Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

We are getting ready to leave on our first camping trip with our CK30 and I wanted to get the fridge cooled down today so we can pack it tomorrow. It won't seem to cool while I'm plugged in at home. The light is on, I've read the manual. I switched it to gas and the pilot lights but it still does not get cool. The pilot just stays on and never any other flame. We checked the fuses and made sure there was 120V at the plug.

Any suggestions?

Hot water tank heats and stove works so I know the propane tanks are full.

SpaceCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Is the trailer level? The Fridge will not work unlesss it is level.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

How exact does it need to be? Front to back it is very level. Side to side it's about 1/2" lower on one side.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Inside the frige there may be a red lever that clips in the fins inside . Make sure this is clipped on or refrigerator will not work. This controlles temp.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I see there is a plastic clip on the last fin and there is a thermistor wire coming in but it's not attached to that clip. It's just hanging in there and against the upper shelf. Could that be all that it is? How long will it take to get cold? Will it make any noise when it's cooling? If it's running on LP, is there more than just that little pilot, will it make a bigger flame like the hot water tank?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

The thermistor needs to be in the back of the clip with about 1/4" to 1/2" stick out the top of it. It will take several hours for the fridge part to get cold, the freezer will take less time.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

All you will see running on propane is a pilot light size flame.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:31 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
All you will see running on propane is a pilot light size flame.
X2 when the Fridge is at temperature there will be no flame. The new ones do not have a pilot light. As for level front to back the trailer can be up to about 3 inches and you will be OK. Side to side is not as critical and you canstill be up to 3 inches. My fridge is usally near temperature in 4 hours. I was thinking that the fridge should have over cooled with the thermister not connected to the coils. Open the fridge cover outside of the trailer and check for a yellow material around the cooling coils. If you find any the fridge is toast. Look up and see if there is anything blocking air flow up and out the top of the coils.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCase
How exact does it need to be? Front to back it is very level. Side to side it's about 1/2" lower on one side.
I was looking at the picture you have with your posting. It looks like the trailer in the picture is at least 6 inches nose high. Hard to tell for sure as the trailer axles may be in a low spot. As show the fridge probably would not work. I would also be concerned about the spare tire on the trailer. Out here in the westit would probably drag in many of our forest service campgrounds. Watch the tires on the rear axle as they may be near their load capacity with the nose high condition. Also the rear axle. The lippert axles can not take any overload. I had one fail that was only about 75% loaded.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

If you don't have adequate DC power to the frig I don't think it will operate properly.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

The truck sits lower now than it did in that pic. It's still a little nose high but not that much. It's sitting off the truck and level and the fridge is cold. We didn't hear any noise at all and figured it wasn't running. Read that on in a book I have that it's not a pilot but the actual burner flame and it silent in operation. Phew. Crisis averted considering we leave in the morning. Thank you all for the posts. Also regarding the truck height, we're looking to sell the truck in the spring because I want to purchase an F650.