Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Was driving home from work tonight and was passed going the other way by a Cedar Creek 5er. They obviously didn't do a departure walk around. Their door steps were still out. Hope they don't do a turn too tight orpull into a tight spot, could cause some damage.

I am surprised sometimes at how manyTT's and 5ers I see on the road with windows orvents open,or TV antennas still up. Once saw an electrical cord dragging along behind a TT, no plug left on the end.

I always do a walk around before pulling out even when just stopping at a rest area for a break or to grab a beverage out of the fridge. Tho, I once went about 10 miles down the road with my slider hitch in the back position..Edited by: shoetravel

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I do a walk around every time I stop. That being said I like to leave my doo grab handel out.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

same here, although i did not look up one time....yup, you guessed it, the antenna was up.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I walk around checking everything, load the kids in the truck, and do one more walk around just in case the kids helped get ready. Once I was driving off and found the emergency exit window over the 5th wheel flying in the air due to a kid opening it up for me. Noticed it before any damage though.

martinstwopopfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Have to agree, a quick walk around can save you from a lot of trouble. But on a good note, RVers are not the worst. We used to go to the boat ramp at the lake and watch people load and unload their boats. Talk about quality entertainment!!!
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:15 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I always do the walk and look,,,,, When I don't is the only time something is still open dang it.

Scott, That is one our favorite pass times when camping , Taking a lawn chair to the boat ramp and watching all that goes on. A lot of times we tell people we are divorce lawyers looking for work lol.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:02 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I walk around several times. ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE IS A DISTRACTION WHICH AFFECTS MY CONCENTRATION! I must check the hitch 3-4 times.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I live next door to a state boat launch, it's great entertainment.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Check, double check and then check again, still miss something once in a while. Fortunately no major hickups so far.
**Mason-Dixon Bunch**
CruiserJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I walk around the unit three times, than around one more times for the other stuff I left like surge protector those little water spliters that I now buy by the dozen. the Bal Chocks water hose. than when we check out at the ranger shed one more walk about

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I try to establish a routine. Do the same things in the same order every time. which includes double checking. Sometimes when distractions arise, I start over.
At first, I used to have a list of things to do attached on the inside of the baggage door. I've done it enough now, that I don't need the list anymore.

With the dog, we stop at least every 2 hours or better. At this time I check the wheels and wheel nuts-just by hand and the lights (4-ways).

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

I do two walk around. Walk around just before leaving site and go to entrance of park and stop do another walk around with 4-way flashers on. be sure to check all lites.

beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Frank,

I have a couple of extra of those Y water splitters that I have picked up along the way from previous site occupants that left them behind. Also have4 or5 of the brass water pressure attachments that I have collected.

Last year,I was all set up at the CG and my brother pulled into the site next to me. Hewas setting up and I heard him start cussin' that he must have left his water pressure regulator behind his last time out. I tossed him one of my spares and told him there were more out there like him.

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

It is just those little dog gone spliters, I even got a case of 12 that are bright yellow and will still forget them. Even though Janet and I ialk about it with in minutes before

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

More good 'stuff'! Saw a motorhome on the road the other day, storage bin door swingin' in the wind!

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #16
Seasonal Camper

I did not secure my television once, and had it bang around over some rough roads for 5 hours. I was actually surprised it still worked. Till it got stolen.
We need to make sure the fridge doors are latched. A couple times we have forgotten and go in to find food strewn about. Luckily no big messes yet.

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampers
I try to establish a routine. Do the same things in the same order every time. which includes double checking. Sometimes when distractions arise, I start over.
At first, I used to have a list of things to do attached on the inside of the baggage door. I've done it enough now, that I don't need the list anymore.

With the dog, we stop at least every 2 hours or better. At this time I check the wheels and wheel nuts-just by hand and the lights (4-ways).

We found out the list only works if you use it! I made a list for set up and take down for DH the other week. DH does outside takedown (TV antenna is on his list). He forgot to use the list and yup you guessed it, he left the antenna up! luckily a very nice man told us as we were pulling out so we got it down w/o a problem. THat could have gotten ugly.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

my list was on the luggage door where I store wheel chocks, blocks and cords so I seen it every time I packed something away. I also started with the list when we got our first camper because I was so scared of forgetting something.
Another camper seen it once and said "I don't need a list, I've been camping for years!" He drove away with his antenna up too!

DW never used her list either. She did the inside and I did the out..... when we got home I usually found the water pump and/or the hot water on
'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to Woody Send a message via MSN to Woody Send a message via Yahoo to Woody
I few years ago when leaving a campground somewhere

in TN a sign was posted at the departure to check

your antenna, etc. the last item was of course the

most important? "did you leave your wife".

2006 Cruiser CF29RE (sold)

1996 F350 PSD Dully (sold)

Honda 2000i (2)
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

We use a check list. My wife reads off each item and does not go on until I acknowledge the complete of each action. Works very well.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote