Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a fifth wheel, it is used as a weekend retreat. I have it on a seasonal site near where I live. This past weekend I heard this horrific noise and come running out to find water (sewer) flying off my roof. My neighbor heard it as well and came over and after looking around, I saw where my underbelly was hanging down to the ground. My black tank had come loose from frame, I guess, and fallen on top of the underbelly (inside) creating a tear and the underbelly lining to bulge toward the ground. When this happened it shot sewer water up the odor vent to the top of roof and sewer water was coming out of vent, all over roof and down the front cap and sides. I quickly pulled my black tank handle to relieve pressure and this stopped the sewer water from shooting up the vent onto the roof. I quickly took the garden hose to the top of the roof and hosed it down along with the front cap and sides. My toilet inside was unharmed and no water damage inside the trailer. I can not see up inside the underbelly lining to see what damage there is, however, I do know that there is sewer water up under there. Even though there is a tear, I still can not tell. I can not for the life of me figure how this happened. My black tank was just dumped the previous week and I had only been there for one night since. My sensor was reading a third full. But even if it was full, it should take the weight. My dealer says he is so far behind...he's down to one service technician...that they would not be able to look at it for 3-4 weeks...my local mobile RV service, says he would not touch this problem, and I have called every dealer in the area, and they have refused to service it as well. I called Crossroads, and they have guaranteed that who ever does the work will be paid and parts covered...it is just a matter of finding who will work on it...I guess I will have to wait for the dealer. It is still under warranty, I have had this 5er less than a year. I am too far from the manufacturer and I do not have tow vehicle anymore. (I am sure it could not even be pulled until they can either remove the hanging tank and take it out completely) If it needs to be pulled in shop, I will have to pay dealer for tow service. I first need them to come out to diagnose the problem...it may be able to be fixed on site, I was told, but I do not know how they would be able to put a new all one piece underbelly back on at the campsite? One dealer told me they would not touch it until I cleaned up the underbelly above and emptied my black tank...He said I could jack up the tank and then take box cutter to slice the underbelly more and let the sewer water dump out to ground, and with jacking up the black tank it may realign with drain pipe to then finish emptying it by pulling the black tank handle???? I am so deflated that I wish I had not even bought the damn thing. There has been sooo much warranty work that has already been done to it. Has anyone had this happen?

Seasonal Site, Autumn Lakes Campground-Sunbury, Ohio

https://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...r/DSCF0342.jpg
krazed5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Barry, it sounds like you have a real mess on your hands and it sounds like it may get worse before it gets better. At least it sounds like CR will take care of the problem. I will be honest, we have been talking about selling our trailer after the first of the year. Seems like every trip we make we have 2 or3 problems that I have to try and fix. It was no big deal at first but now it is getting annoying. I have been pricing out some new trailers and we are going to see what the market looks like after the New Year. I hope you get everything taken care of and get your trailer back to normal soon.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I really like the lay out, but I am sooo deflated...this will be the 4th major thing wrong, not counting the 17 other minor things wrong that I have fixed myself (just since Sept. 2008). I have found a Newmar Torrey Pine 5er that is a 2009 that is really nice. I am thinking of trading...just be a bigger payment is all...I have wonderful communication with Shannon in warranty and Randy...I just think that the Paradise Pointe, along with their other products are just entry level products...I could be wrong...and I am certainly not in the bashing of business area. There are simply better products out there!.....any comments welcome

Old 07-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I am sorry, but after the money I have spent...I do not mind spending more on a high end 5er at this point...sorry, but the Seville will not do it....

Old 07-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I agree, they are mostly mid-level units and don't pretend to be full timing units, etc.

While not pleased with the axle issue (not CR's fault) and the creaking bedroom floor infront of the bed (that is their fault!) they seem to be a decent trailer for the money spent.

Let's face the facts, the Cruiser is up against a Jayco Superlite and Forest River Wildcat and the Seville's up against some mid-line products like the Sierra, Sandpiper, etc.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I have dealt with similar issues with sewage under homes. Call CR and explain that no one will attempt to do repairs until sewage is cleaned up. If they agree to paying for that service, then there are companies that will come out and clean it up for you. Granted, working on a RV is different than a home but they should still do the service. Once cleaned, then you can have an RV repair team make the repairs. As far a a new one-piece membrane underbelly you may not get that. It will probably be a large peice of fabric but not one-piece as it comes from the factory.

Sorry for your mishap. Good luck.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I'm not far from you, Let me know if you need ahand, I could tow it any where you like.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:25 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the offer...I am having the dealer picking it up. I think when it gets fixed I might be a little happier...just disapointed.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:49 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Could you imagine the mess if you had been towing it down the highway at 65 mph and the black tankfell out? You would have had some angry people behind you.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:41 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
Could you imagine the mess if you had been towing it down the highway at 65 mph and the black tankfell out? You would have had some angry people behind you.

I think that would of been funny to see, but not funnyif it would be me behind him!

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:17 AM   #11
New Camper

Sorry to hear about your problem. We have had several issues with our 2005 5th wheel as well - although a blackwater fountain is a new one. Seems like every trip something else needs fixing. And our dealer has a horrible service department. It's very painful. Even though I had the extended warranty, we started taking the unit somewhere else for repairs and paying, because it is just so painful. The Jayco we owned previously never gave us this kind of grief. Has anyone else been unpleasantly surprised?

The Hannah's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:36 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Many of us have completed 4-5K mile trips with very few issues and mishaps. I expect to have caulking issues after traversing the interstates of this country. The expansion joints on some bridges from here to the west are simply cone shattering.

The biggest issues with mine are minor compared to some previous trailers I have owned and Crossroads is quick to work with my dealer or me directly on anything.

You speak of Jayco - I owned one and while they are thought well by some there are many of us that had major issues with them. WHile Jayco is a standup company they sold me a leaking piece of crap 2005 model which I couldn't unload quick enough. I can't even list all the issues with it. I traded it to a 2007 with the dealers help and one the first trip noticed that many of the frame bolts were hand tight, cabinet's cracked ddue to body flex, the front leaked in driving rain and the wheel well's were unsealed resulting in water intrusion.

Our friends have a 2006 Jayflight with the dreaded TPO roof issue. This roofing had a felt backing that allowed water to wick under the roofing and rot the roof. The roof sags between every joist and tthe unit is out of warranty.

I will stick with Crossroads.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:27 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003
Dear Krazed, Compared to your incident the RV sewer scene in the movie RV with Robin Williams seems tame. Perhaps you could make some money by selling your story to a stand up comic or movie/TV producers. I would pay to see that. We've had some issues but nothing like yours.
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:04 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Dear friends,

It has been a while since I have written anything on here...like to fill you in on the incident that happened with my black water tank, as mentioned in my earlier post up above. Well, my dealer had nothing to offer, in fact anytime I have needed service, they have not cared. I will never talk to them again, and I have told this to Crossroads. Anyway, I finally got a local dealer to come out to campsite and secure the underneath for transport...($297.00)...I had this done because after I called Randy to tell him what had happened, I got a call back from him a week later saying they would be over (5hours away from Topeka) to my campsite in Sunbury, Ohio, to pick up unit and take back to their plant and fix the problem and return it and pay me back for the charge of $297.00 plus reimburse me for lost camping time...( it was a month I lost camping)I could not believe it...I was sooo pleased. EVERY TIME that I have had a warranty issue Crossroads (Shannon & Randy) have stepped up to the plate and have been so wonderful to get things done...this had been the second trip for my unit to be picked up from campground and taken back to the Crossroads factory and then returned at no charge to me. The first trip over, (they paid for) was last winter for a spider web like crackingin the gel-coat of fiberglass in rear end cap, plus some other issues. They did a great job with that as well...This time they replaced the black tank completly and added more brackets to hold it underneath for added strength. They also replaced vents and toilet flange, and under belly lining, as well as replacing bathroom faucet (leaked and knobs put on wrong), and replaced antenna crank mechanism (fell apart), mended carpet where sofa slide is, replaced rocker recliner, (arm broke) replaced bi-fold cover over stove, fixed vent fan, added more support for shelf where my RV batteries are located, etc...I was very pleased.

However...when I got her (5er)back and into the campsite finally...I went inside and noticed that someone had not secured my sliding pocket door during transport...it was off the track and broke (plastic part that holds wheels to slide back and forth on track, plus scratched). Once again called Randy and he appologized and right away sent me the new parts...But,I can not get the door off due to size of it vs. size of opening, without taking off header and a piece of wall board (I am not doing it)....and then I go to lift up the bi-fold cover of stove (burners) and the whole thing comes apart from counter in the back...(The holes drilled into counter to hold screws securing back end were drilled too big)...I have called the local dealer who came out before to secure my tank for transprt, and said he thinks he can fix the problems with out it being towed into his shop....I am hoping...I have let Randy know this as well and he says that once this all is fixed to pay the bill and send them a copy so I can get reimbursed for this as well. Can you believe this????

My neighbors at the campground do not think much of the products that Crossroads make, which is not fair. I tell them that I just must have gotten a lemon.

However, I will give them (Crossroads)very good credit for ALWAYS stepping up and getting my issues taken care of!

Old 10-29-2009, 12:42 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Barry, glad you got your issues taken care of. I hope this is the end of your troubles.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:14 AM   #16
Site Team

That is an incredible story of factory support!!!!!!!!!!
Hope that is the end of your trouble.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

They all have problems and it's very difficult when YOU are the one who gets the lemon. I had 2 Jayco's and BOTH had serious issues that I would consider outside of normal RV issues. I don't dislike Jayco becuase I see a hundred other people who have no issues and fantastic CS from the factory.

I guess this is similar, you've got a lemon and they are trying to do everything they can to help you out which is fantastic.

At the end of this I wouldn't blame you if you chose another brand. Just remember there are few companies that really take care of the customer after the sale in the price range Crossroads sells it's products at. If I buy another trailer it will be a Crossroads, Jayco or KZ product.

Based on hours of reading I wouldn't buy a Forest River, Keystone or similar that barely give a one year warranty. Good luck and I hope the pocket door is the end of your issues.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:10 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Remember, warranties are only as good as the company and the people who represent it are...sorry you had soo much trouble, but it also soundslike CrossRoads and Randy and others really followed thru.....good luck in the future...anyway, what else could go wrong?, right?!...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

Hello,
Well once again Crossroads has stepped up to the plate and came through with parts that were needed for 5er...I tell you that Randy is something else, he deserves a medal! I think (I hope and pray) my kinks are now all worked out). There really is no better service from a manufacturer than Crossroads....I know I am biased, hell I have not had any dealings with other rv manufacturers...I am sure there are some as good.Thanks Randy and thanks Crossroads!

Barry

Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

Yes I agree about this I have to say thank you to Randy and Crossroads for fixing my bedroom slide. NOt sure why the job was not done rightthe first time by the dealer. I also feel we have alemon. My old trailer-- Chateau by Thor never had the wheels nearlyfall offand it was 10yrs old. I still have a hard time understand the problem with the wheels and rockers/shocks. But I do agree with another poster, that the dealer makes all the difference, when getting things done, If they don't give a hoot, then nothing gets done right .My large slide is leaning out, when sitting on a chair you feel like you are falling towards the window, my dealer says he seeing nothing wrong with it. So I give up.
cgaucho1981 is offline   Reply With Quote