Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2010, 03:20 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

We were tent campers (read backpacking tents) for 25+ years before buying our first trailer in 1993. Haven't stayed in a tent since then. I have always missed certain aspects of being in a tent, but I always knew it was nostalgic longing rather than a desire to relive the old days. We gave our "new" tent to our youngest daughter this year since she wore out the original backpacking tent that started us on our camping journey.

We put our Sunset Trail on a season lease site this year. Great site, good location and really enjoying the experience. But the site is very difficult to get our trailer in and out of. Enough so I've lost all interest in moving it unless absolutely necessary. I have two trees in exactly the wrong location for backing in.

Our annual family reunion camping trip is this weekend. It's actually close enough to home that we could do day trips to enjoy the good times. However, this was my youngest daughter's first year planning the trip. She might understand if we did day trips, but she would be crushed if we didn't actually camp. I looked into renting a motor home. Way out of my budget for two nights of camping. Never did find a trailer for a reasonable fee. My sister didn't take the bait to have us stay with her in their trailer. No interest in staying in a pop up (long story for another thread). So out I went and bought a tent.

So for the next two nights I'll be reliving the tent camping dream. Weather forecasts have changed from hot and humid with a chance of rain at the beginning of the week to highs of around 80, lows around 60 and dry as of this morning. I wonder if it will be any easier to get up off the ground and out the door in the morning?

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:05 AM   #2
Site Team

You are a glutton for punishment Al!!!!!!!!!!!
Better you then me tho. I would never go that route anymore.
Good Luck.

Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:44 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Hi Al, I hope you have a good mattress to throw into the tent, that will make all the difference in the world. I don't think I could sleep on the ground any more unless it was on a good air mattress or maybe a nice pillow top

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

He He. Just started packing. Had to buy a sleeping pad as I had given the kids our deluxe Therm-a-rests. Had kept the original therm-a-rest just in case I ever went backpacking again. Skinny little thing.

I've learned that no matter what you camp in, attitude and flexibility are everything.

On our West Virginia trip we came back to the bottom of the trailer filled with water at the campground. Cost us a day for the repairs to be done, but we discovered what a wonderful company Crossroads is to work with and have a new friend in the mobile repair guy who came out to visit us. Had a wonderful trip and great stories to tell.

There was the ill fated Chicago tenting experience before we switched to backpacking tents. First the 9x12 canvas tent flooded. But we stayed a a Holidome (for those of you old enough to know what those are). My three year old talked to a parrot named Alfie for hours on end. They each had about the same vocabulary. Then we decided to spend one more night in Indiana before returning home. Bad idea. Several spiders must have gotten into my wife's sleeping bag. The next morning she was bit from head to toe Didn't think I would ever get her to go camping again, tenting or otherwise. Again, great stories now.

Then last year on my grouse hunting trip my trailer caught on fire. More alarming then it sounds as there really was no damage to the trailer. I also ran out of propane in the middle of a sub 20 degree night. Priceless. The dog and I had a great time anyway.

I admit I'd rather stay in the trailer, but I'll survive our two nights in a tent. Now I have a tent for the grandchildren to stay in at our season lease site. In the end, it all works out.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 08-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I end up sleeping in the tent a couple of times a year. Sometimes its just in the back yard with my sons.A little comraderie for us guys...

But sometimes it is on a weekend in the woods with a few of my buddies when we want to get away, have a campfire, play a little late night poker, etc. Some of the places in the NF it is just too difficult to get the trailer into.All it takes is a night or two waking up on a deflated air mattress at 2:00am to make me appreciate the trailer all the more.

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I have actually been thinking about doing a weekend of tent camping just so the kids can experience real camping. My wife and I (before kids), would hook up the boat, throw the tent and coolers in the truck and be gone for the weekend. Once the kids came along it was pop-up, travel trailer and now 5th wheel. The kids have never camped in a tent with no A/C, bathroom or satellite tv. My daughter (6) is all for it but my son (13) and my wife are not as excited about the idea. I will have to admit that air matresses will be included, I don't think I can take just a sleeping bag on the ground after havingthe comfy matress of the 5th wheel.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Good news! We survived the weekend .

Tent was remarkably easy to erect. Weather was delightful and great for tent camping. Sleeping pads were comfy enough. But the first night in the state park campground was noisy. There was enough commotion that I got very little sleep. Unlike the trailer which blocks out noise sound goes right through nylon tent fabric. But last night was QUIET. Slept like a log.

It will be nice to get back to our trailer, but tenting was actually great fun.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL