Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I was looking at the new Yamaha 2000 and Honda has updated their 2000?? The Honda has a 30 amp three prong outlet now with the regular 110 outlet?
Has anyone used either of these new models??
thanks,

Old 09-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

I was evaluating this issue several months ago before we took our trip to Alaska. I think it depends on what you want to power with your generator. If you want to run the lights, refrigerator, TV etc, you could easily get away with a 1000 watt unit either Honda or Yamaha. But, if you want to operate your microwave or AC, then you are going to need to go in one of two routes. The 2000 watt units are bearly enough at sealevel and if you have any altitude at all they will be insufficient. (I am told they loose 15% of their power per 1000 feet in elivation.) Therefore, you will either need to get another 2000 watt unit and hook it in tandem which both Honda and Yamaha can do OR you can get the Yamaha 2400is unit which can handle a 13,500 BTU AC or microwave without any problem.
I went the Yamaha 2400is route because I did not want to have to deal with the maintenance etc. with two units. The Yamaha 2400is is alittle heavier (70 pounds) but was not moved to hook my power cord to when needed. I hope this helped.

The question I have for the forum is whether the Yamaha 2400is unit will power a 15,000 BTU AC.
NC Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:51 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I have two Honda 2000s thatI run together. I did have to buy a Genpak (i think that's the brand) parallel kit in order to do this. From what I understand the new Honda with the 30 amp recptacle is set up to runparallel with another unit with out the additional kit, which would be more convienent. Ihave been very happy with theHondas. I can run anything but the AC on one generator if I want to but generally run them in parallel as it puts much less strain on them. The maintenance on them is a breeze.

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
Site Team

We have the Yamaha 2400is. It runs our 13500 a/c. I'm not positive, but I think it will run the 15000. I believe it puts out 16.7 amps.
I got it here-----
http://www.wisesales.com/YamahaGenNEW.html
Give them a call and ask, they are pretty nice people to deal with.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote