Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I've read on forum here that you should NOT sit (or stand) on any portion of slide when in "closed" position. I recall on our first trip in our new ST25RB, stopping in a rest area for a lunch break & sitting on dinette seats. Only did that once, then read post about how that can possibly damage the slide?? Nowhere in the manual does it warn against doing this. Any thoughts.....opinions? What are you folks out there doing? Really don't want to open slide in anyplace but home or campground, seems kinda stupid we have this nice kitchen that can't be used while travelling! Edited by: Tonemeister
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tonemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

JMHO, but I would not use the table or even step on the slide while it is in. I have heard to many horror stories and it takes less than a minute to push a button and extend the slide. I have opened my slides many times at rest stops to make lunch or whatever. there is plenty of room if you park where the big rigs park.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have a 25rb also with the schwintec slide that when in hovers about 3/4 above the floor so if you sep on it or sit at the dinnette you will pull the seat back from the slide wall.EASY FIX ...cut 3 pieces of 3/4 plywood about 12" x 12" and slide them under the slide at the inner most point (under the carpet area),one in the middle right under the seat back and the other 2 on each end. this will allow you to walk on the carpet part of the slide and sit at the dinette.
****Another idea is to reverse your bathroom door so it opens to the inside of the bathroom so you can access the bathroom with the slide in...

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:31 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley
EASY FIX ...cut 3 pieces of 3/4 plywood about 12" x 12" and slide them under the slide at the inner most point (under the carpet area),one in the middle right under the seat back and the other 2 on each end. this will allow you to walk on the carpet part of the slide and sit at the dinette.
X2---Been doing it for years.
If you stop and think about it---when the slide goes out, the leading edge settles down and rests on the floor, so if you have a support under the leading edge when the slide is in, it should be just as supported.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:38 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I have a 32RL which has the schwintec slides. I have two large ones on each side of the trailer.The lack ofoutside storage has been aproblem for us compaired to our old trailer.To help solve that (right orwrong) I put down the dinning room table ( as if it was going to be used as a bed) and use that area as storage. I put that slide in, place what needs to be stored (camp chiars, corn hole, coolers ext. then bring in the other slide. so bottom line, i'm not "walking" on my slide when it is in, but I do put weight on it. So far no issues.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:47 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Not trying to contradict anybody but it seems if the slide is ok with a heavy sleeper sofa and a dinette packed with stuff under the benches bouncing down the road, I would think it could take the weight of someone sitting at the table. Don't really know its ok to do or not but I haven't had any issues.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:51 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I emailed CR about this exact issue they recommended not to use while in at all.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:06 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

We don't have the Schwintek, but I would NOT use it.

The slide "tips" when it moves, then "tips" again as it seats against the wall. The floor of the slide is raised on the inside edge about 1-2". This "tipping" is what seals the slide and allows a flush-floor slide.

I don't like the idea of stepping on it, much less using the table. Just run it out...
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:29 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Just talked to Tech Support at Schwintek. They said if its all the way in or out you're good to go with using the space. Its only during the transition that you shouldn't step on it. </span>
Reese DC
Old 10-31-2013, 03:43 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

On my previous trailer the floor of the slide came loose from the wall. When the slide was in there was about a 1" gap, when out it closed up and was normal, the floor of the trailer supported the edge of it. When the slide is out the floor is supported on 4 sides, when in only on the outer edge and held up by the walls the rest of the floor is in the air. Look at it. Yours may be different. I wouldn't walk or otherwise use the slide when in. Ask Schwintek if they will fix it if it breaks?

I got 2 door stops and tied them together with a string for removal purposes. I put them under the edge of the slide when in, one at the back and another further up. Just for support.

2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:07 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I don't know if something has changed but I have a 2013 Reserve and I bought two rubber door stops when I first got the trailer and I couldn't even get the tips of the stops under the slide. Because of this great forum I was concerned and called Schwintek about stepping on it closed and they said it wasn't a problem. That was over a year ago. Called today because of this post and again was told the same thing. Also the height difference between the TT floor and the slide seem to be the same whether the slides in or out. Again not trying to start an argument just don't want the OP to worry because he sat on it once.
Reese DC
Old 10-31-2013, 06:06 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I don't know I have theSchwintek and when all the way in and you step on it i can see and feel a little flex in it. I don't think that wood is very thick and feel it could could crack.</span>
Old 10-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I have a cruiser and the construction techniques may be different, don't know. I do know that on mine when the slides are in the floor of the slide is held up by the outer wall and the front and back wall of the slide. It is suspended above the main floor of the trailer.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

hondavalk...if you have a free standing table and chairs ,you won't notice any difference ,but if you have the dinette with bench seats when you stand on the middle part of the leading edge it will push down thus pulling the seat back from the wall of the slide...the screws are not screwed into any meat thus pulls away ... If you want to see pics before I reinforced mine , I will repost them. The floor is only particle board (osb)so it only takes 30 seconds to slip the wood under.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

It only takes 30 seconds to run the slide out, too...

I would believe there is a big difference with the Schwintek. Apples and oranges.

Having seen uninstalled slides at the factory, I agree that I wouldn't trust the floor on a non-Schwintek slide.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote