Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 06:46 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Water in one light

We just bought a new 2018 SS262BH 8 days ago. I noticed one of the 3 main lights in the living room was out next to the A/C. So I went to unscrew the plastic dome cover on the light and it is full of water and I mean full, water spilled everywhere. Here is the really odd thing, I removed the 3 screws holding the LED light to see if the insulation was wet and it is not. It is bone dry inside the ceiling. The 3 screws are all rusty and have been for some time from the looks of it. I checked all of the other lights in the RV and found no more water or rusty screws.

I am starting to think that someone from the factory filled the dome cover with water out of spite. Like I said inside the roof is bone dry, no sign of water on the insulation or anywhere that I can find.

I have died everything off really good and have been running the A/C for 2 days and the light is still dry with no sign of water. It also rained yesterday and it is still dry.

Has anyone had this problem?
CobaltPaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
New Camper

I don't think an assembly line worker would have time to fill the light fixture with water.
allenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Check that the AC drain is clear and that the AC is snug to the roof gasket. It may be a condensate leak dripping into the light.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Has to be the AC or something dripping. Even if a worked filled with water (which is unlikely), it would’ve already evaporated before you purchased it. My guess is; it’s the AC drain or gasket as mentioned.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:38 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I've been running the A/C for a week and we have had some heavy rains and there is no water in any light. I've been on the roof and all looks good. So for the life of me I just can't find where that water came from.

2018 Sunset Trail SS262BH with 72 mods
2019 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 SRW SB
6.7 HO, Aisin trans
Old 07-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Was it raining when you drove it home? Might be getting in during driving. Just a suggestion.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 07-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

No it was sunny, I do appreciate the suggestion.

6.7 HO, Aisin trans
Old 07-14-2018, 08:00 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Funny, I just spent a couple hours inspecting a 2019 262 BH. During my inspection I found the plastic light cover from mid way down the trailer on the kitchen counter it looked like it had water in it at one point but had dried already. I looked at the ficture and roof no eve dense of water. I don't know what to think yet.
reedebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

What dealer was the RV at? I got mine from Courvelle's RV in Opelousas, Louisiana. Your post really has me wanting to find the cause!

6.7 HO, Aisin trans
Old 07-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I just brought mine home today, purchased from Pete's RV Center in Burlington VT. Talking with thier lead service tech, the only thing we could come up with is just the right condensation surcomstance while it was sitting. Like really cold to warming up while not ventilated, the aluminum rafters tranfering temperature to the ficture and dripping water. If you find something please let me know, if I do I will share what I discover.
reedebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

If there is no roof leak, condensation would be my guess.

First guess is a roof leak, that you haven’t found, yet.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedebr View Post
Funny, I just spent a couple hours inspecting a 2019 262 BH. During my inspection I found the plastic light cover from mid way down the trailer on the kitchen counter it looked like it had water in it at one point but had dried already. I looked at the ficture and roof no eve dense of water. I don't know what to think yet.

Turns out the TV antenna is directly above the kitchen light. Where the antenna wire goes in the RV had a tiny spot that had no sealant and water was running down the wire but the way my trailer was sitting in my driveway it has to be a driven rain to get under the antenna to get to the hole. When I went to get my slide topper installed that I bought when I bought me RV new, I had the service tech check it and he found it for me. He took a cup of water and I was inside with the light off the ceiling and he poured a few drops and I could see it coming in and dripping straight through the hole for the light wire and not hitting the inside of the ceiling at all. That is why I could not figure out what was up. The insulation on the inside was bone dry. All is good now!

6.7 HO, Aisin trans
Old 08-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Glad you found it. Thanks for updating us.