Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
New Camper

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if any of you have noticed the front panel warping because of humidity or condensation problems.

I was told by the local dealer that they will not repair the RV because it's the third similar RV they try to repair without any success and it is now costing them money. I called the dealer where I bought my trailer and they are willing to repair it but it's a 10 hour drive. When I bought the RV, I was told by the salesman that my local dealer would take care of the repairs under the warranty but I am now told otherwise. I bought it out of town because the local dealler couldn't find what I was looking for.

It is really frustrating.
Filly12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:54 AM   #2
KMS
New Camper

I just posted under a different heading, but we are having issues with the top coat gone on the front panel and fading paint and cracking (no warping though). We bought the trailer used (2011) and the owner sent us information stating that the warranty was transferable. Now the dealer is telling us that it isn't. We are still trying to figure out what to do...

Old 08-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I have the same warping on my 2007 ST29RL, looks awful. Had the local RV dealer re-caulk the entire front end of the trailer. I'll be watching to see if it helps.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:11 AM   #4
New Camper

Same issue

I have a 2013 Sunset trail that the front skin warped last year. The service department replaced the entire skin under warranty. (they did a lousy job caulking it, looked very amateurish) Anyway we needed it to travel. This spring I had about an inch of water under the bed. The front skin has again warped and the caulking separated from the seam allowing water to enter the camper. Crossroads customer service told me to take it back to the dealer and see what they said. This is very frustrating!! I have noticed that on the newer models the front skin is a wrap around section that doesn"t have the side seams. This tells me that there was a design flaw in the older models that Crossroads dealt with, but are not really willing to take responsibility for. Mine goes back to the shop next week. I will post on what happens text.
jrparnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:41 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

What you are experiencing is delamination. It is relatively common if your sealant is not kept in good condition and inspected regularly. Most people inspect at least twice a year and add lap sealant and caulk as needed. It seems from reading this forum that the Sunset Trails have an inordinate amount of water intrusion problems, especially at the front cap, so there must be a design flaw there that makes them more susceptible to problems. Good luck. Hopefully you will be able to get repairs under warranty. Delamination problems are very expensive to repair.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Is this more of an issue with the laminated front panels or the models with the front fiberglass cap that have the edges wrapping around the sides?

I'm waiting on delivery of my Reserve ST26RB any day now. The main reason I chose this model over the "superlights" is the front panel!
Old 03-23-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
New Camper

Flat front panel

Mine is the flat front with exposed seams. The newer ones have the wrap around front that should solve the problem. Mine goes back to the shop Thursday for another try at it. Good luck with the Reserve!
jrparnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Just picking mine up from dealer on thursday. Dealer had it since october, then crossroads wanted to fix it. The front cap was replaced by dealer once found a bunch delamination, then crossroads took it and fixed an issue with the roof and slide water leaks. Dealer recaulked and sealed back in October. Once i got it back from crossroads, dealer discovered caulk which they put on in October was deteriating so they are going over the whole thing. Keep checking caulk, keep up on it. I have found this the most important thing to do with the trailers. I am just looking forward to a problem free summer , since i bought brand new and only a little over a year old Happy campingSt27bh sunset trailf-250 powerstroke
wayne bair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:40 AM   #9
New Camper

I had the similar problem on my 2011 within the first year...it was resolved directly by the manufacturing plant. They paid me to have it repainted with a high gloss car paint to match by a collision repair location of my choice. This collision repair business had already repaired several before mine. But the real issue is the manufacturing plant did not use UV protectant in the gel coat. But it was quite an ordeal to get it done. But a check was sent directly to me for payment to the collision repair business. Hope this helps. Kelley
Old 03-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpopwer74 View Post
I had the similar problem on my 2011 within the first year...it was resolved directly by the manufacturing plant. They paid me to have it repainted with a high gloss car paint to match by a collision repair location of my choice. This collision repair business had already repaired several before mine. But the real issue is the manufacturing plant did not use UV protectant in the gel coat. But it was quite an ordeal to get it done. But a check was sent directly to me for payment to the collision repair business. Hope this helps. Kelley
I think you may be talking about fading paint, whereas the OP is dealing with delamination. However, your post is good news for all those who have had premature fading.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote