Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
New Camper

Pets

Do any of you know if it is legal to put your pets in the camper while driving?

We currently bring our two dogs with us, in the truck, when traveling. Have thought it would be much more comfortable and less stressful if they were to be in their cages while driving

Thanks
Pearls Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Most state laws are dealing with pets being a cause of distracted driving. The biggest concern for me would be temperature control inside the trailer on hot days. I realize some people will take issue with concerns over a trailer having an accident and how the pet fairs back their. All I know is when I'm transporting my horses there in a trailer and not riding with me in the TV. In Ohio they allow a dog to be transported in the back of a pickup truck as long as it's either theathered or crated.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I tried it with a cat years ago and he was frightened to come out of his hiding spot. I stayed in the trailer for about 1 mile on a back road shortly after and realized it is loud back there . They may get spooked with passing vehicles.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondavalk View Post
Most state laws are dealing with pets being a cause of distracted driving. The biggest concern for me would be temperature control inside the trailer on hot days. I realize some people will take issue with concerns over a trailer having an accident and how the pet fairs back their. All I know is when I'm transporting my horses there in a trailer and not riding with me in the TV. In Ohio they allow a dog to be transported in the back of a pickup truck as long as it's either theathered or crated.
I would have to agree with hondavalk, the heat is what would stop me from leaving my dog back there. Well that and he has to be where the people are.

Screen Name = half Labrador, half Beagle and full of attitude.
Labbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

My pets are my copilot. Plenty of funny pics showing them looking down the road. Can't compare horses to canines....
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphrider View Post
My pets are my copilot. Plenty of funny pics showing them looking down the road. Can't compare horses to canines....
My son's orange bearded dragon likes to ride on the dashboard. But he could probably stand the heat of the camper.

Screen Name = half Labrador, half Beagle and full of attitude.
Labbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:47 PM   #7
New Camper

We tried both in the camper and the back of the truck in a crate that was strapped down. The dogs didnt like. We stepped up to quad cab and everyone was much happier and safer.
Boyerg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:38 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

When we had a quad cab, we got a hammock like thing that hooked to the headrest in front and back and the dogs loved it - no danger from falling onto the floor when braking or stepping into a crack between seats, etc...

With it, we didn't see a need to tether or belt them in... one was 120 lb lab and the current one is a 65 lb pitt mix that graduated to the coach and has the run of it, but sleeps in between the front seats
Old 03-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I read on a camper forum somewhere that someone had their pets in the camper with the top vents cracked and when they arrived at their destination their pet had died from carbon monoxide poisoning being sucked into the unit from the highway traffic. Also have read other experiences where others pets were spared just in time from the same situation. I always keep ours in the truck with us. What a horrible way to start a vacation and loose a furry friend.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #10
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
I read on a camper forum somewhere that someone had their pets in the camper with the top vents cracked and when they arrived at their destination their pet had died from carbon monoxide poisoning being sucked into the unit from the highway traffic. Also have read other experiences where others pets were spared just in time from the same situation. I always keep ours in the truck with us. What a horrible way to start a vacation and loose a furry friend.
I DO NOT advocate hauling your pets in the trailer/5th wheel & would NEVER put mine back there (if we had one), but in my opinion the stories of pets dying from CO due to vents open is a huge load of the proverbial horse s###. If that were the case there would be hundreds/thousands of motorhomes/cars/trucks crashing daily from the occupants dying while driving/riding with the vents or windows open. Granted we've traveled through a few metropolitan areas where you could almost cut the smog with a knife & neither of us croaked.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I DO NOT advocate hauling your pets in the trailer/5th wheel & would NEVER put mine back there (if we had one), but in my opinion the stories of pets dying from CO due to vents open is a huge load of the proverbial horse s###. If that were the case there would be hundreds/thousands of motorhomes/cars/trucks crashing daily from the occupants dying while driving/riding with the vents or windows open.
Well, I can’t disagree whether it’s true or not. Wish I could remember where I read it but it’s been years ago. Might have been on a Jayco forum. But I see your point because I see Class A’s traveling with vent cracked also.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:06 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

They are ANIMALS. Animals get hauled in trucks, trailers, what have you all the time.

I'd rather have them in a travel trailer than 50 or so crammed into a van as most of the "puppy mill" transporters do!

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:56 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

This is a loaded question and opinions vary on what is “humane” for a pet of course. However common sense should prevail here. I personally wouldn’t put my dog in the trailer because my trailer rides rough as indicated by where forgotten loose unsecured items end up when we get to our destination. Plus we vacation where and when it’s hot outside.

The OEM suspension on travel trailers is a a slight step up from the covered wagon. Plus the play at the hitch can cause sway and residual bounce.

I’d say it would be a rough ride for a pet.

I checked into the legality of it a few years go and it wasn’t illegal in any of the states we were traveling and not sure if any In the US have it in the books. There are laws against it abroad though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:01 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Watch this:

Then decide how you feel about putting Fido in the camper. Sure, the trailer was too big for the SUV, yada yada. My point is these things almost always flip or disintegrate in an accident.

Buy this: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=3BP2R2GBCZEBB

We buckle our beagle in the back seat.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote