Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
New Camper

Waste Valve Replacement

After dropping my trailer off three weeks ago, my dealership now says they wont have time to replace my leaking black tank valve before May long, and probably not until June! I'm going to pick it up from them on Thursday and do it myself.
The dealership is aways away and I would like to order a replacement valve to be here for the weekend, but since I don't have the trailer right now, I have to ask you all what I should buy? Are they standard valves that you can pick up on Amazon or a hardware store? How do you get the long handle extension or can you re-use the old one?
Is it ridiculous to remove the underbelly plastic or should you just cut an access window in it?

thanks in advance

Evan
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD EXT (if all else fails)
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I replaced mine last year with an electric valve from DrainMaster. The valve is probably a Valterra & should be available from Amazon or most any online dealer (eTrailer.com, maybe). Just saw that you are in Alberta so that could be interesting shipping internationally.

You can get them with the long cable (which is why I replaced mine, the cable started sticking). If you want to try, Bontrager Surplus in White Pigeon, MI had them on the shelf so you might try there. I've seen them there that the cable was separate so maybe you can reuse your old one. If so, lube it good while you have it out. It seems that some of the valves can have replaceable seals but I have no experience with those.

Make sure your tank is empty before you start the project (goes without saying). From the DrainMaster site, you could possibly pull the old valve & slide the new one in place.

Good luck.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:31 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
After dropping my trailer off three weeks ago, my dealership now says they wont have time to replace my leaking black tank valve before May long, and probably not until June! I'm going to pick it up from them on Thursday and do it myself.

The dealership is aways away and I would like to order a replacement valve to be here for the weekend, but since I don't have the trailer right now, I have to ask you all what I should buy? Are they standard valves that you can pick up on Amazon or a hardware store? How do you get the long handle extension or can you re-use the old one?

Is it ridiculous to remove the underbelly plastic or should you just cut an access window in it?

thanks in advance

Evan

You really need to get it in the air and remove the underbelly. Just s bunch of sheet metal screws holding it in place. It’s a job to replace since your on your back and. Well...it’s a black tank valve.

If you mean by leaking it’s not fully shutting off at the gate completely you may want to take a pass at crawling under there and wait till you have your trailer in again for service at another time (like the end of the season). That said you can use a temporary valve at the connection. I carry one with me for emergencies. I’ve had my gate bust on a trip. Not fun.

This one attaches at the sewer hookup. Here’s a link.

Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGHYJS..._CwK-Ab7SS7DRJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

BTW

You do not want to start hacking up the underbelly. First, you need room to work in there to access the valve and the cover does serve a purpose.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I have to agree with OhioMark. Use the emergency valve he listed and leave this to the end of the season. Anytime you are messing about with the black tank, it needs to be empty & hopefully dry.

Dropping the belly pan is no fun. Someone passed along a tip for cutting into the cover. Use Gorilla tape & heat it. The tape basically won't come off.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:32 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Many members always use that Valtera valve at the discharge tube. It’s nice to have in case of leaks, and also you can combine the capacity of dual grey tanks with it. It just twists on. Then you will have time to get it fixed at your convenience.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:11 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

I'd get the rv back & go use it, with or without the extra valve, & see if maybe whatever is in the valve washes out.
Chances are you don't need an entire valve, that requires cutting/gluing the ABS piping, but just need the new gate &/or seals. Do this by removing the 4 bolts on the valve & pull the gate out that's sandwiched in there, repair/replace the gate, replace seals & lube all internals with some plumbers grease.
Other than being on the black tank & having to lay on your back, it's not a difficult job, as mentioned be sure to drain/rinse the tank thoroughly.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:44 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Not sure how old your unit is but mine had to be replaced on my 2016. Dealer said they have had to replace quite a few of these on newer model CR units. Maybe a bad run of valves?

Old 05-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #9
New Camper

Thanks for all the replies.
The Unit is a 2016, so maybe it is in fact a bad run of valves.
I would think it is the seal, as the "liquid" drains into the discharge piping and the "solids" stay behind. About 5 times I have filled the black to the brim, left it overnight and then drove about 10 miles to the tourist centre that has a sewer dump and the valve still leaks. So at the very least I would be looking at new seals I would think.
I have just ordered the twist on Valterra valve, so thanks to those who advised it. I have campsites booked for every weekend, save one, from now unit mid august. I will be looking at the end of season service I am sure.

And thanks again for all the replies, and if I decide to try to tackle it in the one off weekend in June, I will update for all.

Evan
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD EXT (if all else fails)
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #10
Site Team

Do a "Geo Method" cleaning of the tank. https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/ This usually releases the solids stuck to sides of tank and maybe at the valve also. Then pour in a mixture of hot water and cooking oil. That will help loosen up the valve and maybe clear the leaking.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:45 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

I have the same issue on my 2017 Volante 310 BH. Leaking black tank valve.

I winterized knowing this and I just rinsed out the tank. I left it open on purpose last weekend and will replace this weekend. Hopefully it will be dry enough.

Lots of YouTube videos on this. I’ll post some picks if I remember to take them.
Vikes79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

sewer valve

Just cut the underbelly, change the valve and tape up the fabric with the tape the rv folks use. Not an easy job, but you dont have to drop all the underbelly fabric.
Mine has been travelling with a tape job for 5 years.
davidfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:48 PM   #13
New Camper

Bought my sunset 210fk Thursday new at paul sherry in ohio.
Last and third stop on way home today, Sunday, and the black tank won't empty. Feels like the rod is disconnected from the valve.
This is ugly. Now what.
Sp9170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp9170 View Post

Last and third stop on way home today, Sunday, and the black tank won't empty. Feels like the rod is disconnected from the valve.

This is ugly. Now what.

Sounds like a crappy situation.[emoji23]

Old 06-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp9170 View Post
This is ugly. Now what.
You will either need to take it in to dealer or service center/mobile mechanic, or drop the coroplast underbelly and see if it is in fact disconnected. Then you may have a way of reattaching. I’ve never done this so I can’t give you any detail.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #16
New Camper

Plan
Call local NC dealer for repair. Warranty.
Ordered Valterra twist on valve.
Sp9170 is offline   Reply With Quote