Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Wardrobe slide leak

Have had our 2016 SRT32RL to the dealer 4 times now for a persistent leak on the wardrobe slide, with it closed. Dealer has replaced all seals on the trailer and slide to no avail. After bringing it home this weekend, washing it, and finding the leak still happening I started looking real hard at the seals. There is an overabundance of caulking at the bottom of the wiper seals that seems to be directing water to the bottom rail of the trailer, and then into the bedroom area. Do not believe the caulking should be this excessive, would appreciate any input regarding this. Concern is if the wardrobe slide is leaking like this, and we can see the floor, what is happening with the two larger slides where we can't see the floor at the wall? Getting ready to take the unit back for the 5th time. Having some serious concerns with this unit. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SRT32Rlslideright.jpg (225.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SRT32Rlslideleft.jpg (159.2 KB, 12 views)
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT, Mega Cab
Cummins powered
Golfreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:58 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I have a leak now in ours not a big leak but it's there it started this weekend i looked at all the seals around the slide and they all look nice and new and all the caulking is good can't see how water would get in there so i don't think it's coming from the slide at all, i looked at the seals on the roof by the front cap and found about a 1 inch long area on top middle where the caulking is gone all the other caulking looks great so i got that covered till i get some caulking and fix that, I'm hoping that this is the leak and it's working it's way down to the bottom of the slide where the waters is coming in I'll let you know once i get the caulking fixed, other then this little leak the wife and i really like this TT.
ridgerunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Bob,

I had a leak very similar to yours and after taking it to my dealer and leaving it for several months at a time, I decided to just fix it myself.
First and foremost, make absolutely sure your trailer is perfectly level... I use a 4 foot spirit level to level mine, even when the slides are closed. If I dont, I will have a leak in my wardrobe area. When it is level, I have had it in torrential down pours with no leaks.

Second, go over all the seams and look for cracks in the caulking. Similar to Golfreb, I had a crack in the sealant along the front where the cap meets the roof. Also pay attention to the square plastic cover on the front wall of your slide, you should have 4 of them, one at each corner. Make sure the chalk is good on them also. This was another area that mine had an issue and water would run inside it and down the inside of the metal channel.

Lastly, the plastic pan that runs along the bottom of your slide probably needs to be checked. On mine, when the slide rollers were installed they broke off one of the screws and did not bother fixing it correctly. So instead the roller has three screws instead of 4 and you guessed it, water was coming in the missing screw area when it pooled in the pan.

I would be glad to post some pictures to explain better, but it will have to wait until this weekend.

Good luck with your dealer, I know it is very frustrating after waiting months to be told it is fixed only to have it leak again after the first rain.
zerch911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

One other thing to check... look at the screws that hold the 4 plastic caps in place to the wall of the slide. The screws go through the wall and into a metal channel, if they did not cut them flush to the channel, they will push on your slide seals and cause water to run down on top of the slide when it is closed.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:44 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

A rv rain gutter fixed mine
Randy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:12 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Went out and re-looked at my trailer after zerch911 post and here are some pictures, you can see on the first one that some caulking is missing and it's open where water can get to the trailer siding on the inside of the seals, on the second and third pictures you can see the caulk all but gone on the lower rails on both side it don't even feel like caulking kind of feels like how old plastic would feel like after years of water and sun, anyway I'll have to wait till i get a good weekend with out rain and get these fixed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trailer 002.jpg (84.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Trailer 003.jpg (193.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Trailer 004.jpg (148.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-31-2016, 09:08 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Well got out and checked the roof seals real good and it all looks good and after re-reading zerch911 i checked my level and the right side sunk into the ground about a half bubble, so the rain was draining into the slide a very little put down some 6x6's and got it re-leveled and the next down pour we had i had not leaks with the slide in or out glad that's fixed, i still need to seal the bottom rails on the slide still.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:47 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Good to hear. I carry 6x6 boards with me everywhere I go. Never know what type of site you will get. Keep an eye on it and check your seal and sealant every 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk