Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
New Camper

I used my outside 110V recepticle for a small pressure washer and it tripped the power off. Now only half of the travel trailers 110V power works. I have checked the 110V breakers and none are tripped. I can only locate 1 GFCI and it is in the bathroom and it is working fine. It acts as if a GFCI is tripped but the only one I can locate is working. I'm sure its something simple I am over looking but............
Any suggestions would be appreciated

2003 28" Cruiser travel trailer
Old 06-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Check for another GFI plug in the kitchen area. Ours is up under one of the cabinets.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

X2 what Hunter11 said.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

That would be my guess also. We have two one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Yup...what they said...mines behind the coffee pot in kitchen...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:43 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhayman
I used my outside 110V recepticle for a small pressure washer and it tripped the power off. Now only half of the travel trailers 110V power works. I have checked the 110V breakers and none are tripped. I can only locate 1 GFCI and it is in the bathroom and it is working fine. It acts as if a GFCI is tripped but the only one I can locate is working. I'm sure its something simple I am over looking but............
Any suggestions would be appreciated

2003 28" Cruiser travel trailer

Agree with the others but don't assume that because the breakers aren't physically tripped, that they're still on. they can trip and still show in the "on" position . If you can't find another gfi, untrip all breakers and re-trip just to be sure.

Do you have a washer/dryer combo? If so, look in that area too for another gfi.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I have seen GFCI outlets that don't control the outlet the breaker is in but others downstream; so just because the outlet works doesn't mean that the GFCI mounted in that outlet is working.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
New Camper

I'm back finally. My 84 yr old dad fell and broke his pelvis so I have been out of business for a while.
I am finally back to my trailer and still have the same issue. I have searched the trailer top to bottom several times and I can only find one gfci. One gfci in bath works along with half of 110 outlets. I checked all breakers with multi meter and they all have power leaving them.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:30 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Look for an outlet mounted under a cabinet. That is where my living room/kitchen gfci is located. Almost positive there will be two of them.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:24 AM   #10
New Camper

I have an outlet under cabinets in Kitchen but it is not a gfci. It doesn't work either, I have to run an extension cord from a living room outlet for the coffee pot
Old 07-19-2013, 05:53 AM   #11
Site Team

If you haven't done it already, look out side under your trailer and see if there is any junction boxes tucked up next to the floor. If there is, and you still haven't solved your problem, I would open them up and see if there is any loose wires in them. Make sure you have the trailer unplug from shore power.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

I read somwhere that a fridge can be on a GFCI outlet. What were you doing with the pressure washer, any chance you got water into the outside fridge panels. Just a hunch.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhayman
I have an outlet under cabinets in Kitchen but it is not a gfci. It doesn't work either, I have to run an extension cord from a living room outlet for the coffee pot

That outlet is GFCI protected, by 1 of your other GFCI outlets. Probably the one in the Bathroom or outside. You can have up to five regular outlets protected by a single GFCI outlet. Once you find the offending GFCI, I believe you will fget power back to the outlet in the kitchen as well

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:00 AM   #14
New Camper

I finally got the power issue resolved. I started checking power at the outlets and found the one behind the coach in the slide out and the one in dining area only had 45 volts when touching the hot and neutral slots in the receptical. They had 110v when I would touch the ground wire on my meter to the ground slot I the receptacle. So now I new it was a white neutral wire problem. All connection in breaker box were good and tight. I started removing receptacles and checking their connections. I never removed an rv receptacle before, I can not express CHEAP enough. The wires go in or through the receptacle and they are pushed down into a metal slot that cuts through the wire insulation to make contacts. The receptacle with two sets of wires work ok. The one in the dining area had three wires. The outside wire was the power feeding the other two sets of wires and the neutral wire was out of the metal slot. Putting three wires into the slot opened the slot too wide so the outside wires could not make good contact. I removed the receptacle and used wire nuts to connect them together, BINGO, all plugs work. I just need to replace the receptacle now. I checked each receptacle in the rv one at a time and all the ones that were not working are powered from the bathroom gfci. The breaker for these is labeled "back". There is another breaker labeled "front" that powers all the receptacle in front of the rv. I have no problem with these but they are all labeled gfci protected and I can not locate another gfci. None of the front outlets are near water so am wondering if maybe they are not protected by a gfci but were labeled as such because they got a good deal by purchasing a bunch at a time. Maybe this post will help out someone else who has a similar problem. Thanks to all for your feedback.
Randy
Old 07-21-2013, 03:24 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Thats some great troubleshooting, Glad you found your issue and thanks for sharing your correction for others to learn from.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:47 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

A bit of a head scratcher glad you finally nailed it. Thanks for posting the results.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #17
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

Most techs at a dealership would prolly never have found that. Well, they might have after they replaced everything electrical in the trailer, including your coffee pot. At your expense.

Thanks for posting what you found.

Pnr is offline   Reply With Quote