Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
New Camper

Can anyone tell me what Crossroads uses for insulation in their trailers? We have a 2012 Sunset Trail 29QB that we have used once and are having a lot of water issues We picked it up on May 7th from our dealer here in Nova Scotia and one of the front marker lights was not sealed properly which caused water to get in and ruin our mattress, and on our frist camping trip I discovered water in the cupboards above the coach (in the slide) and had water marks on the wall (at the bottom) aprox 1- 1 1/2" up running from under the coach to the closets in the bedroom. So...I'm not sure at this point what we have got ourselves into as far as damage to the inside of the walls

Any information of suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

07' Chev Silverado LTZ
2012 Sunset Trail 29QB
acochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I think you need a trip back to the dealer. this sounds larger than what's the insulation.
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Run don't walk to your dealer. You have to many leaks to mess with yourself. If this was my camper I would think about sending it back to the factory for repairs.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

CR uses fiberglas batt insulation in the walls and roof, so it will require some major work to get that dried out properly. I agree with others, get it fixed right either by the dealer or back at the factory.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Batt insulation is not suppose to be used after it gets wet. It really needs to be replaced to achieve good insulation. It takes a long time to dry in open air, left in a wall it could mildew/mold.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
New Camper

Thank you very much everyone! The camper is at the dealer now they are telling me that there is block styrofoam for insulation in it, however, I am going to contact Crossroads and find out for myself!I am really frusterated with it all right now but I will make sure it is fixed and fixed right, especially where it is brand new!

Thanks again
Jason & Angela

07' Chev Silverado LTZ
2012 Sunset Trail 29 QB
Old 05-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

This sounds like a bigger problem than your dealer is probably familiar with. I would reach out to CR to see if they will have it shipped back to the factory for repair / replacement.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
New Camper

Just picked up our new 24RB last week and noticed there was no caulking around any of the outside clearance and stop lights. Do they just seal under the light around the hole for the wires or what, all my other trailers had caulk around the lights...!

signalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
New Camper

They just seal around the wires under the light but watch your marker lights they didn't have one of ours sealed properly which caused water to come in and soak our matress in the camper

07 Chev Silverado LTZ
2012 Sunset Trail 29QB
Old 06-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

We are having similar problems with our 2011 Cruiser 30SKP. After storing it at our dealership for the winter, we discovered water stains on the wall above the kitchen slide, and on the bottom corners of the rear wall of the trailer. I'm taking it back to the dealership tomorrow but am not all that confident they have the means to do this kind of repair.

2007 Chev 2500 HD, D/A 4x4

2011 Cruiser CF30SK Provincial.

https://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/...way/th_014.jpg
Rambleaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #11
New Camper

Welcome to the world of new travel trailers, as far as the insulation goes, it if got wet, get rid of it. Don't let them talk you into just letting it dry out.

I would suggest forcing your dealer to send it to Crossroads for complete repair / replacement. I had the same problem with a fifth wheel I bought several years ago. Took it out the first time and it rained and water was running down the inside wall above the slide. They never fully sealed the roof seams. There was another small leak in the rear bedroom that actually caused the floor to start heaving, we didn't even notice the leak until it started causing problems with the floor. Back to the dealership it went. They took the entire side and back off the trailer, replaced all of the insulation and flooring in the rear bedroom and brought in a factory technician to reseal it. We spent 6 hours with a water hose on the roof after it was completed to make sure there were no more leaks. Ever since there haven't been any problems.

You have to keep in mind that the quality control at the manufacturers in some cases is not the best. After having owned several different RV's, whenever I go for the pre-purchase inspection it is a solid 10 hour day and I have found problems every time which have had to be fixed prior to taking possession. Dealers don't like it but it's your money. Sometimes these these units sit outside for quite a while between without being fully completed at the manufacturer (I have seen it with my own eyes, don't let the dealer tell you it doesn't happen. Then they sit for a long time at the dealer and if the seals aren't right it will cause you big problems down the road. Best to find out everything as soon as possible so they can't say warranty isn't covering it.

Good luck
traveler494 is offline   Reply With Quote