Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

New with questions

Ok, we are brand new to this forum but also to the world of RVing.

We have a 2015 Crossroads travel trailer. We are starting to get it ready for our first adventure.

I have this Question: If we are not connected to anything... electrical, etc. The lights work off of LP ? Or off the battery ? I think the refridgerator works off the LP ? However, I thought the outlets would work too. Am I wrong ? I want to be wrong... because than we don't have a problem. We have no electricity now.
One more question ? We just brought "Zoey" home a few weeks ago. Waiting for Spring. We have blinkers that work on the trailer. The driver's side brake light works. But the passenger side brake light doesn't work.

Any ideas what it could be ? Is there something we can check or do ?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks !

Fawn & Mike

Madison, WI
2015 Crossroads Z-1
Chevy Silverado
Foreverfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

When not connected to electric power your lights are running off the battery. All of the lights are 12 volt. You are correct that the fridge is LP powered when not connected to electric. When the switch on the fridge is set to Auto, it selects 120 volt, if connected, or LP.

You won't have any power to the outlets unless connected to electric. The trailer has a converter, which provides 12v power from the battery and converts 120v to 12v when connected. To power outlets you'd need an inverter, which converts 12v to 120v. And you'd need sufficient battery storage to make it worthwhile.

As to the brake light problem, I'd start at the connection on the truck (where the trailer plugs in) and look for corrosion. Offhand I don't remember which pins power the brake lights, but get a can of contact cleaner and give it a good spray. There could be corrosion present even if doesn't look bad. The light bulb itself is OK, since the brakes and turn signals use the same filament. Again, I'd start at the plug.

Good luck, and welcome!

John & Cindy
Central Pennsylvania

2015 CrossRoads Z-1 208FL
JEH412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Welcome to the forum and RVing. I am still new to RVing (2014). Your lights when not connected would run off your camper battery. Your outlets will not work without hook up or generator. Your fridge probably will work on either LP or electricity, like mine.

For the brake light if you have the time and they are close your dealer should fix that. Hopefully nothing more than a bulb issue.

There are plenty of people on this forum that have way more experience and knowledge than I do and they are always willing to help so don't be afraid to ask.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

???

The outlets are always 120 so you need to be plugged in for them to work. Your assumptions are right about everything else. I would carefully pop the lense off the tail light and check the bulb first, then you have to check the pin in then tow vehicle for the brake light for power. You have good ground for the turn to work. Good luck enjoy the mountains.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

First off welcome to the forum. I just want to add that when running off LP the fridge still needs the 12 volts from the battery. I highly recommend your first trip to be locally where you can work some of the bugs out and get acquainted with your new TT. (travel trailer)

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:30 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

welcome to the forum. The other posts are correct. Be aware that when the fridge is running on 12v when in auto mode, it will drain the battery quickly. We always run on gas if not on shore power. When we are on the road we do leave the fridge turned on in gas mode to keep things cold, however we do turn it off when fueling. Enjoy.
2001 ford excursion 7.3 diesel
Rick G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:42 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

About the brake light problem...hook your truck to another trailer's plug and see if the same thing happens. That way you can narrow down if it is the truck or the trailer side that is the problem. Or have another truck hook up to your trailers plug.
probably a ground problem.....

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Things that run on 12V include the lights, the slide-outs, the furnace fan, the hood fan over the stove and the water pump. The bathroom fan maybe too. We have a fifth wheel so the front jacks also work on 12V. Anything you would plug in (TV, microwave, all outlets) and the hot water tank on electric will not run on 12V. The hot water tank can be run on LP instead.

We always travel with some water in the fresh water tank so if we need to stop for a bathroom break or lunch we can wash our hands and flush the toilet. Even if you are at a campground it is a good idea to have water in the tank in case their water system goes on the fritz. This has happened a few times to us.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G. View Post
welcome to the forum. The other posts are correct. Be aware that when the fridge is running on 12v when in auto mode, it will drain the battery quickly. We always run on gas if not on shore power. When we are on the road we do leave the fridge turned on in gas mode to keep things cold, however we do turn it off when fueling. Enjoy.

I don't think the fridges they use in the new RVs have the ability to run on 12V.
As far as I know, they are electric, (120V) and/or LP.

But you are right Rick. The old one's that were three way fridges would kill the battery in a short amount of time running on 12V.
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I wont comment on some of your other questions because everyone has pretty much covered those. As for the one brake light not working, I can relate to this. We had a similar issue with another trailer we had. Both turn signals worked and one brake light would work. Here is what we did to fix our problem with only one break light working. First we checked the obvious, bulb, wiring connections behind light, corrosion in light socket. When none of these presented an issue we started tracing the wiring back towards the front of the trailer. Come to find out ours was caused by a bad connection in the junction box where your trailer plug is connected to your trailer wiring. I hope this helps you out and good luck.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

That is a really good example of 7 pin plug. I am going to download it. Thanks.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Check the fuse box under tte hood there is a fuse for the right side light and a seperat one for the left side lights
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingcpl View Post
I wont comment on some of your other questions because everyone has pretty much covered those. As for the one brake light not working, I can relate to this. We had a similar issue with another trailer we had. Both turn signals worked and one brake light would work. Here is what we did to fix our problem with only one break light working. First we checked the obvious, bulb, wiring connections behind light, corrosion in light socket. When none of these presented an issue we started tracing the wiring back towards the front of the trailer. Come to find out ours was caused by a bad connection in the junction box where your trailer plug is connected to your trailer wiring. I hope this helps you out and good luck.

Can you post this picture in the "Documents" section??

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:06 AM   #14
Site Team

Done

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:14 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Thanks!!!

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Also, on the battery piece - you need either some juice in your battery or plugged in to shore power in order for the hot water tank to ignite on gas and the frig to ignite on gas. If the battery is dead, these won't ignite.

From tent camping to 2013 - Sunset Trail Reserve 32 Bunk House
Crobyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Pinkard View Post
Can you post this picture in the "Documents" section??
Here's one I've been using and sharing. Just another perspective. Seems like a lot of problems relate to this plug. Perhaps the unusual numbering sequence. FWIW, my Nissan Titan has two fuses under the hood, one each for right and left turn signal to the connector.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7-way diagram.jpg (76.7 KB, 9 views)
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
Here's one I've been using and sharing. Just another perspective. Seems like a lot of problems relate to this plug. Perhaps the unusual numbering sequence. FWIW, my Nissan Titan has two fuses under the hood, one each for right and left turn signal to the connector.
Even better as it shows both TV and TT ends. Vote it be included too.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #19
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
Even better as it shows both TV and TT ends. Vote it be included too.
I'll second that
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:37 PM   #20
Site Team

Added to documents.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote