Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Well after non-use for about month 1/2, I brought the trailer home in prep for weeks vacation and my A/C has a sound of off balance. I removed the cover and who motor is shaking with no loose brackets or loose bolts. Check the van with no damage. Motor shaft moves in/out only a little with no up/down movement.

Remind you it's a 2007.

Thoughts - Recommendations?

I'm going to contact my local dealership in hopes of having it looked out and in great hopes of saving my vacation plans. DW is not going without A/C. Ugh.

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Did you check for a dirt/mud dabber nest on one of the fan blades maybe...this would surely cause an unbalance condition. Is it just the fan motor?

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I did check the fan and the whole area was clean. A little grease on the fan shaft, but otherwise the whole area is clean. The motor is mounted with rubber grommets, but everything appears to be tight and correct. I don't know if the bearings inside the motor are going bad and causing the vibration. The shaft as I said will move in/out just a little, but not up/down. I put I little grease where the shaft goes in the motor with no changes.

It does continue to work, but had to chance a 5 day trip with a possible break down. We are headed to the beach where the a/c will be needed. No shade trees where we are going.

Williamsburg, VA

Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Keith, it sounds like you have checked it out pretty good. I would try and get it looked at before your next trip. I don't know how far away your dealer is but if you have a Camping World closer they are an authorized Dometic service center. We had our rear AC unit serviced under warranty by the CW about 35 miles from us. You might also want to look at adding a second AC unit to the bedroom if you don't already have one as it sure helps the main unit not have to work as hard on those hot days.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Well after giving it second look (in daylight) I have found that bolts holding the motor were loose. I also found the rubber grommets were dry rotted a little. I have tighted the bolts for my planned trip and will replace the grommets at a later date. This solved my rattle with the A/C for now. Thanks for your replies and assistance. Hunter11, you could be right and that 2nd A/C would help in those situation where one starts acting up. Otherwise, it works well. We don't have thos TX heat here in VA, but still need the A/C for comfort.

Off for another adventure. Be back soon.

Williamsburg, VA

Old 07-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Well just a follow-up again on the A/C. I thought I had fixed my problem when I had not completely fixed it. So after a trip to the shop, I found out "DANG MUD DABBERS".. however, they were on the inside of the motor fan and I could not have seen it without taking it apart. I assumed it was the outside fan blades I wanted to ensure were clean. Well it cost me 1 hour of labor from shop to fix, but I have to pickup on Saturday. I'm not happy and thanks Cobra909 for the suggestion, guess I should have followed up with you a little more on this issue.

Williamsburg, VA

Old 07-30-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Here is a strange one for you... Cut the A/C on and proceeded to clean the carpet with some spary foam carpet cleaner. After spraying the carpet as needed, I let it set for 15 min. The A/C did sound as if an alarm went off after spraying the foam down. Later I went out and the A/C had stopped. No power, nothing. Checked breakers, etc, etc, Everything looked correct. After a few choice words, I locked it up for the night. Next morning went out and everything worked as normal.. I was very happy, but still had a few choice words.

Anyone else?

Williamsburg, VA

Old 07-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Is yours on a thermostat or the remote control type AC unit?
Old 07-30-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

It is on a remote.

Williamsburg, VA

Old 07-31-2009, 01:01 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I would bet that is your issue. Both our units were remote and the one in the bedroom has worked fine but the main in the living area was trouble from day one. It would be working fine on AC then for no reason switch to heat. It would be running fine on AC then just beep a couple of times and shut off. After it sat a while it would come back on and run fine for a while. I took it to Camping World twice as they are a certified Dometic repair place and after the second time the tech told me it needed to be on a thermostat to fix the issue. After they took it off the remote and put it on a dual digital Dometic thermostat we have not had another issue. If the front one ever starts to go South it can be moved to the same thermostat for dual control.