Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

I have been looking into putting on a 5 inch exhaust system by MBRP. I was looking to lower my EGT's while towing and I have been told this exhaust can lower them by 200 degrees. I was just wondering if anyone on here has experience running one of these exhaust system and how loud it it. It would be going on a 2003 Ram 2500 with a Cummins.

Thanks

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Longhauler,
I'll be interested in the replies. I am thinking of adding a Bully Dog but have been hesitant to do so because of the EGT's. I'm not looking for horsepower, moreover I'm looking for fuel savings and the security of having the tools the device offers.

thanks,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Chris, I will give you my experience with my old 2005 CTD. First I had a Quadzilla Commander in my truck so I could monitor my engine functions. To be honest a 4" exhaust and the stock intake on the CTD will handle up to 500 hp so the 5" is really overkill unless you plan on modding heavy. I had a 4" MBRP exhaust on my 05 and by the Commander it lowered my EGT about 150* while towing. It will be a little louder than the stock exhaust but mine never seemed to bother us. Hope this helps.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
Chris, I will give you my experience with my old 2005 CTD. First I had a Quadzilla Commander in my truck so I could monitor my engine functions. To be honest a 4" exhaust and the stock intake on the CTD will handle up to 500 hp so the 5" is really overkill unless you plan on modding heavy. I had a 4" MBRP exhaust on my 05 and by the Commander it lowered my EGT about 150* while towing. It will be a little louder than the stock exhaust but mine never seemed to bother us. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info, I think I will get the the 4 inch I don't think the 5 inch is worth $175 more dollars.

2015stats:
Old 02-21-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
Site Team

Not trying to be a smart a++, but, in my opinion, neither one of them are worth the money for the kind of work we have our trucks doing.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

from my exprence from pulling RVs out of IN. you can gain some good things by doing what you want to do but you have to go the whole thing that is cold air intake bigger exhaust and also chip the engine if you don't do it all the benefits for your truck hope this helps you make your mind up
Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperjim

from my exprence from pulling RVs out of IN. you can gain some good things by doing what you want to do but you have to go the whole thing that is cold air intake bigger exhaust and also chip the engine if you don't do it all the benefits for your truck hope this helps you make your mind up
Camperjim, thanks for your response I do have the Edge Juice already on the truck and I ordered the cold air intake and the 4 inch exhaust so I should be set.

2015stats:
Old 02-22-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Lloyd,
I don't consider anything you say to be "smart-***" or "off-cue". Now, having said that, are you saying you wouldn't put the air-intake or the larger exhaust system on? Are you saying the "tuner" will do enough on it's own, or are you saying you wouldn't put a tuner on at all?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
Old 02-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #9
Site Team

Jim, I had the Bully Dog on my Duramax. It was fun. Needless to say the power was very impressive! It increased my mileage approx. 5mpg running empty. That is what I bought it for.
I have worked with big and small farm tractors for a good many years. I have also been a licensed truck driver for many years. So I figure I am some what knowledgeable on the workings of a diesel engine. Not an authority by any means tho.
This "my" opinion.
Like I stated earlier, I don't think the average person needs all of that on the truck. You might "want" it on there, but with the driving most of us do, I myself just can't see any way to justify it. Lets face it, that stuff ain't cheap, they get pretty good bucks for it.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:05 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Lloyd,
I drive very "respectfully". My wife averages 32mpg on her Honda Accord. Tuesday I took her to Chicago for her surgery on Wednesday. We got home Wednesday night and I filled it up and we got over 36mpg...of course I never go over 65, even in that wicked Chicago traffic where it says "55" and the average speed is between 75 and 80. I get lots of fingers and dirty looks, but that don't bother me none...

I can get a Bully Dog for my F-250 for around $445...if fuel stays where it is and I can get 4-5 more MPG's driving empty then I think I will get one. We plan on driving almost 7,000 miles just from one campgound to another this year. So, with all the driving we will be doing to "sight-see" I will be happy to be able to get more mpg's.

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
Old 02-22-2013, 05:04 AM   #11
Site Team

Talk with the dealer about a used one. He might just have one on hand or know of someone who does. My nephew put one in his truck last summer for around $225--$250
There should be a few out there for your year of truck. Guys are trading and updating all the time.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

When I bought my 05 with 21K miles, the previous owner had put a 5 inch turbo back complete system on it with a modified air intake. The muffer only looked like a muffler, it was totally open. The noise or drone from this truck especially when towing my 5th wheel was unbearable!!! After the very first trip when returning home I put a complete stock 4 inch OEM exhaust back on, removed the air intake and went back to stock. I figured if I had one break down while under warranty the folks at Dodge would notvoid my warranty if the truck was stock. I noticed two things very quickly. First of all my seat of the pants feeling was I had lost NO POWER or TORQUE plus the fuel mileage was about the same both towing and non towing. Secondly I was much impressed with the sound of my truck. It still gave me the good diesel growl when under load but it no longer was so offensive at certain RPMs. Don't waste your money altering these trucks. The engineers have obviously already done the calculations and designed these things to be as powerful and efficient as possible.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Dog

When I bought my 05 with 21K miles, the previous owner had put a 5 inch turbo back complete system on it with a modified air intake. The muffer only looked like a muffler, it was totally open. The noise or drone from this truck especially when towing my 5th wheel was unbearable!!! After the very first trip when returning home I put a complete stock 4 inch OEM exhaust back on, removed the air intake and went back to stock. I figured if I had one break down while under warranty the folks at Dodge would notvoid my warranty if the truck was stock. I noticed two things very quickly. First of all my seat of the pants feeling was I had lost NO POWER or TORQUE plus the fuel mileage was about the same both towing and non towing. Secondly I was much impressed with the sound of my truck. It still gave me the good diesel growl when under load but it no longer was so offensive at certain RPMs. Don't waste your money altering these trucks. The engineers have obviously already done the calculations and designed these things to be as powerful and efficient as possible.
Thanks for the info, I'm surprised you didn't see any difference when you took the stuff off. Everyone I have talked to over forums have stated their EGT's went down about 150 to 200 degrees. I'm not looking for the noise and that is why I purchased the 4 inch system over the 5 inch, but I do like a good sounding truck. I will follow up with any performance or mpg gains after I get it installed.

2015stats:
Old 03-02-2013, 03:15 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Seat of the pants does not SHOW whats going on with the truck (not knocking you just saying). Gauges indicate what is going on. My Edge Evolution has theabilityto show 4 functions at a time with 20+ items to choose from ( fuel pressure,engine load,boost pressure,EGT...).
Pulling my 7000 lbs TT in Utah I had 100% load 20 PSI 1400 deg EGT (1300 is max forextendedtime). Stockexhaust is fine IF you don't work your truck. Read your truck forums...duramxforum most people will tell you a 5" pipe is for 600+ HP some stock air filter are good for 4-500 HP. I know of 1 guy that put a 5" with dual tail 4" per side on a Cummins that CLAIMS no noise. And another that had 5" on a Duramax that was LOUD pulling 5th wheel. I have a 4" Hearthob
turbo back systemorderednow to cool her down, also blocking the EGR to keep her clean. My mechanic did a older Power Stroker and the down pipe is almost flat for 2-3 feet...customer was veryimpressed by the seat of the pants method and ordered another for his newer Ford.

As for goingcompletelyback to stock I would have changed to another muffler.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:24 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Bump.

longhauler did you go with an exhaust system or not?

I've noticed when I'm passing on 2 lane roads the truck doesn't blow black like when I had just the programmer in. The turbo spools faster so truck doesn't go rich (black smoke) on passing. EGT's drop much faster when getting out of the throttle.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by we-canoe
Bump.

longhauler did you go with an exhaust system or not?

I've noticed when I'm passing on 2 lane roads the truck doesn't blow black like when I had just the programmer in. The turbo spools faster so truck doesn't go rich (black smoke) on passing. EGT's drop much faster when getting out of the throttle.
Well I did get the exhaust, however I ended up buying a new truck a week after I got it and sent the exhaust back.

2015stats:
Old 07-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

I took my '06 to Banks Engineering in Azusa, CA and had them install a Speed Brake with the Banks IQ; then they installed the Air Intake System with the Ram Scoop; next was the Monster Exhaust; and finally the Banks Tuner. It was definitely cheaper than a brand new truck. My towing mileage increased to over 10 mpg and not towing went to around 17 mpg. My towing weight is around 23,000 lbs. EGT verys because of because of outside temp, speed, climbing or going down hill.

Jim & Linda with Candy Bar and Misty
'06 Chev 3500 DuraMax w/Banks
'10 Seville
'09 GL1800 Hannigan Trike
GSCM USN(Ret)
ALR,PGR,VFW 3788, AL460
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker

I took my '06 to Banks Engineering in Azusa, CA and had them install a Speed Brake with the Banks IQ; then they installed the Air Intake System with the Ram Scoop; next was the Monster Exhaust; and finally the Banks Tuner. It was definitely cheaper than a brand new truck. My towing mileage increased to over 10 mpg and not towing went to around 17 mpg. My towing weight is around 23,000 lbs. EGT verys because of because of outside temp, speed, climbing or going down hill.
Wow, I bet all that work made a huge difference. That's nice you live that close to Banks. I want to get the Banks cold air intake, just not sure if its worth the money yet.

2015stats:
Old 07-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Chris, I used to live in San Diego but moved in '07 to AL, got everything installed when we made a couple of trips back to CA. If you get the air intake you should get the exhaust. Good luck, it will make a difference.

Jim & Linda with Candy Bar and Misty
'06 Chev 3500 DuraMax w/Banks
'10 Seville
'09 GL1800 Hannigan Trike
GSCM USN(Ret)
ALR,PGR,VFW 3788, AL460
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote