Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #21
Site Team

When I was growing up my parents were to poor to even think about going camping let alone owning one. Our trips out were day long excursions to pick wild berries—which ever ones were in season.
In the summer we would go fishing once in awhile after the chores were done in the evening.

After I got married and started a family I dug an old 1945 Ford pu out of the junk yard and did a pretty thorough rebuilding on it.
Then a friend helped me build a topper on it. We put a 4x8 piece of plywood across the front,hinged in the middle so it would fold and the wife and I slept up there. Two kids slept on the bed of the pu box. I don't think I will ever forget my daughter telling everybody—Tim and me have to sleep on the floor.

We had a lot of good times in that old truck, and it was all good.
From there we went to a tent for a few years, then a tent trailer, on to a TT.
Eventually we purchased a 10x55 trailer house and placed it on a lake. We used that for a few years and eventually sold it.
After being away from camping for some time, I eventually bought a pu camper. Used it mainly for fishing trips to Canada. WOW, what fishing.
From there we just gradually moved up thru the line of TT, MHs, and 5th wheels.
We did the wintering thing in AZ. For a few years, even owned a park model out in Apache Junction.
It has been a wonderful experience for the family, and my daughter continues to camp with her kids.
I to would like to thank jlongsta
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan.jpg (368.6 KB, 11 views)
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

Wow...nice truck Lloyd. Bet you wish you still had that!

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #23
Weekend Camper

camping saga

I would also like to say that most of the nicest people we know (DW & I) are campers. Wether we have camped with them or befriended them on this forum...

Not really a "sage" but, my wife and I have discovered that, for the most part, where ever you go in this country there are people who are not just friendly, but helpful, fun, and are genuinely glad to meet you.
loulyn147602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:20 PM   #24
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulyn147602 View Post
I would also like to say that most of the nicest people we know (DW & I) are campers. Wether we have camped with them or befriended them on this forum...

Not really a "sage" but, my wife and I have discovered that, for the most part, where ever you go in this country there are people who are not just friendly, but helpful, fun, and are genuinely glad to meet you.
One of the biggest surprises for me was when we took a two week trip to Pennsylvania with our fifth wheel back in 2011. Being from the south, you always hear of "southern hospitality". Heck, the people here in the south are rude compared to the people we met in Pennsylvania. Some of the friendliest people I've met. Even in downtown Philly when we went into town for a daytrip to see the Liberty Bell. Just goes to show that we shouldn't stereotype.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #25
Weekend Camper

Now we just need to show the rest of the world that we're not really the bad guys we're portrayed as.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:24 AM   #26
Full Time Camper

Lloyd
Don't want to get one of these...but curious about the car in your post...Year model...DIRT TRACK.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:48 AM   #27
Site Team

PM sent
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #28
Weekend Camper

Our favorite camping story -
Right after Y2K (2000) - we wanted to buy a used trailer to keep in the Florida Keys on Big Pine Key. Shopping the ads, we found a 1983 28' Corsair for 4000.00. We called the owner and he told us he had bought it and fully stocked including a generator to ride out the events of the New Year into 2000! Since nothing happened, he didn't have a use for it!

We bought it completely stocked with generator. Took it to the Keys and had it there until 2008 when Hurricane Georges came through and flooded it with over a foot of sea water. When we opened the door, water poured out of it! Anyway we towed it back to Tampa and it literally drained water the whole 6 hour drive!

Insurance of course, totaled it, we got 3000.00 for it, we bought back from the insurance company for 73.00. We let it dry out and since the furnace was the only mechanical damage, we removed that as the AC had heat strips for heat anyway.

We have a hunt camp in GA and towed it up there and still use it today. The frame is pretty much gone, but the roof never leaks and the floors are solid. Even has the original hot water tank and frig!

Got to love those old campers!

From tent camping to 2013 - Sunset Trail Reserve 32 Bunk House
Crobyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #29
Weekend Camper

I love the homemade camper. I also started tent camping as a kid. Then my parents bought an Apache from a plumber. The plumber had 3 kids, so he created a 3 decker cot out of pipes and canvas. There were 4 of us kids, so we had to have an additional cot.

My husband and I started our marriage camping in a tent for our honeymoon. We then bought a Coleman pop-up and since a 19 ft travel trailer, then a 26 ftt., another 26 ft with a slide-out and now a 28 ft. Cruiser 5th wheel. This may be our last because we absolutely love it.

Nothin' better than sitting around a campfire with friends, family or perfect strangers from the next campsite.
sllamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #30
Family Vacation Member

Great story.

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:04 AM   #31
New Camper

This thread has been going for a bit but I am new here and going to chime right in! My first camping was with my husband before we got married in the Allegheny National Forest in Pennsylvania. Very very rustic, digging our own latrines and bathing in a creek. Fast forward to kids and we found it was a cheap and flexible getaway. We always tent camped and had the kids out as young as six weeks. Needless to say all three of them have a wonderful appreciation for the outdoors! fast forward a few more years and they have all flown the coop so DH and I decided to buy a small hybrid TT to see if we would enjoy getting back out again. We absolutely did and 8 months later traded up on our current Sunset Trail. I work remotely and can set up my office wherever I can find wifi or cell service, so we are looking forward to some extended travels in the near future. Loved all your stories! I look forward to getting to know you all and sharing adventures.
Sharon Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #32
Family Vacation Member

Sharon, your story is similar to our story. We also have a Sunset Trail 26RB. Love it and wouldn't want to go back to tent camping.

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:11 AM   #33
Weekend Camper

Sharon,
Your mention of the Alleghany National Forest caught our attention, we live just northwest of the Park in N.Y. State, but I grew up directly north from the Park, also in N.Y. State. By the way, N.Y.'s Allegheny State Park, adjoins the National Park right along the State Lines. ASP is one of NY's nicest parks, and well worth your time! It was almost in my backyard growing up, so I may be a bit prejudiced!
We've been in, around, or through the National Park countless times, and often enjoy just "roaming around" the area on day trips. Although we've never camped there, we're thinking of staying in one of the campgrounds alongside Kinzu Lake this coming summer.