Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2019, 07:26 AM   #1
New Camper

Angry Slide doesn't move.

Hello, thanks in advance for any help. I have a 2014 Hampton 400fl, and last fall the large slide made a very small amount movement, then wouldn't retract..
I have power at the switch, coming out of the switch, swapped the two slide switches out, finally had to crank it in for the winter.
My best guess is the motor is dead. I would like to have one on hand in the spring, since I only want to open the belly up one time..but, Crossroads, or any dealer can not provide me with what motor my be in my unit. I have found a possible replacement but it is only sold as a complete unit (motor & actuator).
Anybody have had this issue or plan of attack I should take??
2014 Hampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:37 AM   #2
Site Team

Hello and welcome from Mo.

Have you tried Etrailer ? You could shoot them a email or call. You probably have a Lippert slide so you can go to there website and download a manual. It tells how to troubleshoot the motor. Also you may have to open the underbelly to see what motor you need and to test yours then close it temporally till you get a replacement motor if its bad.

Good luck and keep us posted as to the fix. It may help others
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:14 PM   #3
RC3
Weekend Camper

Check the auto cercuit breaker. Mine corroded and needed replacing. It was a 40 amp relay. Costs about $20-$40, depending on where you purchase it.

Check here for what it looks like
https://www.wiringproducts.com/40-am...ght-angle.html
RC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:47 PM   #4
New Camper

I have power to the switch & power leaving the switch, so i believe the breaker is ok
Old 03-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

My trailer uses the batteries to power the slides. If they are not charged up pretty good that could be an issue. They might still have enough juiced to be read by a test light or a multi-meter but not enough to turn the motors over. So my advice (1) is to load check the batteries or take them to your nearest auto dealer and have them tested.

...also if you're getting juice to and out of the switch it's time to (2) check the power at the motor. If you're getting juice there (3) disconnect the slide mechanism and see if the motor turns. If the motor turns (4) check the slide mechanism and see if it is blocked (mud dobber nest, rock, stick, ....).

While you are under/over the slide you might also want to lubricate the slider mechanisms.
mdbeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:54 AM   #6
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbeck1 View Post
My trailer uses the batteries to power the slides. If they are not charged up pretty good that could be an issue. They might still have enough juiced to be read by a test light or a multi-meter but not enough to turn the motors over. So my advice (1) is to load check the batteries or take them to your nearest auto dealer and have them tested.

...also if you're getting juice to and out of the switch it's time to (2) check the power at the motor. If you're getting juice there (3) disconnect the slide mechanism and see if the motor turns. If the motor turns (4) check the slide mechanism and see if it is blocked (mud dobber nest, rock, stick, ....).

While you are under/over the slide you might also want to lubricate the slider mechanisms.
I don't believe it's a battery issue since the bedroom slide works perfectly. Just the large slide for the kitchen/living room is at issue.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:09 AM   #7
Site Team

The battery on our cruiser gets removed each winter and put in the shop so I can charge it ever so often. That said if the wife needs something from the camper we just plug it in and open the slides or slide as needed. So on ours you do not need a battery to run the slide.

As stated I would start at the switch check for power to it and when you push it check for power on the motor side. If you have power coming out you will have to drop or at least open a access flap to check for power to the motor. If you have power there try a wrench on the emergency cranking bolt or if yours has a cranking point that sticks thru the frame use that and turn the motor a little it may have a dead spot. This is the same way you would close the slide in a emergency.

If you have a Lippert slide go to there website and download the manual for it there is a trouble shooting section and also maintenance and adjustment instructions. The one I downloaded was the thru frame manual.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:53 PM   #8
New Camper

I had to crank it in last fall, motor still didn't run after that either.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #9
New Camper

Problem solved!! Loose wire nuts on the slide motor! Have to patch the hole in the belly, but small price to pay for shoddy workmanship at the factory,.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:41 PM   #10
Site Team

Thank you very much for reporting back!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote