Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2013, 03:51 AM   #1
New Camper

Send a message via AIM to akinney
I have a 2012 35FK and have had problems with mice and recently squirrels getting inside the unit. I have filled all the entrance holes I could find,(around pipes and wiring), with steel wool and expanding foam. This past weekend I discovered a family of red squirrels nesting in the cavity under the shower stall. I bought a live trap and caught 5 young ones, the mother was not in the nest. I found a trail near the hot water heater and put more steel wool there. Has anyone else had these issues? I mentioned it to the dealer and they said "it happens". I think these units should be better sealed to prevent rodents from getting inside.
akinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:16 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Havent had a problem yet, but it sounds like you are doing the right thing with steel wool and foam...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:04 AM   #3
Site Team

You might have to remove the bottom cover on the rv to get to some of the holes, then fill like you did with steel wool and foam. Then reinstall the cover..I'm sure others have removed the cover and can give you more info on that procedure.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #4
New Camper

Ok, thanks for the replies. We have had a lot of rain lately, I will get under the trailer when it dries up a bit. Any info on removing and re-installing the bottom cover would be appreciated.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

There are mixed reviews but since I've started using FreshCab (look it up online) I've had ZERO problems with rodents. If the only made it for ants!!
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to denlor
These critters will get into any small open hole. We are camped with power and use a plug in rodent deterant which gives off a sound that they do not like and we have no problems but some neighbors do. They are available at any hardware store for 10-15 bucks but well worth it. We have had ours for 6 years.
Good Luck
Old 07-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Well, if what you describe are one of those things us humans can't hear but are supposed to keep mice out; I used them in an outdoor shed for the winter, one year. In spring, I found a mouse nest on top of it. Why? Because it was warm!!!
Old 07-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

X2 on Fresh Cab and it has a pleasant odor as well (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fresh%20cab%20rodent%20repellen)
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #9
New Camper

I put 4 of the electronic pest chasers in the trailer but I am not convinced they work, we will see. I just would like to see the factory seal these things better. When you build a house all the holes are sealed a trailer should be no different. These things are not cheap to buy and these critters can do a lot of damage.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to Showtime
I have a 2011 Hampton and have sealed every hole and they are still getting in somehow. I took every drawer , cabinet, cold air return , under the shower pan , inside the furnace, by the water heater , stuffed all with steel wool and either foamed, lap sealed , or eternobond taped over them. I think they are living in the insulated flooring and came with the trailer last year when we bought it used. I dont want to pull the bottom insulation out but that may be my next option.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
Site Team

Use RV antifreeze in the pail. Doesn't freeze and it won't kill your pets. You can set it up in the trailer when you're not there, and move it outside when you are. Probably won't get them all.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Have you tried setting off rodent bombs to drive them out.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Hey Lloyd I think they prefer "chunky style"
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:19 AM   #14
New Camper

I live trapped 5 young squirrels and set them free outside. Now 2 of them are getting in the underbelly through the holes in the frame for the slide adjustment rails. I wonder if I can stop them by spraying expanding foam around the holes or will this screw up the slides?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:36 AM   #15
Site Team

Your first mistake was turning them loose.
I don't think you should spray those holes in the frame where the slide rails go in and out with foam.
This is what I did.

That's "real heavy" sanding paper. I made it fit pretty close around the slide tube. Left the sand paper side out with the theory that rodents won't/don't like having to squeeze thru and get scraped.
So far I think it has worked.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:42 AM   #16
New Camper

I knew better than to set them free but I am getting soft in my old age. Thanks for the suggestion I will try the sandpaper.