Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

In April I bought our 2013 ST31BH. We used it over Memorial Weekend and after the trip we had it in our drive way to clean it up and prepare it for storage. During this we had some rains and my wife noticed water pouring and I mean POURING in through the shower skylight. I got up there and found that on 2 corners of the skylight under the sealer the skylight was cracked. The sealer had a 1/8 inch hole alllowing water in. I have no idea how long it sat on the lot with the hole. The damage can be in the roof, wall and possibly down to the floor. I don't want this thing. I've owned it 2 months and I'm dealing with water. Obviously in the live of an RV you have to deal with water but 2 months, NO WAY! I've scheduled a service inspection, but I don't want it fixed. Any suggestions? Anyone delt with something like this?

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I would have it checked by a dealer to see actual damage. Remember be calma least until you learn all the damage.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Site Team

Did it rain between the time you bought it and camped with it?? Whatever this is a warranty issue that you'll have to work out between you and the dealer. Might help to get an independent inspection to fully assess the damage. Going to be difficult to return to dealer without giving them a chance to correct problem. I don't believe there is a lemon law for RV's.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I'm trying to be calm. It's just frustrating. It has rained.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I think I would make a call to Crossroads Monday and let your dealer look at it. It came from Crossroads that way and I think I read a post yesterday about another owner having this same issue with their unit, so Crossroadsneeds to know. It is a shame Crossroads does not monitor this forum like other manufactures do so they could see potential problems and get them taken care of.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

you might want to see if crossroads will take it back to the factory to repair.... maybe insist on a new roof while it is there. what is the build date on your trailer? that will help determine how long the problem may have existed. Also look for any soft spots, delamination etc.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Our skylight had a crack in it also. We were gone at the time so sealed it up and were very worried like you, however, when we called the dealer said to go in the shower and that the skylight is in two sections. We unscrewed the bottom section and found no water had penetrated into the roof it had just leaked into the shower. The edges of the roof are turned up around the opening and the skylight was put on it two pieces on connected from inside the shower and one on the outside. After we calked up in the crack we did not get anymore water into the shower. Going in for repairs this week.
kcandsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Hunter ...you are right , there were more post lately about the same cracked skylight , and mine was one , fixed before I got it , but was over torqued ....here is my response to '911golf' that also had the problem...so 'kcandsting" . I recommend you email theses guys and complain also ...these builders have to understand that it is a piece of plastic, and they can't just use the same torque that is used to screw a wall to aluminum...

email Bill Hodge ( bhodge@crossroadsrv.com ) and Dan(or Don ? ) Emahiser ( demahiser@crossroadsrv.com ) {think he is the pres. }and voice your concern about your found problems . I did. There should be a set torque setting for that plastic skylight ....or at least someone should be accountable for cracking it and not fixing their screw up .

lets stick together here.thx

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Thanks Harley. I will let them know. I have faith in my dealer and I hope CrossRoads gives me the same feeling. It's frustrating we haven't been camping for 2 years because of our old camper. Now summer is here and my daughters just got out of school so we have a lot planned. If they don't correct this quick another summer will be lost.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Bert, if it was me I would try and be onsite when your dealer gets down to the roof and wood areas and take pictures of all the areas that might be effected by the water intrusion. Keep a paper trail on this whole deal just in case you need it later. You may not have any issue at all once they get down to the problem but then again you might.

I am not a social media person at all but I have read on other forums that some people that have had Crossroads balk on warranty issues seem to get them resolved by posting on the Crossroads FB page. They seem to have turned their attention to social media now instead of the forum and they do not want negative post for the world to see. Just another avenue should you not be taken care of the route you are going.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Thanks. I drive up Monday to the dealer and they will take it in at 9:30 AM. Hopefully they can open everything up while I'm there. It's a 5 hour drive and I work on Wednesday so I have to leave Tuesday night.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

The dealer is looking at it now. They showed me how the caulk took the shape of the crack. That means it was cracked when they installed the caulk. So 8 months of rains were able to get in. Let's see what happens. I'll keep you all posted.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:55 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Hey Bert! Just wondering what's the word on your roof repair. I hope LazyDays and/or Crossroads were able to take care of you. DH and I will be picking up our ST28BH in a few weeks at LazyDays, so we're really hoping things panned out in your favor and to your satisfaction.

Best of luck!
Edge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Lazy Days has been great. They fixed it! I just need the time to drive up there. It's a five hour trip for us. I truly believe having the right dealer makes a difference. So far they have a customer for life with me.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

That's great news. Glad to hear they took care of you. A good dealer makes all the difference, especially when dealing with RV warranty work.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Awesome, Bert! I'm super glad to hear that. I know you were plenty discouraged to find out about the issue in the first place. But it's great to hear that they have been helpful and lived up to your expectations.

This will be our 2nd purchase from LazyDays. Obviously we had a great experience the 1st time or we would not be back. Customer service is excellent there, and we felt like valued clients even though were were only buying a pop-up at the time. Now with our ST28BH TT on order, I'm looking forward to working with them again. I just wish it was already here instead of having to wait another month!!! But hey - I don't want to rush perfection.

Hope you get your TT back soon so you and yours can get out there and get camping!
Old 06-22-2013, 01:41 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

With the service I'm getting from Lazy Days its worth the 5 hour drive. How long does it take to get a TT when you order it!

Old 06-22-2013, 04:41 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Luckily, we're just under an hour from LazyDays. That makes us very lucky as far as service and warranty work are concerned.

They did not have a unit in stock, nor one on order, so we custom ordered. It'll be 6-8 weeks...which feels like an eternity, of course! I know it'll be worth it, but the summer is ticking away. Good thing we can camp all year round down here...and we do!