Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Pick up & shake down trip

My wife and I picked up our new Cruiser last Wednesday and loaded it up for a weekend shake down trip. We had a chance to try most everything out over the weekend and only ran into a few small issues.
1. One of the recliners doesn't want to recline if there is any weight in the seat of the chair. But as soon as you get up the chair reclines fine.
2. We have a couple of leaks around the shower surround.
3. The basement outlet & the outside outlet next to door doesn't work.
We had some rain and some cold weather over the weekend and I'm glad to say no leaks and the furnace and fireplace work very well. One thing I did notice was that the air flow from the vents in the kitchen and living area didn't seem to be really all that strong but the air coming out was still warm. I called our dealer on the issues and they said they will replace the chair, once they get the new chair we will make the appointment to get the trailer in to get the other issues fixed (dealer is about 1 1/2 hours away).

We would also like to compliment our dealership Haylett RV in Cold Water, MI and our salesman Tim Cummings for their great service.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Check the GFI breaker that feeds the outside outlets to be sure it hasn't tripped.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Is your unit a fifth wheel? If so, heat distribution is going to be an issue. Our Cruiser and our Jayco before that had the same problem - lots of heat in the bedroom and bathroom which are at the front of the unit and closest to the furnace, and very little heat in the living area at the rear. We do have a fireplace in our Cruiser so that helps keep the living room warm.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
Is your unit a fifth wheel? If so, heat distribution is going to be an issue. Our Cruiser and our Jayco before that had the same problem - lots of heat in the bedroom and bathroom which are at the front of the unit and closest to the furnace, and very little heat in the living area at the rear. We do have a fireplace in our Cruiser so that helps keep the living room warm.
Just used the furnace this past weekend and did not have the hot bedroom and cooler living area problem. I also have a Cruiser.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Check this out:

http://rvmaintenancetips.com/5th-whe...airs-too-cool/

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russb View Post
Check the GFI breaker that feeds the outside outlets to be sure it hasn't tripped.
I did check the GFI (first thing I checked) and it was good and I have power to one of the other outside outlets. So I'm assuming the problem is the connection from the one working outside outlet to the additonal outside outlet seeing how they are all on the same circuit. I'm pretty good when it comes to electrical and could probably fix it myself but figure since it is a new trailer I would just let the dealer fix it.

Phil & Janine
2014 Cruiser 333RL
Old 05-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
Yes it is a 5th wheel. We didn't have a problem with getting heat in the living area it was just that the air flow wasn't as stong as I feel it should be. And our bedroom and bath are warmer then the living area. It was the same way on our travel trailer we just got rid of. We always used a fan to circulate the heat and everything was good. The 5th wheel has a ceiling fan so we ran that and didn't have much of a problem with keeping the heat fairly even.

Phil & Janine
2014 Cruiser 333RL
Old 05-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #8
Site Team

Some of the guys (my self included) have installed adjustable vents in different places on the heat run. Then you are able to adjust the air flow and heat as needed.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingcpl View Post
I did check the GFI (first thing I checked) and it was good and I have power to one of the other outside outlets. So I'm assuming the problem is the connection from the one working outside outlet to the additonal outside outlet seeing how they are all on the same circuit. I'm pretty good when it comes to electrical and could probably fix it myself but figure since it is a new trailer I would just let the dealer fix it.
There has been reports of the wire connecters coming apart in some of the junction boxes. Might not hurt to open them up and check before it melts the wires or causes something worse.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

In my unit I have two GFI, one the bathroom, and one in the kitchen
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Just an update on our electrical problems. This might be helpful for current owners and future owners of the Cruiser 333RL. We finally got our 5th wheel into the dealers last week to get the 2 outside outlets (one next to entry door and the one in the cargo area) fixed. The dealers tech figured it wouldn't take that long so we had planed on waiting on it seeing how the dealer was almost a 2 hour drive away.

Well first off the tech had thought the same thing as I did that the power for the 2 outlets that were not working came from the 3rd outside outlet (awning light outlet near front cap), both of us were wrong. After a couple of hours I went out to check on the progress and walked into what looked like a bomb went off in our trailer. The tech said that he called Crossroads to get a wiring schematic which he was told that they didn't have one for that model. So he had to start pulling lights, outlets, cabinet panels, etc. to try and find where the wire from the 2 outlets came from. To make a long story short (seeing how we were there for about 9 hours), we found that the wire that went to those 2 outlets came from under the bedslide. It went from under the bed slide, through the floor, across the bed deck to the front cap, up the front cap and into the ceiling, across the ceiling to the coat closet, down the coat closet to the breaker panel and out into the cargo area. After taking the bed out and removing the carpet from the front of the slide and taking off the 2 x 4 he found that they used this flat romex connector that is like a plug that is normaly used to splice together a single piece of romex. They had put 2 pieces of romex into one side of it which was causing the short. He replaced the plug with a proper juction box and now everything works fine and is safe!

Phil & Janine
2014 Cruiser 333RL
Old 06-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
In my unit I have two GFI, one the bathroom, and one in the kitchen
We actually have 3 GFI outlets, one in the bathroom, one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen.

Phil & Janine
2014 Cruiser 333RL
Old 06-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingcpl View Post
Just an update on our electrical problems. This might be helpful for current owners and future owners of the Cruiser 333RL. We finally got our 5th wheel into the dealers last week to get the 2 outside outlets (one next to entry door and the one in the cargo area) fixed. The dealers tech figured it wouldn't take that long so we had planed on waiting on it seeing how the dealer was almost a 2 hour drive away.

Well first off the tech had thought the same thing as I did that the power for the 2 outlets that were not working came from the 3rd outside outlet (awning light outlet near front cap), both of us were wrong. After a couple of hours I went out to check on the progress and walked into what looked like a bomb went off in our trailer. The tech said that he called Crossroads to get a wiring schematic which he was told that they didn't have one for that model. So he had to start pulling lights, outlets, cabinet panels, etc. to try and find where the wire from the 2 outlets came from. To make a long story short (seeing how we were there for about 9 hours), we found that the wire that went to those 2 outlets came from under the bedslide. It went from under the bed slide, through the floor, across the bed deck to the front cap, up the front cap and into the ceiling, across the ceiling to the coat closet, down the coat closet to the breaker panel and out into the cargo area. After taking the bed out and removing the carpet from the front of the slide and taking off the 2 x 4 he found that they used this flat romex connector that is like a plug that is normaly used to splice together a single piece of romex. They had put 2 pieces of romex into one side of it which was causing the short. He replaced the plug with a proper juction box and now everything works fine and is safe!
guess the omish are not electricians.. The company should have a licenced electrician do all the hook ups.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:50 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

as far as the outside outlet not working, you may want to check to see if you have a switch that turns the outlet on and off. Our 32bl has an "on/off" in the status box and marked as "awning outlet"
SCT Flash 4X tune
Billstein upgrade shocks and dampener
2008 Crossroads Cruiser 32BL
RADMiller is offline   Reply With Quote