Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Ready for cooler place next summer.....

Been here on the TX coast for 9 years now. Wife and I can't take the heat like we could a few years back. Looking at spending summers in Colorado. Any tips on where to stay? Probably go up in late May......return here in September. I went to CO back in 2004, but would like some tips from those who fulltime up that way. Thanks in advance!

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:25 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Are you looking for full time for all summer at one place, moving around some or what?

I have personally stayed at Priest Gulch. Home - Priest Gulch Campground, RV Park, and Cabins It was a pretty nice place, not what I am looking for but I can appreciate what it has. Creek running through it, in the woods, but is also not too far from civilization, easy access to lots of fishing areas, near Alta Lake which is one of my favorite hidden places. Seems expensive, but I don't know the rates that are normal for what you are looking for.

How does that compare to what you re envisioning?
Old 07-21-2016, 01:53 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbaZabba View Post
Are you looking for full time for all summer at one place, moving around some or what?

I have personally stayed at Priest Gulch. Home - Priest Gulch Campground, RV Park, and Cabins It was a pretty nice place, not what I am looking for but I can appreciate what it has. Creek running through it, in the woods, but is also not too far from civilization, easy access to lots of fishing areas, near Alta Lake which is one of my favorite hidden places. Seems expensive, but I don't know the rates that are normal for what you are looking for.

How does that compare to what you re envisioning?
Beautiful, but I'm a little leery of camping by those streams. Wonder if they have flash floods there? We may well spend the whole summer in one spot.

I've been looking at Cuchara, CO. We enjoy fishing, and both warm and cold water lakes nearby.

Thanks for the info tho, that's why I posted. Been years since I've been there, and we were picking up equipment at different locations then. Didn't get to tour the country much.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
Old 07-21-2016, 03:12 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Flash floods are always a possibility out here, but I think it is a VERY low probability for that area. The campground would certainly know.

We are going to Gunnison this weekend, I will watch for some options as we drive around. I know there are some options like what you are looking for near Gunnison River and Blue Mesa Reservoir.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Well, DW has decided she would like to go to Oregon as well. Any tips on RV Parks on the Oregon coast?

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
Old 09-27-2016, 10:57 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Colorado is a bit closer

We went to Durango and Colorado Springs last month...
106 degrees on the drive up in Texas and 70's when we got there !!! LOVED it...

We stayed a few miles north of Durango @ Durango Riverside Park, beautiful site on the 'River', they call it a river, but sure looked like a creek to me and the water would have to REALLY come up to flood the sites as the other banks of the creek are much lower...

If you like to four wheel - we went to La Plata COunty Road just southwest of Durango on the way to Mesa Verde....
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...LaPlata+cr-124

The durango to silverton train was stunning...
(but silverton wasn't our cup of tea - I mean if you are staying there long enough to 4 wheel around, maybe so...)

site 14:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2145.jpg (186.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2993.jpg (393.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3001.jpg (299.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3164.jpg (331.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-27-2016, 11:14 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

We will probably go up I 25. Stop off somewhere around La Veta.....up to I 70 and across to Grand Junction. We have friends here that will be there for the summer. Couple weeks there, then who knows where. We'll be back somewhere in south TX for winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
Old 09-27-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Ah - Colorado Springs has a lot to do / see...
Royal Gorge
Rafting
Cheyenne Mountain
Air Force Acadamy
Pikes Peak
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3451671.jpg (353.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 3451723.jpg (166.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Sittin on that river bank would suit me. Maybe grab a cane pole.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
Old 09-27-2016, 03:34 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

There is so much to see and do in Oregon and staying in one spot would be a waste. Anyway Oregon State Parks are probably the best of any state system. You can visit the OSP web site, learn about each park, even see pics of individual sites in some cases and make reservations. I can also recommend Diamond Lk RV Park just outside Crater Lake NP.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
There is so much to see and do in Oregon and staying in one spot would be a waste. Anyway Oregon State Parks are probably the best of any state system. You can visit the OSP web site, learn about each park, even see pics of individual sites in some cases and make reservations. I can also recommend Diamond Lk RV Park just outside Crater Lake NP.

The thing that concerns me is our Rushmore is 39' 11". Many state parks will not accommodate this length. I will definitely look at them though. Thanks!

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK