Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2015, 12:18 PM   #1
New Camper

Toyota tundra and a sunset trail reserve 32RL

Question to anyone out there towing with a half ton-we have a 2014 Toyota tundra rock warrior and are looking at the 2015 Crossroads SUNSET TRAIL 32RL. We are thinking about going full time in this for awhile and wondered if anybody had weight issues? It is a 1000 lbs lighter than the Winnebago Ultralite.
Or any suggestions. We love the floor plan in this!
pamelaweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:44 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

We towed ours with an F150 for a year. Had to be very careful with weights. Bought the upgraded trailer knowing we would be upgrading to be able to tow anywhere but the eastern mid-Atlantic with mainly flat roads.

2014 ST32RL
2012 F250 XLT 6.2L
EQUAL-I-ZER HITCH
zrxkuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #3
Site Team

I think you are going to have more trailer then your Toyota is going to like.
GVWR is 9798. That might be more hitch weight then the Toyota is rated for. Especially after you subtract the people and stuff you will have in the truck.

Best thing to do is check out your truck and see exactly what it's rated for. Then you will know. There should be information on the door post that will tell you.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:04 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

2x on Lloyd's comment. The issue with 1/2 tons and travel trailers nearly always comes down to hitch weight. Overloaded hitches are very, very dangerous. It will cause handling problems in truck and trailer.

Check your max from Toyota. With a loaded trailer and full capacities in the vehicle your most likely over. We originally had our hearts on the 32BH, but while it was a very light trailer, it pushed us over at the hitch. Yes, we could tow it empty with no passengers, but once we loaded up the family and trailer, we'd be way over. You may want to consider the ST290RL.

If you are really full timing in this, you don't want to be white knuckle driving all the time.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:28 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I have a 2014 Tundra also. I tow a 270BH, which I think is somewhere around 6k dry. I have no problem pulling that, but I agree with Lloyd and Mark; the trailer your considering pulling is too much trailer for your Tundra. Get a lighter trailer or a bigger truck (F250). Sorry.
nachtmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

This is the wrong forum to ask this question. Everyone here will tell you that your truck is too small to pull anything unless you have an f350.
2012: 10 Nights & 254 Miles

Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Can it tow it yes, will you enjoy it? Who knows.

Why not just buy it and tow it around for a few weeks and see what you think. Everyone will tell you that a bigger truck will tow better, simple math greater margin = more enjoyable experience.

Try it with your tundra, get an equalizer and it will pull pretty nice.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:19 AM   #8
Site Team

I don't know about this being the wrong forum for the OP to ask what is thought of pulling that TT with a Toyota.
I think it's the right place to ask. Most of us here are trying to be honest in our help offered, and also we're thinking not only of the safety for the OP and occupants, but also of the safety of other travelers that are out on the highways.

Will it pull it? Sure it will.
If there is an emergency situation that comes up will it be up to the task? Who's to say for sure.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

As long you don;t hit any hills your truck will pull it...Give yourself alot of stopping distance. I live on the east coast and that wouldn't make it. The hill will kill you.....Think it out carefully...I went to a 2500 before even thinking about it.
2015 Sunset ST32RL
Wantabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #10
Site Team

My opinion on honest answers is look at my signature picture. Cruiser Patriot-Ford F150 Ecoboost, modified rear suspension.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Pamela, we tow a 32BH with a F150 FX4, rear airbags install, propride hitch and we keep the truck payload at a minimum. No problems or white knuckles.
ShannFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
My opinion on honest answers is look at my signature picture. Cruiser Patriot-Ford F150 Ecoboost, modified rear suspension.

My sig also states Ford F150 Eco-Boost.
In all fairness tho, we should both acknowledge that our 1/2 tons are not like the 1/2 tons of old. We have way more truck then they ever thought of being. We have way more truck and payload then that Toyota has.
I wouldn't want to hook on to my 5er with a 1/2 ton Toyota.

I'm not trying to knock Toyota, they are a good truck, but a person just has to realize what the limitations are.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:24 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

There was a chap here for several years that pulled a Zinger 5th wheel with his Tundra. He traded both in on a Motor home. He went from upper New York to Florida
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

I have a buddy who towed a large trailer with 1/2 ton, said the worst part of any trip was thinking about towing home. You have to be comfortable with your setup to enjoy the experience. I feel good about my setup at the moment but I plan to tow to Disney next year and will probably have a nice 3/4 ton diesel tied to the TT by that time.

Happy & Safe Trails to All
H&S Performance MiniMaxx
Propride P3 Hitch
ShannFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:01 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

My ST29SS loaded averages in at 6800lbs. I have a Reese Dual Cam hitch and I can honestly say it tows great. Because my tires are aged out, Wednesday I am replacing the P-rated tires that came on the Tundra with E-rated BF Goodrich just cause it seems like the right thing to do.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
This is the wrong forum to ask this question. Everyone here will tell you that your truck is too small to pull anything unless you have an f350.
Not trying to offend anyone with my comments, not offering opinions but facts. It's basic math and calculated maximums per the manufacturer of the TV and trailer. Everyone can do whatever they want in the end.

And oh, by the way, the trucks are never too small, it's the trailers get too big!

Old 05-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Finally, something I have a lot of knowledge about!
I also have a 2014 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 that I use to pull our Sunset Reserve 33BD (Big Honkin Trailer!). So far I have modified the Tundra by adding TRD rear sway bar for more stability, a 3/1 lift to give me a little more ground clearance when towing it without the weight distribution system (storage to campground), 34" diameter E-rated tires to help eliminate the rear sway from the tire flex, and a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller to try to get the most help from the trailer brakes. I'm probably going to add air bags to the rear in the future for a little more stability and less stress on the leaf springs. So that's where the truck stands right now. It will tow the trailer fine, if I stay on top of it all the time. No driving distractions or it can get a bit squirrelly fast. I believe it's because the trailer outweighs the truck by about 1 1/4 tons (factory spec dry weights on both) and is almost 17' longer than the truck. Mass wins and semi trucks increase my heart rate. So I use my Tundra to tow in situations where it can be a nice, easy, no interstate tow.

My previous truck was a gas 3/4 ton crewcab 4x4. It out-weighed my Tundra by over 1500 lbs. Had a bit less power than the Tundra and the brakes were not nearly as good as the Tundra. But it would pull big trailers very capably and with limited white knuckling.

If I have to tow the 33BD long and fast (only once so far), I borrow a buddy's F450 dually to get the job done effortlessly. Not everyone has this luxury, but it is what keeps me from replacing my less than one year old Tundra with another HD truck.

Everyone has their own comfort level, so do what helps you maintain yours. Hope this helps!

Robb
Old 05-12-2015, 09:51 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Mark and everyone,

The 32RL in 2015 is TT. That's why we've all been squakin' about hitch weight.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:30 AM   #19
New Camper

Tundra and trailer

Thanks everyone so much for all the input-the tundra has a towing capacity of 10,100 lbs I believe and the hitch weight is 1200 I believe.
We have towed a tremendous amount in the past with our F350 and 35 foot steel horse trailers with the critters wriggling around so we are not newcomers to this but at this moment can not afford a truck "and" trailer upgrade from the Toyota. We are not looking at hauling long distances and are not big packers of weight-we live with little.
We are going with stabilizer bars and obviously trailer brakes and will look into the other suspension options. The tundra has the rock warrior package with the beefed up suspension already.
I certainly appreciate all the comments and while we would love a big Ram it will have to wait for a year or two while we wait for our property to sell
Saludos-Pamela
Old 05-18-2015, 11:43 AM   #20
New Camper

Thank so much Robb- we'll look into some of the mods you have made.