Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

A buddy bought a new Ford with the factory installed rails under the bed. The 2013 Dodge is also coming out with the same thing. My buddy had to buy a new hitch to connect to these rails because the traditional hitch would not connect to the rails. Does anyone know if they make some type of adapters to put on your hitch to work with the new factory rails or is your only option to buy a new hitch?

I checked with the Dodge dealership today and to add the 5th wheel package is $400.00 dollars which doesn't seem horrible to me because it also comes with a camera by your rear brake light showing your bed, but if you have to buy a new $700 to $1000 dollar hitch its not worth it to me.

Safe Travels

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Does 5th wheel package include other things, like heavier springs? Seems to me factory rails wouldn't be worth it and may limit hitch options, too.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis
Does 5th wheel package include other things, like heavier springs? Seems to me factory rails wouldn't be worth it and may limit hitch options, too.
Not sure if he gives you heavier springs, but I do think it gives you a bigger alternator and it also gives you the option to pull a gooseneck.

2015stats:
Old 01-19-2013, 01:31 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Hensley makes an adaptor to fit the Ford, don't know if it'll fit the Dodge. You might check with them.

Stan

1994 GMC SLE EC PU DRW 454 4:10 Posi

Hensley BD3 Prodigy

Trailair rotoflex pinbox and equaflex with wet bolts

2010 Cruiser CTX CF26RKX

Semper Fidelis '53-'61
nrausa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:34 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrausa
Hensley makes an adaptor to fit the Ford, don't know if it'll fit the Dodge. You might check with them.

Stan
Stan,

Thanks for the info even though my buddy already bought a new hitch I still passed on the info. That plate is still pricey, but I think he paid $1000.00 dollars for his new hitch so it still would of saved him.

I think the Dodge will have the same set up so I bet those will work with the Dodge also. I checked, it will cost me $300.00 dollars to switch my rails over if I don't get the under bed rails which I don't think I will, but if I do I think I would do this option instead of buying a new hitch

Thanks again and safe travels.
Chris

Edited by: longhauler

2015stats:
Old 01-19-2013, 02:38 AM   #6
Site Team

I just bought a new Ford. Never thought to check on what Ford had to offer as far as a hitch. I guess I had my mind set on a new Reese. I got the hitch, brackets, and the rails for under $1000.
Everything was pre drilled on the frame, so it bolted right on.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:15 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I think the new ford is a reese set up. The Reese hitch is cheaper then the ford hitch.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I have this set up in my f-250 2011,it also comes set up for a goose neck also.Heavier springs come with camper special pkg.Hitch is the reese elite slider fits into slots turn handles 90 degrees and it is in.The hitch is heavy and I use front end loader to put in take out but two guys could lift it in.Once in the bed I can move it into position myself.
The most important thing to me is no rails in the bed and when hitch is removed I replace the plugs and have flat factory bed again.

2011 250 super duty

2012 Cruiser 305

https://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/...h_89f92fae.jpg
Livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire
I have this set up in my f-250 2011,it also comes set up for a goose neck also.Heavier springs come with camper special pkg.Hitch is the reese elite slider fits into slots turn handles 90 degrees and it is in.The hitch is heavy and I use front end loader to put in take out but two guys could lift it in.Once in the bed I can move it into position myself.
The most important thing to me is no rails in the bed and when hitch is removed I replace the plugs and have flat factory bed again.
X2. I have the underbed fifth wheel mounts in my 2011. Installed myself because the truck was not originally ordered with it and put in the Reese Elite 18k slider. Great hitch and no bed rails makes me happy, happy, happy!! Fords setup is Reese Elite. I use an engine hoist to drop the hitch in the bed and then move it by hand but I could also use my FEL. Engine hoist is easier to maneuver in the shop. On the F350 you don't need heavier springs...they are set up to tow. I do have air bags in my truck because I have a leveling kit and don't like the headlights blinding everybody. The airbags nicely level your truck when pulling a heavy 5er.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote