Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

I hate carpet!

Just venting here.

I clean the carpeting in our trailer twice a year, once in the fall and again in the spring after a winter in Florida. I use a Bissell Little Green Machine.

I just finished doing part of the carpet (have to move the furniture to do the rest) for the second time. The water coming back into the machine is still black!

We had all the carpeting in our house removed several years ago and replaced with hardwood. With the slides in the trailer, I think replacing carpet with something else might be a bit difficult. I noticed at the RV show in Tampa in January that the manufacturers are starting to get it and there is less carpeting installed now in RVs.

In the meantime I clean the carpets and gripe!

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
Site Team

That is why we leave our shoes outside.
After a person gets use to it, -- it just becomes habit.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

We tried that at first, then it became more and more difficult as we went in and out a lot and had people in. If the shoes are wet, they get taken off, but if they are dry, we don't fuss about it. Besides, I cannot control what happens when I am not there.

I am considering a few scatter rugs in front of the couch and recliners as those areas seem to be the worst. Scatter rugs can easily be washed in the washing machine. I have them at the door.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #4
Site Team

I love having the carpet. I think your little green machine is not up to the job. I use a full size Bissel and it has not been a problem pulling the dirt out. We do have entryway mats and mats outside the door. We do take our shoes off but not always. Flip flops are usually the shoe of preference, at least in the warm weather.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I think SeeBee at oone time removed his carpet and replaced it with with a laminate
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

yes, I removed the carpet in the living area, but did not remove the carpet in the slide area of my CF29RK. I installed a floating laminate wood floor with an underlayment pad. I usede 1/4 round attached to the wall, etc., to hide the edges. To keep the slide from marking the laminate, I installed 3 six inch pieces of velcro under the slide carpet, along the edge of the floor. Then, when ready to put the slide in for traveling, I had 3 pieces of carpet, which I attached to the velcro, for the slide to run in on....one at each end of the slide and one in the middle.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:18 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Thanks, seabee. Was it a huge job? Do you have to be super handy to do it?

Old 05-02-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

How much carpeting do you have? We only have carpeting on the slides. Under the dinette is where it gets touched the most. I also make everyone remove their shoes. My wife has three carpet runners going through the middle for the heavy traffic.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:08 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Pictures are worth a thousand words.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-01-16 (2).jpg (231.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-01-16 (4).jpg (168.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-01-16 (8).jpg (178.2 KB, 17 views)

Old 05-03-2015, 06:12 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Loneoak, I helped a friend, who is in the home remodeling business do the floor.
it is a moderately easy job, if you are the "handyman" type.
We also put the laminate over the vinyl in the kitchen area.
PLEASE NOTE...check the thickness of the laminate, if you decide to go this route.
remember, the slide must be able to run over it.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:49 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

It's the slides I worry about. My husband is somewhat handy, but he has his limitations (we all do). I think replacing a floor like this is one of them. Trouble is, he does not like paying someone else to do the job.

Although replacing the floor sounds great, somehow I don't see it happening. I will try the scatter rugs or a runner for now in the areas that get the most use. Thanks for the tips, however!

By the way, I don't believe in laminate flooring in a kitchen area. I have seen too many wavy laminate floors in peoples' kitchens in my previous life as a real estate appraiser (current life is retired). They do not stand up well to liquids being spilled on them. If I was going to replace the floors in the trailer with anything, it would be some kind of vinyl.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Wow! You do have a lot of carpet. Please vent away. There is no reason for that, we are camping. We stay in the woods, parks and beaches. Places that you naturally track in dirt.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

On my '04 Cruiser I replaced the living room carpet with vinyl flooring, but left the slides carpeted. I used a Tarkett type that goes by the technical name Fiberflor but has many different styles, colors and showroom names. It is a non-adhesive vinyl floor and I'm sure there are other brands that are also non-adhesive. So, basically it is also a floating floor, but immune to water. Also because it doesn't need adhesive it is engineered different that less expensive vinyl flooring, it does not curl, shrink, stretch or distort.

When I was doing the install, I did a rough pattern and did an oversized cut of the sheet vinyl on the garage floor, rolled it up, carried it into the trailer and rolled it out. This could be done multiple times to get a tight fit. Then with a 1/8 inch thick aluminum bar as a spacer against the walls and other vertical surfaces, I trimmed it to create a clean 1/8 inch gap. I used a matching color silicone caulk to fill this gap and it served as my 'trim molding'. This caulk and the furnace vents were the only things securing the flooring in place. Since this vinyl flooring was about 1/8 inch thick, which is thinner than laminate flooring, the slide cleared it w/o problems.

Send me a PM if you want to see some pics of the finished install.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:21 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Sometimes carpet cleaners leaves a residue in the carpet. That residue can be a dirt magnet. You probably would have better luck just cleaning with water only.

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

I did not know that.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #16
Site Team

I use a mixture of Oxy Clean in the steamer. Never have a residue problem. In between, we vac with a Shark Rotator.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
By the way, I don't believe in laminate flooring in a kitchen area. I have seen too many wavy laminate floors in peoples' kitchens in my previous life as a real estate appraiser (current life is retired). They do not stand up well to liquids being spilled on them. If I was going to replace the floors in the trailer with anything, it would be some kind of vinyl.
I have laminate throughout my house. I disagree with this. Water will bead on top. It does need to be soaked up asap. Problem is getting water underneath it. I do agree that vinyl would probably be best in in TT. I have tiled two houses and laminated the last two. I hate carpet.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Because laminate floors are not continuous, water can get in between the pieces. Vinyl or ceramic is best for kitchens and bathrooms. My opinion is that laminate is best in recreation rooms or playrooms.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:01 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

wife used a vacuum and swiffer to clean the laminate in our cruiser.
as for water in the kitchen area...if water splashed onto floor, clean it up NOW.
had it for 2 ye
ars and had no issues with it. Wife loved it.