Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

We had a small Bissell rechargeable vac, but it didn't take long to wear out. Now we need to replace it.

Good? Small size, easy to pack up out of the way, rechargeable so no cords to plug/unplug/move.

Bad? Charge would only hold for a short time and limited suction.

If you have something to recommend that you have been happy with I'd like to hear about it.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Last year I bought a cordless Hoover Stic Vac with a rotating brush. It would hold a charge for quite a long time but was an absolute piece of crap. It would suck up dirt for about 30 sec, then the filter would be plugged. The worst cordless vaccuum I ever purchased. Now in my house we have a Black and Decker 9.6v wet/dry vac we use constantly. I use to pack it along in the RV but grew tired of packing the charger back and forth from the house, the reason for buying the hoover. Long story short, I too am looking for something that is powerful enough, holds a charge, and compact, and stick type.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

We have a really small scale Â*Red upright Dirt Devil for the trailer and I swear it has better suction than a lot of full size vacuums. Â*It is very light weight, it is bagless and has the clear see thru cylinder that you just dump. Â*I highly recommend this unit and another camper recommended it to me. Â*It does have a cord but it is long enough to do my whole 35 ft trailer in one go without having to unplug and move it to another socket. Â*I store it up against the end wall in the bedroom closet and it takes up very little room.Â*
albianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I saw the Dirt Devil tonight and the Eureka 431DX. The Eureka was a little more but had a switch to turn the brush off when doing the vinyl floor. Otherwise about the same size. Both look like like good options.

Also looked at the stick vacs and they don't cut it. Don't have enough suction and don't have the agitator brush for the carpeting. The one that did have enough suction cost $60 more than either the Dirt Devil or the Eureka.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 05-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I think I have the bottom of the line Dirt Devil that has no on- board tools, I think I paid under 50.00 for it and it has fantastic suction. Â*We are neat freaks and never really have too much mess but I swear the suction actually sucks the wool off of the carpet, haha, I will vacuum when it might not even look too bad and still I end up with stuff in the cannister.
albianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

We bought the Eureka 431DXat Costco shortly after we bought our fiver. in almost 5 years of service in the trailerit has done the job pretty good. In fact our house vacuum crapped out recently and while we were deciding what to get to replace it with, my wife just brought the Eureka in from the trailerto use in the house. It has worked well enough that 5 weeks later we still haven't bought a replacement for the house vacuum. If you can just get over the color of the thing it works pretty good.

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

We use a corded dirt devil, the little one with the beater bar. It reallygets the dog hair and gravel out of the carpet. I'll deal with the cord for the extra suction. I store it under the bed. We use lots of throw rugs that I shake out.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

We bought an 18 volt Black & Decker cordless about 1-1/2 years ago. Have used both at home and in the trailer. Works great. Has beater bar or vacuum only switch. Multi-position handle makes it easy to get under things. Folds in half for storage on charger base. Best cordless we have ever had. Here is a link for it.

http://blackanddecker.com/ProductGui...roductID=19194
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

We have an old corded dirt devil hand vac. It has a beater bar and does a great job on the carpet. I also bought a cordless dustbuster (I think thats the brand) that is pretty heavy duty. We use it for quick cleaning of crumbs and stuff like that. It is also nice to take to the truck and do a quick vac. It is nice because it has an "on board" crevice tool. When ever we get home from camping DW always runs the Dyson on the carpet just to really get it clean.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:05 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

For occasional trips (vacations/long weekends) Lonnie's vacuum system is what worked well for us for many years. You can always use a better vac at home after you return. However, this will not work well for season lease use unless we decide to lug the home vac back and forth. Not our preferred option.

We saw the stick vacs from $29.99 to 199.99 and looked at both the Dirt Devil and Eureka models. The places we went did not carry the Black & Decker. We came home with the Eureka 431DX, which seems to be the best solution for us for our situation.

Thank you all for your input!

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

Old 05-11-2010, 05:41 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

We use this works great, I already bring my cordless drill and it uses the same battery

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10051

2009 Duramax 2500HD CC
jyoung2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I don't know, some people may not like it, it's made in Hong Kong and not the US of A. Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone, but got tired of hearing about tires not made locally.

Looks good, I never even thought to look at Dewalt,I have enough of their tools this would work out perfect. Thanks! Edited by: ryeja

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:16 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

The wife picked up the upright Dirt Devil at a rummage sale for $5 and it works great. Gets all the dog hair!

07 Chevy Silverado Z71

07 Zinger 32QB

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k/P1000558.jpg
thegreatcanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #14
New Camper

I think the rest of the forum has the answer for you. Everyone
including me seem to like the Dirt Devil.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:04 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

We also have the Dirt Devil. It doesn't require bags, has great suction and fits right beside the bedroom chest in our 30SK. You can buy the replacement filters that are scented which makes the 5er smell great.

Jasper, AL

2009 30SK

[https://i565.photobucket.com/albums/s...andCruiser.jpg
kjones9820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

We had a dirt devil hand vac that was junk. We bought a Hoover Nano light upright compact vacuum for less than $50. It's fantastic! We travel with a long haired black cat and the hand held vacs wouldn't pick up his hair or cat litter he would kick out onto the floor. This vacuum picks it up easily. It doesn't have bags, just a cylinder you dump the dirt out off and a washable filter. The weight is 12 lbs. and the handle compresses down to be able to fit in the small coat closet. We highly recommend this vacuum, it blows a dirt devel out of the water.

Porterville, Ca.

2006 Cruiser CF29CK owner pulled with a 2006 GMC crewcab LBZ Duramax

Contributing forum member since 2006
gbsell@sbcglobal.net is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hershey PA | Prayer »