Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Siding coming off!

I bought my Rv new in November and took it out to my deer lease and as soon as I drove it off the lot I was having brake problems with it. I called my dealership and of course no call back so I opted to take it to the lease and bring it back after hunting season. On my way home from the lease 2 weeks ago I noticed that my siding started to bubble out. By the time I got to my dealership the aluminum siding tore away on 3 sections down the side of my trailer about 10 ft. I am not happy and I am wondering if now after they warranty repair it will I have continued problems with it? Do I ask for a new trailer? Do I ask to put my payments on hold since I won't get to use it for 2 months or more, do they owe me a rental? What are your thoughts?
JR "N" KR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Call dealer first. Unit should be under warranty and they should fix it.

Nope on pmt. hold - legally you can't do that. Pressure on dealer is only way to get it fixed quickly without paying someone.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to tomandlori
We have talked to an attorney. You can stop payment on a unit for this problem. Our camper was at crossroads last year for 7 months for repair under warranty.
tomandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Not sure what withholding payments will do but affect your credit rating. Both the dealer and the mfg. got their monies. Keep pressure on the dealer and CR.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
Site Team

Your payments are with you and your bank or loan company. Does not affect Crossroads. Like salda01 said dealer and Crossroads were paid. Bank will come after you for payments and place you in collections. Not sure what tomandlori's lawyers said, but I know what my brother said as head of the loan department at our local bank: You signed a contract to pay the bank back and your obligation is to do that no matter what your problems are with the dealer or manufacturer. After 30 days of delinquency it goes onto your credit report.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to tomandlori
If you file the correct papers. It does nothing with your credit what so ever. It will be a legal document drawn up by an attorney to the creditors.
tomandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
Site Team

That's going to be a hard sell since it involves only you and your bank. Crossroads is payed and out of the loop. Your lawyer would have to file a lawsuit with Crossroads for a breach of contract or something similar to that. CA-CHING $$$$$$$$

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:42 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Your Lawyer needs to go back to school. The Loan is made by a third party that has nothing to do with the manufacturing of the unit or the sales of the unit. By with holding payments you are defaulting on that Loan..After three monthe's of non payment you are in complete default, and they will come after the unit as a Repo. At that point your credit is completely shot and you will be in the credit basement, which takes years to get out. Just like the myth that a Volentary repo does not hurt your credit wrong once more. Good lukc in your bielf
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:19 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

As others have said, withholding payments is not the answer. The whole reason for a warranty is to address manufacturing defects independent of the financial contract. And there is no reason that you will have the same problem after repair, the siding came loose either due to missing staples or improperly installed staples. Years ago I had a similar but smaller failure, maybe just a couple of staples. I pushed the siding back in place and used caulk to seal the joint. Never had a repeat problem and used the trailer for 7 years.

Regarding loss of use, if you have already scheduled plans to use the unit and it will be unavailable due to the repairs, then I think you could request CR and the dealer to reimburse your out-of-pocket expenses for a rental trailer.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

As with any loan, you can not stop making payments because you are having problems with the product you bought without having a consequence on your credit. If your lawyer is filing loan modification papers with your lending institution, it is up to the lender to accept the change of terms. The fact that you are having a problem with the product will not suffice in most cases. Loan modifications are usually used when the borrower has been laid off, extreme medical bills, etc. Conversely, the lending institution does not want an RV either so they may be willing to make a change but I would not hold my breath.
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Like most of the others have said, not making the payments will do nothing but ruin your credit. It won't affect CR or your dealer in any way, only your lending institution that has done nothing to deserve your wrath. While you have every right to be upset with the quality of the product, you still owe the money to the bank. It would be immoral not to pay it back.

If I were you, I would ask Crossroads to replace the unit with a new one. If they refuse to do so, then ask them to pick it up and take it back to the factory for the repairs. That way, you will be more apt to get it repaired in a way that will satisfy you. I haven't seen too many rental camper trailers around, but they might give you a loaner to use until you get yours back. I would start out being cordial, but firm, about it. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. If you show your tail with them right off the bat, they might not be as easy to work with. Just my two cents. Good luck.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote