement.]

ST29RL

https://i575.photobucket.com/albums/s...unsettrail.jpg
icefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:47 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbartuch
I have a Sunset trail ST30BH. I pull it with a half ton chevy truck.The trailer hasa tonge weight of 875 lbs. The dealer that I bought the trailer from sold me a 1000lb weight distibution hitch and told me that with this hitchI should have no problems. Yes it pulls down the road as good as I can expect a 30 foot trailer behind a half ton pickup, however even with the 1000lb hitch the rear end of the truck still drops. Is there a solution like a better hitching system or is there an adjustment that I don't know about, or is this just what happens even with a weight distribution hitch.

Please help

Jeff Bartuch
It don't matter how long your trailer is,,,,it's the weight of your trailer that matters,,,and a 1/2ton truck is rated around 6700 to 7300 max tow,,,they will pull more ,,but you will be in a bind all the time and a big bind going up hills,,,and your motor size comes into the pic also,,,,,,most 30 ft. TT weigh over 6700 lbs. ,,,,,,I think you need a 3/4 ton to pull it comfortable,,,,,,,that's just my 2 cent worth,,,good luck.......

https://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...TTOYS019-1.jpg
challeno is offline   Reply With Quote