Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

As I have done for most of the last 20 years I took a few extra days off to make it up to our favorite (out of cell phone range) camping area for a few extra days of R&R. We left Wednesday, early afternoon and by 4:00PM were set up and relaxing. I remember confiding to the wife I usually could never completely relax until Friday afternoon knowing work still had to be done. But this year I felt my staff was on top of things and I was already relaxed knowing things were in good hands. So I enjoyed the evening, the camp fire and the company of friends. On Thursday evening a friend showed up and handed me a newspaper and said I should read it..... The cover page showed a picture of my office building in flames...Our company is spread out in several buildings in the area. But the building where my department is located was burning!

The fire broke out just about the time on Wednesday I waskicking back feeling all was good.Fortunately, all made it out in time and no injuries.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/19520753/detail.html

(Before I left work on Tuesday I thought about grabbing my laptop. But thought no, I won't need that.. I am on vacation)

My brother who works for the same company but in a different department and different building showed up in the campground Saturday morning and said things were being taken care of so we would be operational on Tuesday morning and the boss had told him to tell me to not worry about things.... So I was able to enjoy the rest of my vacation (sort of). Things have been a little disrupted this week as we try to stay on top of things while recovering things from our old office. We are squeezed into some areas of our main office that were unoccupied.

Our office in the building that burned was in the far end of the building opposite from where the fire was, so mostly only smoke and water damage. So we are better off than some of the other businesses in the building. As I said, no one was injured, all got out in time. So we are very fortunate in that regard.

Of course when I pulled in the slideout on the traileron Monday morning preparing to come come home, I saw my street side rear tire was flat. Very small inconvenience considering every thing else...

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Patrick:

Sorry to hear about the fire. Seems like those things have a way of happening whenever we are not around. Glad everyone at the office got out safe and you were able to continue to enjoy your mini-vacation. (Except for the flat tire.)
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Sorry to hear about the fire. It does make a flat tire seem like a little thing. At least no one was injured in the fire and the flat wasn't a blow-out that caused extensive damage to your camper.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote