Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Drove 5 hours west to east across lower Michigan to get to my campsite. Hooking up the water filter I see it leaks like a sieve. Take it apart and discover I need a new O ring. Every time I've tried to hook up cable TV I rediscover that the connections are on the opposite end of the trailer from where the hook up is. Now my 25 foot cord is too short and discover I need a longer one. Look at the sewer connections that will be required and find that I'm about 5' short in total sewer hose length (two hoses).

Sidebar to Crossroads: Swap the location of the sewer dump valves and the cable/sat & phone hook ups. This would put them in close proximity to where they are actually located on camp sites.

OK, so I go to this little town which has both an Ace Hardware and a Do-It hardware. Find a 100' coaxial cable which ought to permanently solve my cable hook up issues. Amazing, find an O ring just the right size. No sewer lines at either store. Decide I really don't want to cook tonight and ask where the best pizza is. G's. Great, I go to G's, order a pizza to take back to camp and go out to the truck to call my wife. Get in the truck and I get a call. It's the KOA where I'm staying. They inform me trailer is on fire and they suggest I come back immediately. I go in and cancel my take out order and leave to go back to the campground.

Arrive at the campground, go immediately to my trailer. Hmmm. No fire trucks, no smoke and no crowd. Open it up, go in and no smoke, everything seems fine. Then the staff stops by to see if everything is ok. Go out with them to the back of the trailer and there is black soot above the vent for the hot water heater. Seems that is what was on fire, but they had turned off the propane which put out the fire. It must have been hot as the gel coat seems soft above the vent, but opening it up sure doesn't look bad. OK, so not hot water. I can live with that for a week. Inconvenient, but much less so than the remains of a burned trailer.

Turn off the hot water heater switch and turn the propane back on. It will be below freezing to night. Ask the KOA staff to call G's and reorder my pizza for me. Take the time to hook up the cable, take the dog for a walk and return to make certain no new surprises. There are none and I go to town to pick up my pizza. Nope, KOA did not call to reorder my pizza. I reorder. Return with the pizza, trailer is fine. Unfortunately the best pizza in the area is some of the worse pizza I've every had.

OK, I'm going to sit down and have several adult beverages now. Hope your day was better than mine.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

And they call this relaxing!!

Have: 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2006 GMC Yukon Denali
croberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

when I had my cruiser I had the same hot water problem you probably had a spider web in the burn tube it makes the flame back up, if you look in the front you will see a small wire, it's bent at 90 degrees and it's got snap in clips at bith ends, you can get the replacement at any RV store, that will fix your problem, it's made to do what it did. cuts the propane supply off, but it's a pretty easy fix....as far as beverage get a bottle of B&B some ice and relax......guarenteed to work........worlds best stress relief....after about 3 you won't even care........I always carry a bottle in mine...

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

B&B and ice sounds nice (even at this early hour!), but made do with Aberlour scotch. Did the trick just fine.

I'll take a look today after it warms up. My water hose is currently frozen and highs in the 40s are expected. The campground made it sound like someone had put the fire out by turning off the propane, but apparently the built in fail safe worked. Sounds like an easy fix. Wondering about the "damage" to the gel coat. I'll have to clean it off today and check for serious damage.

So if I am understanding this correctly I should be able to use the electric on my hot water heater?

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 10-10-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I don't really remember if you can use it on electricity, if I remember right you can't, when you go and get the part there are 2 fuses in the pack, nice to have another one..........come on down and we can kill a bottle of B&B....LOL......the black is from the propane buring rich, it cleaned off the side of mine with no problem....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:11 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Careful! The way this trip has been going heading "south" is tempting. Good, I'll grab a towel and see if the black rubs off. Thanks for the hard won expertise.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 10-31-2009, 01:07 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Update on the fire .... apparently the hot water heater works fine but it was adjusted to burn too rich. It has been re-calibrated and apparently all is well now. I forgot to ask about the gel coat, but since they didn't say anything hopefully no worries there.

Quite the trip. On the way back I got a squeaking noise from my truck wheels. My brakes hung up! So that had to be taken care of.

This past Tuesday I was in a serious accident with the truck. Someone ran a red light and I hit them at about 45mph. Fortunately we were both able to walk away from the accident. Oddly, my air bags did not deploy. Just got word yesterday that the repairs have been approved by insurance company. Don't have a final estimate but it will be between $12-15,000 depending on what they run into.

So I'm pretty happy this is the last day in October. I'm hoping to leave all the misfortune behind with happier days ahead!

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 10-31-2009, 03:21 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Well all I can say is, I hope you have had all the bad luck and now some good things will come your way. Glad no one was hurt in the acident. It must have been terrible for that much damage.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:03 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes. DO NOT go trick-or-treating tonight!

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:26 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 10-31-2009, 07:33 AM   #11
Site Team

Al:
I can see why you will be happy to have Oct. come to a close.
If it wasn't for bad luck---you wouldn't have had any luck at all.
Hope that's the end of your string.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Just picked up my truck from the body shop. The final bill was just under $14000. My brakes locked up again and I just returned from having the calipers replaced, as the brakes are new.

Brought the trailer home in the dark. I'll have to make sure everything is okay tomorrow when it's daylight.

Called the place where I store truck/trailer and made sure he was available so I can drop off the duo.

I'd say November is looking up already.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL