Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2015, 07:05 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

WeBoost Drive 4G-X

A WeBoost Drive 4G-X will be delivered today. As my wife works from home, we need reliable phone and data service if we're going to take advantage of the fact that I have more accumulated leave than she does. I'll be installing a 12v outlet to power the booster. WeBoost (formerly Wilson) indicates the stubby mag antenna is best with this unit for data. In other places I found that the metal ground requirement can be met with an 8" metal plate - painted white and siliconed to the roof so the antenna just sits on it. I'm still looking at where to run the antenna wire; some have pierced a skylight which seems pretty easy to seal with silicone. We're pulling a Z1 218TD with my Suzuki Boulevard safe and secure on the deck. I anticipate pulling that 12volt from the radio and mounting the booster in the cabinets over the rear couch, and then placing the interior antenna on the back wall, between the couch and the dinette. It claims an interior range of up to 6', depending on the outside signal, and so the phone or hotspot anywhere nearby should find the boosted signal and the computer or bluetooth phone headset should work anywhere inside. I'll plan to post more about how it works. The Drive 4G-X is pricey, but the need is more than convenience. Last year we were in a park outside of Yellowstone with "free wifi". It worked great, at 2:00a.m., but it seemed that if more than 5 people logged on the connections went to pot. To grab a signal for a conference call my wife had to drive a mile from camp, up on top of a ridge (I could see her from the trailer) where she could get a signal. Look forward to using this new equipment.
kvmllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:47 AM   #2
Site Team

I use the Wilson phone booster. We are pretty well satisfied with the performance. Our only complaint is with the inside antenna. We find that the phone has to be closer then the distance they advertize to get a strong signal.

On the routing of your coax--I would suggest running it down the fridge vent on the roof. Then directing it to where ever you want. Drilling a hole thru your sky lite might create future problems with leaks or the lite it's self cracking.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

mounting the booster

Lloyd, thanks for that suggestion. I have looked at the roof, been reading threads, and the fridge vent might be the best option for the wire. Once it's set up I'll post more about how it works.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

The unit arrived and I finally started looking more closely. If I run the wire down the opposite side of this unit (from the fridge), the wire can run through a window that is right below the 12v outlet for the TV, which is above the dining table which is where the computer will be used. So, easy peasy. No holes, no mess, and everything is where it belongs. Now, to see if the tool actually works as intended!
Old 08-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Disappointed, to say the least. I installed the WeBoost and we headed to Idaho/Montana. The first park was under ledge and there was no signal, period. No signal, nothing to boost. That's reasonable. As we traveled we crossed an area with "4G" but no bars (when there's no service the phone displays bars with a slash across them). The Boost made no difference here either. Finally, the next park had 2-3 bars. Whether the Boost was on or off, it was still 2-3 bars. When I contacted Tech Support at WeBoost, the technician wanted me to climb on the roof of my RV and hold the phone physically against the antenna for some sort of test - I declined. While it seemed like a good idea, it's way too expensive to not be able to see any improvement in connectivity. It's going back.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Thank you for the review. I was researching these devices awhile back but have not acted on it yet.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote