Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hi,

I have a 2012 Sunset Trail 26BH. I found a small drip coming down into the tub from the skylight. I went up on the roof to find that a corner screw holding down the skylight has crushed the corner of it and the putty/sealer they use is not covering it resulting in my drip. I called the dealer which is in another province about it. They said to send them pictures so I did. The dealer said to me that Crossroads will not warranty any of it as this is a maintenance issue and the roof should be checked 2x per year? I purchased this trailer pre-owned with a transferrable extended warranty that was orginally purchased. This trailer was purchased in July of 2012 with an extended warranty. I then purchased it from the original owner in January 2013. I don' t understand. The trailer is not even a year old. Any advice out there?

Thanks
911golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

If you are not the original owner then there is no warranty from Crossroads. They will not transfer the warranty to a second owner. I would find out who your extended warranty is with and seeif they will cover the repair.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Site Team

I agree with Keith on no factory warranty. Your only recourse is the extended warranty plan you purchased. Hopefully they won't tell you that you should have been up on the roof a little earlier.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
While the quality of the skylight installation is a disappointment and shoddy there is no factory warranty. Best to pull the skylight, dry everything out, and replace. At least you'll know you can install a skylight better then a Crossroads employee.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Mine had the same problem upon their delivery. They took the over torqued screws out and re screwed properly and resealed (but with white not beige) . I checked and looks like it is done right ....the white caulk will get dirty soon ,so it will look beige.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

unfortunately as you are finding out factory warranty is for first owner only. You will need to read the fine print on what is covered by your extended warranty. Be prepared to fight against them using anything they can to get out of it. The most common one is related to routine roof maintenance. good luck.Edited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks for everyone's input. I changedthe skylightout today to find that, yes each screw was over torqued resulting in cracks everywhere. Fortunately everything looked dry with no mould. I took more pictures and will send another email with them. How can over torqued screws from the factory and covered up no less with the caulking they use not be a warranty issue? We love this trailer but customer service is certainly non existent with this company. The only benefit of there incompetence is that I am learning to do repairs and maintenance myself.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Hey 911golf ...email Bill Hodge ( bhodge@crossroadsrv.com ) and Dan(or Don ? ) Emahiser ( demahiser@crossroadsrv.com ) {think he is the pres. }and voice your concern about your found problems . I did. There should be a set torque setting for that plastic skylight ....or at least someone should be accountable for cracking it and not fixing their screw up .

in my opin ...

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thanks Harley, I will do that.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

To Add My 2 cents!

From my experiences and from what I have read on this forum for the past 2 years, WARRANTY of any kind is a JOKE.

It really does not matter what the problem is there is no warranty, my experience:
-dealer unwilling to provide any warranty after the first year (read into that season).
-dealer unable to provide timely repairs to anything unless of course you are looking at a January drop off, if you have an issue it is 3 - 4 weeks wait to get the unit in for work, where we live that is almost 1/3 of the season.
-manufacturer, take some pictures and send them in, they will make a decision! Then what? That is your issue, part of maintenance, out of warranty period, take it to the dealer (see above)

In my experience do the work yourself, which allows you to see exactly how the unit is put together and learn system operations.

Our axles were bent (new unit 2012 (purchased in 2011) used summer of 2011 & 2012 at the end of the season it was noted that one tire was extremely wore out on the inside after only 5000 miles. As winter was arriving I elected to put the unit in storage for the winter (2012) my mistake. When I got the unit out I took it into the dealer for "investigation" (the manufacturer required pictures and measurements). The result was: yes the axles are bent, warranty out of time range, but as good customer relations they will provide new axles, no charge, but will not cover install or any replacement tires or wheels. Sounds great.

Delivery 3 - 4 weeks.

OK what about install? Dealer will allow an appointment to be made AFTER the axles arrive and at this time it would be a 3 - 4 week delay getting the unit in for the install which will only take 1 day. A total of 6 - 8 weeks, GREAT.

I took the unit to an axle shop and had them assess the issue, the axles are bent, they will not straighten them as the side walls of the axle tubes are so thin the shop is afraid of bending, cracking, crushing the axle tube, they recommended new axles from a different manufacturer.

Decision new original axles with the same thin side-walls with a 6 - 8 week delay, I didnt feel safe driving the unit or wearing tires out and having to replace them every 5000 miles. OR new replacement axles built better, superior axle, with only a 2 week delay, the difference is: inferior axles I pay the install, superior axles I buy and pay the install, the only difference is I pay for the axles, and the time involvement.

I elected to buy new axles, safety, peace of mind, PLUS we didnt loose a whole season and didn't have to cancel our major holiday plans which has reserved camp sites paid for already.

egrum is offline   Reply With Quote