Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Surprised how many people don’t take care of their trailers…

After having our 2011 19ft Zinger for a little over a month, and going through it top to bottom and getting it all cleaned up and road worthy….we finally got it out for our first “break-in” camping trip to put it through it’s paces and make sure everything worked like it should. Luckily, we didn’t have any problems…and everything worked great!!
While on our trip, we hit two different camp sites…..and I was shocked to see so many trailers that were in so poor shape. It seemed like there were two types of trailers/owners that I saw. There were the people that had brand spanking new trailers that looked like they just pulled off the lot (or they were older, and the people took really good care of them), and then most everything else looked like the owners never did a single bit of maintenance on them……black streaks down all sides, torn and ripped awnings, low/flat tires, rust spots along the metal flashing on the sides, black mildew covered roof rubber, big areas where the calking was missing or was peeling off…….no wonder why it’s so hard finding used camper trailers that are in decent shape.

Is that pretty much par for the coarse when it comes to camper trailer…..the majority of people really don’t do any maintenance on them at all?
Old 07-05-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Unfortunately, the answer is predominately yes. That is also why many RV parks put an age limit on new guests.

The park DW and I are currently parked in has a RV age limit of 10 years. And they do ask when people are calling for reservations.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
Old 07-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #3
Gone Traveling

What is even more disturbing is how little most of those folks know about an rv, most couldn't change a light bulb or find the fuse/breaker box if their life depended on it.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:47 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Repairs ahead

My RV neighbors have no decals left on their 5th wheel, a torn awning and a leaking roof. They wanted to know why I was washing/waxing my RV. I did NOT answer “so it doesn’t end up looking like yours”.

We grew up with little money and had to work hard for what we have. I have a need and want to take care of what we have. I don’t know where others are coming from but they are headed for expensive, eye opening repairs.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

There are those of us who view our travel trailers as "magic carpets" that take us places. We TRAVEL with the trailers. But everywhere we go, we see so many nice campgrounds littered with old, non-roadworthy vehicles that people have used as dirt-cheap "housing." Some are nice, actually lovely people, but their presence changes the complexion of the whole place. Are these vacation spots or are they destitute squalors?
Dalzell SC
Old 07-06-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Being relatively new to RVing, wherever we go DW and I usually go out for a walk a couple times a day around the park. It's nice to meet some of the other RV'ers and enjoy a little friendly conversation.
As we walk around we find ourselves noticing the other RVs, there's a nice one, wow that one is really nice, that one is a dump or trashy, or there's a nice little Popup nice way to get started.
No matter class your rig is, Class A,C,fiver,TT, Popup or tent, the way you maintain your rig and your site is a direct reflection upon yourself.
In preparing to go out for Independence Day Weekend, I decided to throughly wash our fiver top to bottom. I have been able to keep it parked in the backyard which is certainly handy. We had had a good rain the night before but I didn't think much of it but when it came time to leave between the rains and wash job the ground became pretty soft making it a bit of a challenge getting out of the mud.
Ok, probably wasn't the best time to wash it right after a soaking rain, but it did look nice for the next weekend. I'm still glad I washed it!
Take a little pride in whatever ever you do and wherever you are.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Old 07-08-2016, 07:59 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Remember that some of those in the old run-down campers may have that as their only home and be in poor health to boot. I'm not nearly as froggy as I used to be! When your joints hurt from first thing in the morning to bedtime, it's hard to convince yourself that today's priority should be spending an hour (or two or three) vigorously scrubbing the camper down, waxing it, and so forth. I would love to hire someone to clean that puppy, but well, I have to pay that bill, and I should get a little food.
I've lived on both sides of that block. There but by the grace of God go I.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:43 AM   #8
Gone Traveling

Being poor is not an excuse to being a lazy slob! Most every park I've been to had trash pickup weekly, but they don't pick it up at your front door. Nowadays if they skipped one carton of cigarettes & a case of beer they could get it washed, I use to smoke, still drink a beer, but the smoking got way too expensive.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #9
Site Team

I think we all should be a little more careful on being to judgemental.
As the old saying goes---Until you have walked a mile in my moccasins, don't pass judgement.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:14 PM   #10
Site Team

Ok, we now know that some people don't maintain their rv's. Not sure much more can be said about it. Plus I don't want to create hard feelings for any member on this forum.

So, THIS THREAD IS CLOSED

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
Closed Thread