Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #41
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
ordered by his wife to ream me
Wives/women like that can get their husbands into predicaments with very severe consequences.

I have worked with my big guys to make them gentle and docile so that I have no worries about other people's dogs, children, even them.

We play and express affection to them with my/our faces in their faces, arms around their neck, laying on top of them, everything that I can think of that a child would do so that they don't feel threatened.

A couple years ago we had a little girl come running into our area. Her parents had a horrified look on their faces until Blake and Otto simply licked her face and let her wrap her arms around their necks. They came and visited with us.

But I am sure that if someone was being aggressive towards their daddy, that they would take some exception to it. Otto has chased the Goodyear blimp away from our property !

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #42
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
our little Yorkie had a bit of a barking fit at some other dogs in the area. (It only lasted for four or five minutes, tops.)
Mike, This is NOT what I would have a problem with. It's the campers who put the dog out and then just let it do it's thing. I think any dog owner would be patient for 4 or 5 minutes, especially when it's obvious you're trying to set up or tear down. Peace!
Old 10-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #43
Full Time Camper

People are funny. I was "addressed" by a lady because my 2 girls (Porties) barked at her cat. It was outside on a 15 to 20 foot leash 2 or 3 feet into the road. My girls wanted to chase it. Ya Think!!!!!!!!!!!
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #44
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by socoguy View Post
People are funny. I was "addressed" by a lady because my 2 girls (Porties) barked at her cat. It was outside on a 15 to 20 foot leash 2 or 3 feet into the road. My girls wanted to chase it. Ya Think!!!!!!!!!!!
A dog is uncontrollably preprogrammed to chase a cat. There is nothing you or they can do to take away that built in desire, lol. It is like a cartoon here at the house. The Yorkie will take off chasing the cat. The cat will run, and then realize she is as big as the Yorkie and then chase the Yorkie. It's never ending entertainment.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #45
Full Time Camper

Needless Tragedy

Tragedy:
My wife was walking our little dog on NPS property when they were attacked by a NPS employee’s once feral dog. Other campers had to rush to the rescue and put themselves between the attacking dog and my injured wife and mangled dog. It was a nightmare 1.5 hour drive to the nearest veterinarian. We dropped the dog off with veterinarian that we never had met and an employee guided us to the local Hospital Emergency Care to care for the several bits that my wife had received. Our dog would have to stay at the veterinarian clinic as she required 100s of stitches and possible surgery. There were several return trips to this wonderful veterinarian.

Aftermath that may never truly end:
• An extensive NPS investigation.
• Several NPS interviews.
• NPS initiated Law Suit (for their protection).
• Lawyer of our own.
• A wife with PTSD.
• The end of our canine’s calm and submissive behavior.
• Our dog never fully recovered but sure was a trooper.
• Attacking dog permanently removed from the NPS property.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:36 PM   #46
Gone Traveling

Sorry to hear about the attack on both!
We've witnessed this a couple times from people's "well behaved" little darlings that they didn't have to obey the leash rules.
I may be a cruel hearted SOB, but that dog would've been dropped right then & there with the sheriff's deputy called & owner arrested.
If you must haul your pet everywhere you go it should ALWAYS be on a leash when outdoors, not the retracting kind, a short sturdy one wrapped around your wrist so it's easily controlled (meaning NO barking also) near you whether you have a Yorkie or a St Bernard.
I like dogs as much as anyone, but it's a pet, not my child, DW & I ARE NOT mommy & daddy, we do not have granddogs & unless it's a visibly licensed/registered service dog it ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT go into ANY place selling or serving food, or any other place of business! The whole idea of "comfort" dogs are a joke, just a good excuse to take "your pet" everywhere.
Ok, bring on my scolding, but it won't change my opinion....
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:25 PM   #47
Full Time Camper

If you must haul your pet everywhere you go it should ALWAYS be on a leash when outdoors, not the retracting kind, a short sturdy one wrapped around your wrist so it's easily controlled (meaning NO barking also) near you whether you have a Yorkie or a St Bernard.
The whole idea of "comfort" dogs are a joke, just a good excuse to take "your pet" everywhere.
Ok, bring on my scolding, but it won't change my opinion....[/QUOTE]

This attack happened a few years back but I must agree that the rules should be followed. If they had been followed this attack would not have happened.

Two years back we were so frustrated with unleashed dogs and dog crap every where that we arranged a meeting with NPS law enforcement. I was very upset with two dogs chasing deer through the camp area and later a dog attempting to chase a bison in the meadow. Fliers were distributed and patrols started. Soon people got the idea.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:48 AM   #48
Site Team

[QUOTE=travelin texans;139980]
I may be a cruel hearted SOB, but that dog would've been dropped right then & there with the sheriff's deputy called & owner arrested.

Curious as to how you would have dropped that dog right there?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:20 PM   #49
Gone Traveling

[QUOTE=Lloyd;139983]
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post

Curious as to how you would have dropped that dog right there?
Anyway with anything handy!
I know you were expecting me to break the rules & mention a weapon, sorry to disappoint, but don't have one...
Some years ago while working in the yard I spotted a loose dog growling/snarling headed for our neighbors young son, it changed it's mind quickly with a good swing of the shovel I had in my hand, it went the other direction wimpering, never saw it again.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #50
Site Team

TT, hard to believe a Texan does not have one.

Neither do I.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #51
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
TT, hard to believe a Texan does not have one.

Neither do I.
Ain't it!!
I'm 66 years old & never had a need!
Now back to the barking dogs...
Old 10-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #52
Seasonal Camper

When I'm setting up the first thing I do is put up her chair so she stays quite.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:06 AM   #53
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcook View Post
I am glad to see other folks camp with Dobermans. Ours are a cross between a Doberman and a Rhodesian Ridgeback. I take them and introduce them to the neighbors so they see they are big friendly guys and nothing to be afraid of if they happen to get loose.

Once most folks see that they are simply happy to see them, you see the folks relax then they start petting and talking to them.

People have been conditioned by television to think black and tan is an indication of a mean dog.

Blake and Otto weigh 125 lbs each. I looked for years for the appropriate cross breed. When I was younger, I helped train attack dogs and did obediance training. These I worked with to be good with other dogs and kids. They won't let a stranger enter the house without being invited in, but they don't get after folks either.

Here is one of our dogs with his pet cat, or it is are cat with her pet dog

Wow! Really awesome....
josaflenya is offline   Reply With Quote